Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default disappearing posts?

I made a post yesterday and last i checked there were two responces, this morning there were none. What happened. It was a WTB gun safe in teh everything else forum. I know networkpenguin responded with a link to some safes on ebay. i cant remember the first responce.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: disappearing posts?

I would presume it's related to this.

I think the MODS are trying to keep classifieds from turning into discussion or chat threads.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Delaware County)

NEW RULES have been posted concerning the AD area, read about it here:

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/forum-ann...tml#post107552
    Last edited by soberbyker; September 16th, 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: ETA D-FENS beat me to this by a few seconds

(Lebanon County)

I understand the reason and logic to the new rules, I've seen too many posts that say things like "Wow that's a good deal but I can't afford it" or "Dang, that's a pretty high price for that", or "I have 3 of those and I love/hate them" and I agree that those comments are unnecessary and off topic, but I think there are some responses that are indeed appropriate that are being deleted because they don't fit the absolute definition.
    Moderators and Administrators please consider the following.
    I have something listed for sale. I had a response stating that a PM has been sent. Then I see another response that says something to the effect of "I'm interested if it's still available". (This responder didn't send a PM). The first interested party lost interest so I go back to see who else is interested and I don't see the other post. Luckily my memory isn't too bad (yet) and I look up the other member's user name and contact him. He obviously hasn't seen the post or sticky regarding the new rules, or like me, didn't think that a post expressing 'interest if still available' was against the rules, or that a PM is absolutely necessary to communicate in this forum. If this second deal doesn't work out, I'll be wondering if I missed another opportunity because a post by someone else who didn't see or completely understand the sticky was deleted while I wasn't looking. Sure, I could bump the original post, but what if someone is interested and sees that he's been overlooked and thinks that I would just rather not do business with him? What about time wasted waiting for a response that has already been posted, but then deleted?
    We are growing at a pretty rapid rate and not all new members (or some of the older ones for that matter, we're all only human) are up on everything that's going on.
    If someone asks a specific question about size, color, model number, age or something else that a seller may have overlooked, it could be a benefit to anyone else who happens to be looking at the ad. Some things that are not specifically stating that a PM or email has been sent should be left in the thread for the benefit of the seller AND any interested parties.
    Thank you for your consideration.
    (And no, I'm not going to get pissed off and never come back if you don't do things my way, I'm just expressing my opinion and asking for consideration of some tempering of the new rules).

my suggestion would be lock every thread thats made in the classified section with a note saying to PM the person or something along those lines if you dont want people posting there... you cant be deleting peoples posts asking about the gun or if its still available there will be to many missed opportunities, we all know everyone isnt going to read all the rules, and some people might sign up just for something they see for sale... things commenting on the gun or price i can see, but not a post asking a legit question

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    my suggestion would be lock every thread thats made in the classified section with a note saying to PM the person or something along those lines if you dont want people posting there... you cant be deleting peoples posts asking about the gun or if its still available there will be to many missed opportunities, we all know everyone isnt going to read all the rules, and some people might sign up just for something they see for sale... things commenting on the gun or price i can see, but not a post asking a legit question
    This could easily be done with the right permission settings (members below moderator can start new topics, but not reply to any except their own). It might not be a bad idea, though I think just enforcing common etiquette is the best idea (i.e. don't troll or bump for ads).

I personally do not see a problem if some one comes out saying a price is high or absurd. I don’t think the posts should be deleted for that, and I agree that deleting posts could cost some one a sale.

Set-a-part completely slanderous posts, where one would claim that some one is completely trying to screw some one over, I don’t see the need to correct any one. Just as I don’t see the need to not correct some one who is completely wrong in a post.
    Just my .02 cents, but when you post for free on a board, you can expect a bit of criticism and a bit of negotiating.
    Prices in one area of the state not being the same as in other parts of the state, there can quite logically be a reason for a price hike or drop. That is the beauty of the internet is it not?

It is quite possible that some one post the sale for an item that is either already known to be dysfunctional or simply obsolete where parts or service is no longer available, and this item was once worth some thing to the original owner and he/she not know it is now almost worthless now. The information is not always about bashing the seller or buyer, it is some times about real time info that can benefit more then one person.

IE: some one might post a load of .223 or 9mm rounds for reload and some one might come back and say “Wait, these are berdan” and cant be reloaded and save face for both the seller and buyer. Not every one who picks up rounds checks these things.
    I believe discretion should be used when ever modifying or deleting a post as the seller may “gain” knowledge from the re-posts.

Again just my .02 cents, but I have seen posts that really needed to be deleted and where not in the past, and others from what we see here that where and may not have a reason to be.
    The one thing I would love to see is a SOLD on the posts when they are actually sold, many people post things, then never revue them to say they are no longer available.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    The one thing I would love to see is a SOLD on the posts when they are actually sold, many people post things, then never revue them to say they are no longer available.
    for what it is worth , my hacked on mosin has been sold but I can't tell anyone since it was locked , do I care? I'll get over it I am sure , i sometimes forget forums are not for talking

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I personally do not see a problem if some one comes out saying a price is high or absurd. I don’t think the posts should be deleted for that, and I agree that deleting posts could cost some one a sale.

Set-a-part completely slanderous posts, where one would claim that some one is completely trying to screw some one over, I don’t see the need to correct any one. Just as I don’t see the need to not correct some one who is completely wrong in a post.
    Just my .02 cents, but when you post for free on a board, you can expect a bit of criticism and a bit of negotiating.
    Prices in one area of the state not being the same as in other parts of the state, there can quite logically be a reason for a price hike or drop. That is the beauty of the internet is it not?

It is quite possible that some one post the sale for an item that is either already known to be dysfunctional or simply obsolete where parts or service is no longer available, and this item was once worth some thing to the original owner and he/she not know it is now almost worthless now. The information is not always about bashing the seller or buyer, it is some times about real time info that can benefit more then one person.

IE: some one might post a load of .223 or 9mm rounds for reload and some one might come back and say “Wait, these are berdan” and cant be reloaded and save face for both the seller and buyer. Not every one who picks up rounds checks these things.
    I believe discretion should be used when ever modifying or deleting a post as the seller may “gain” knowledge from the re-posts.

Again just my .02 cents, but I have seen posts that really needed to be deleted and where not in the past, and others from what we see here that where and may not have a reason to be.
    I understand slanderous post and they should be stopped. But some info has been useful. Such as when someone may suggest that the price is to high, the seller may not realize it at the time. Heck, I may not realize it. I want to know this info myself. Some people ask good questions that I not only learn to ask, but I may just learn from.... I want to know what the pros and cons of this item are. It is by reading some of the follow ups that I may make my decision to purchase this item. You may ask a question I hadn't thought of, but is a really good question.

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    for what it is worth , my hacked on mosin has been sold but I can't tell anyone since it was locked , do I care? I'll get over it I am sure , i sometimes forget forums are not for talking
    If the item is sold. The entire post should be removed. That way I don't waste my time even checking it out. If the item has been sold, the thread should be removed totally. Why keep a thread if the item is sold? The only threads on there should be ones that are still active.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Montgomery County)

the change came about because folks could not behave in the ad forums.

if something is for sale, dont dicuss th relative merits of the caliber/weapon/alloy/mags/ whatever, if you want to discuss that, go hit the proper posting forum for that weapon

also, if folks read the rules change, I put an example of how a complete ad should read.

make your ad as detailed as possible....this can be crucial in making a sale.

Spend the extra 30 seconds it takes to add the info buyers want in order to buy your item.

include a list of accessories, does it come with a box? Are you willing to ship? How old is it? are fees included?

things like that, a little bit of forethought saves everybody time.

post your ads, if someone PMs about additional info you forgot to include, GO EDIT YOUR AD, the board makes that easy.

if you think the price is too high, email/pm the poster politely, explain your thoughts as to why, if they agree, its possible they will change thier price by EDITING THEIR AD.

frankly, the whole issue became a problem due to the lots of folks hitting the report post button, price flames, childish BS, etc

True, the site gets larger all the time, and as it gets larger, with more and more members, the site requires more work to maintain, so a semblance of order has been imposed to try and limit the increasing administration time spent fixing posts, cleaning threads, and examining reported posts.

also, its not possible to email everyone when a post gets deleted, sorry to say, there just is not enough time.

as for removing sold threads, many folks never update the ad to say its BEEN SOLD, so add that, plus even more admin time constantly cleaning the forum of old posts, and now it becomes a full time job for the staff...who of course actually have full time jobs elsewhere

so, lets keep the threads clean, and less problems for the buyers and sellers, and less admin time for the staff is the desired result.

it would also be helpful if folks would consistently place their posts in the right forums for the topic, but thats a pipedream
    Last edited by JayBell; September 18th, 2007 at 01:57 AM.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply