Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Going to NY for a Halloween Party - Can I Take a Non-firing gun?

The title says it all, pretty much. I'm going to a party up there and my Halloween outfit this year is going to be military. While in PA, I'll have my Glock as a part of my getout, but one of the parties I am going to is in NY. We may be staying in NJ the night of, since we'll be out LATE.

Question is, if I pull the firing pin out of the weapon and make it unusable, will I be able to carry it legally up there, and possibly in NJ?

My knowledge of the laws in those states is severely lacking, and I'm not quite sure where to look. Thanks in advance.
    Junior

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Going to NY for a Halloween Party - Can I Take a Non-firing gun?

I don't know, but you have to be crazy to try it.

I'm guessing it would be illegal, because the frame of the firearm is usually the part that is considered the "firearm."

Even if it was somehow legal, you wouldn't be able to have the magazine if it holds more than 10 rounds in NY or 15 rounds in NJ.

Here's a link you can look through:

http://www.nraila.org/statelawpdfs/NYSL.pdf
    Last edited by bac0nfat; September 11th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

(York County)

Illegal.

I would use a fake plastic gun for the outfit and in pa i would conceal my real gun.

(Lehigh County)

If you like playing with fire, sure give it a try.... seriously, I wouldn't tempt fate. Just way too many things to go horribly wrong for a one night costume.

Just my two cents.

NY and NJ? You're kidding, right? If you leave the firing pin at home, at least you'll give your lawyer a little something to work with. Assume that NY and NJ will arrest you on the spot, and your explanation about a firing pin will be of little interest to their humorless judicial system. As I recall, NYC requires that a replica handgun be either clear or brightly colored plastic. If you have a spare $100K an 7-10 years to find out, go for it.

(Bucks County)

Viper, we're not gonna see another "Police took my gun, can someone lend me a firearm?" thread are we?

(Chester County)

NJS 2C:39-1
    k."Handgun" means any pistol, revolver or other firearm originally designed or manufactured to be fired by the use of a single hand.

r."Weapon" means anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury. The term includes, but is not limited to, all (1) firearms, even though not loaded or lacking a clip or other component to render them immediately operable;
    I suspect that its illegal in NY also.
    IANAL

Haven't you had enough 'fun' with cops for one year?

I mean seriously, with your track record so far in 2011 I seriously have to question your sanity about even trying such a stunt!

I can see the headline now in the Daily News:

Police fire 200 rounds at man carrying 'sterile gun', hit him 22 times

Oh and BTW, I met a bail bondsman from NJ a few years back at the Split Rock show. We had a nice long talk because he was a 'unicorn', (had a NJ permit) ... he told me about a guy he bailed out of jail not 6 months prior for only having the FRAME of a Glock in his car under the seat. It had been sitting under there for years and the guy had totally forgotten it.

(Northampton County)

You of all people should not be tempting fate!
    you have zero luck with police.
    If i were you, I wouldn't even carry a toy gun there!
    "Cogito, ergo armatum sum"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast