Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default State verse National Background check

I see a lot about doing away with the State Background check because of all the problems. And why have double anyway?

But it made me wonder, what is the difference between the two? Does one look for things the other does not? Is it harder to pass one more than the other?

Anyone know?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: State verse National Background check

NICS is the national background check ran by the FBI. States that have opted to do their own background checks are called POCS. All POCS states use NICS's databases, and whatever of their own state databases on top of that.

The reason why nearly every state that opted to be a POCS is because they had stricker possession standards than federal, and the federal system didn't account for state prohibitors(like PA's 6105).

Just about two years ago NICS incorporated state prohibitors.

With PA's PICS, instead of a FBI employee in Clarksville WV doing your background check, a PA State Police employee is doing it in Harrisburg. They still look at the NICS databases, but also PA's databases too.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

I have a feeling, that NICS can simply be shut with executive order ot due to "computer glitch". We have more power with our own state comparing to the federal level, so let's not fix something, that isnt broken.
    Je suis déplorable

There are plenty of ways that the system can "spin" things against you, or remain neutral. It's a judgment call whether a particular conviction for a violent act was "domestic". Whether someone's arrest for possession of weed makes him a "current" user of illegal drugs. Whether treatment for PTSD by the VA counts as a "commitment". Things like that.

The PSP is closely responsible to us, the citizens of Pennsylvania, who are the largest gun-owning group in the nation. The FBI, on the other hand, is run by Eric Holder, who hates you and thinks you suck.

Why anyone would believe that taking our background checks away from the locals and handing them over to Holder and Obama, is a mystery that is probably best explained by a combination of ignorance and irrational hatred for the State Police in general.

True conservatives favor local control over centralized control. They oppose "regionalizing" things like school funding and textbooks. They like to have the more-responsive states do any needed micro-managing, instead of letting people like Schumer and Pelosi and Reid find the lowest common denominator and cramming NYC standards down the throats of rural Pennsylvanians.

If the NICS people displease us, we're just a few million gun owners in "Pennsyltucky", and they weren't really counting on our votes anyway. Unfairly screwing over gun owners is actually pretty popular with their base, the urban folks in all those states around us and in California.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Does the NICS system use an unconstitutional gun registration data base called Record of Sale?
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    I have a feeling, that NICS can simply be shut with executive order ot due to "computer glitch". We have more power with our own state comparing to the federal level, so let's not fix something, that isnt broken.
    I agree with you but,
    Pics looks at nics so if nics shuts down so does pics. I lived through many pics stoppages when Ed was governor. That is what started the whole let's go with nics movement not some desire to subjugate ourselves farther down the road to statism or hatred of the state police. Service sucked. Remember that shit when you find yourself looking at a wolf in November.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferG View Post
    Does the NICS system use an unconstitutional gun registration data base called Record of Sale?
    No, but then neither does PICS.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Siobhra View Post
    I see a lot about doing away with the State Background check because of all the problems. And why have double anyway?

But it made me wonder, what is the difference between the two? Does one look for things the other does not? Is it harder to pass one more than the other?

Anyone know?

http://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-infor...ual_Report.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (73.5 KB, 87 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (100.7 KB, 87 views)
    IANAL

Anything that gets the power to decide whether I'm allowed to have the rights inherent in my being a natural person away from the Feds and closer to home is a good thing. As others have said, if Eric Holder says I can't have my rights, I have very little practical recourse. If Tom Corbett says I can't have my rights, I know where he lives and where his office is and who every one of his supporters are. I have a phone and a pen. Don't be a Federalist.

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

NICS is free, PICS isn't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast