Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: amnesty

Default amnesty

if there were ever a amnesty on machine guns, could a full auto parts kit be registered as a full auto then built into one?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: amnesty

It would depend on the scope of the amnesty, but as to your question...not likely.

I believe the previous amnesty was aimed at registering weapons that were not on the registry but existed as unregistered contraband.

The rationale for the previous amnesty is PROBABLY since the the NFA registry was and still is a major goat F*** and far from being a generous nod for the NFA community, it was actually a last ditch effort at straightening out a record-keeping system that had been created in the 1930's and not updated until the 80's..and then not very well at all.

My recollection was that the previous amnesty of 1968 did not really affect those in the business of creating weapons, since they US gov.org still accepted form 1's up until may of 1986, when they illegally stopped accepting the tax. I have not read the act, so this is educated guesswork.

Since the amnesty was geared towards ww2 bring backs and imported weapons prior to 68, I don't think that your parts kit is going to be able to be registered since it is not a firearm at all, but rather the parts to complete a firearm. You would need to be in non-compliance with an unregistered MG in order to benefit from an amnesty, not a good position to be in, actually.

IF and this is a big IF, the amnesty were general, then you could theoretically file a form 1 to CREATE a receiver and hence a MG.

Understand that such an amnesty is not a likely occurrance, since the original amnesty was supposed to have been 90 days long, and only lasted 30.

Since the balance of the 60 days is still available for use that would be the most likely possibility, and that possibility is a million to one.

You are almost asking a theoretical question along the lines of "would the Easter Bunny bring me a toy instead of chocolate if I were a diabetic"....

but then, since we are dealing in fantasy, we might as well dream big...

(Allegheny County)

Only for illegal aliens.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by nfafan View Post
    Only for illegal aliens.
    Sad, but true.

i was just thinking if it did happen like that it would be wise to buy some parts kits while they are cheap... just a thought

(Lancaster County)

Hey, buying parts kits for a favorite MG that you don't own already is a good idea, regardless of any amnesty.

They are not making any more of most of them...solid investments all...

(Chester County)

I bought a few Sten kits a couple years back and they have already DOUBLED in value.....

ok, they were 30 bucks each, so I'm not retiring on it.

(Washington County)

If I had to guess, I would say that they would only allow you to register existing machine guns. If it's a parts kit, it's not a machine gun. If you try to register your AR-15 as an M-16 and it's not full-auto, they may not allow it.

Your $30 sten kits that doubled in value, I'll give you $60 each for them!

Vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

(Berks County)

They will only allow you to register weapons that were here prior to 70 amnesty. While it is called "amnesty" you can still be prosecuted for making false statements. So if you have the bright idea of trying to register a new colt receiver, DIAS,...etc they are going to know and prosecute you.

By the way, it is comments like these that will destroy our opportunity for an amnesty because the BATFE will assert that their concern that people will try to register weapons that would have never been registered if the NFRTR was accurate, is proven by people's intentions and statements to register such weapons.
    Last edited by SigForLife; September 19th, 2007 at 07:56 AM.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by SigForLife View Post
    They will only allow you to register weapons that were here prior to 70 amnesty.
    What is "70 amnesty"?

The real push for an amnesty is to fix the mistakes in the Federal registry. It is documented that there are legally registered machine guns out there that ATF has NO record of. This is because many of the records were lost or thrown out by lazy employees, mostly in the 1980's.

An amnesty could entail everyone having to re-register their MG's even if they're already legal, just to make sure it's in the registry.

This is why it's VERY important to keep your Form 4 in a safe place. It may be the only thing in the world that can prove your MG is legal!

vince
    www.bloomautomatic.com - Golf Ball Launchers for AR-15, SKS, FAL, and many others

www.bloomautomatic.com/lbsc - Long Branch Sportsman's Club, Long Branch, PA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast