Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Philadelphia - Is This Normal?

Saw a sign today, on the door of the building housing the Concealed Weapon Permit Unit of the PPD at 10th & Spring Garden Streets, saying that no new permits are being issued until further notice - though applications are still being accepted. I'm wondering: is this unusual? Does anyone know if this is something that occurs on a regular basis? Has this anything to do with the change in administrations? Has the new mayor ordered the police to stop issuing permits? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia - Is This Normal?

First time I've heard of that, I'll call them tomorrow.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Northumberland County)

havent heard anything... a bit unnerving though.

(Allegheny County)

hmm can only wonder. Is there any legislation in the pipe that could perhaps allow them to stop issuing ltcf's? Just wondering if it is a technical issue/legal issue.

(Chester County)

They mayor cannot order the sheriff to stop processing permits. It's a state issued permit handled at the county level by the sheriff.

This cannot possibly be legal. Farking Republic of Philthadelphia.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    They mayor cannot order the sheriff to stop processing permits. It's a state issued permit handled at the county level by the sheriff.

This cannot possibly be legal. Farking Republic of Philthadelphia.
    FWIW, While you're right that local authorities can not supersede state LTCF laws, In Philadelphia, the Police handle the license, not the sheriff.

PCS Title 18, Chapter 61, Subchapter A, § 6109
    (b) Place of application.--An individual who is 21 years of age or older may apply to a sheriff for a license to carry a firearm concealed on or about his person or in a vehicle within this Commonwealth. If the applicant is a resident of this Commonwealth, he shall make application with the sheriff of the county in which he resides or, if a resident of a city of the first class, with the chief of police of that city.
    The City of Philadelphia is the only "city of the first class" in PA.

(Chester County)

I wasn't aware it was up to the Cheif of Police in Philadelphia. There is a new Chief now right?

I wonder if the "Crime Emergency" has anything to do with this.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Philadelphia County)

This is VERY unnerving!!! I heard a brief interview with Ramsey (new CoP) on NPR this morning. The guy sounds like a (opposite of "less")ron. What struck me was his comment on one of the ways "he would reduce crimes" ... by checking anyone on the street with a "heavy jacket pocket". Apparently, it was for "their own good" to check someone pocket that "weighs down like as if there were a gun in it". WOW!!! Has he EVER heard of HOLSTERS! He owes the mayor a full proposal on ways to fight crimes later this month or this quarter, I don't remember, but it would be very interesting. I sense many lawsuits coming up.

I applied for my permit 3 weeks ago and wonder if it's affected. Craps...looks like I have to get an FLA OoS carry permit.

Thanks OP for bringing this to our attention. More details please, anyone!

+Al

(Snyder County)

I had heard that the machine that makes the plastic cards was out of order and they didn't know when they were going to get it fixed.

But as far as I know, the plastic cards are not required and some counties still offer the paper as an alternative. So why can't philly just go back to giving out the paper ones (and a discount)?

Also, what is happening to the extra money that is being paid on every permit to help with these machines? Why can't they tap into that....

Kinda seems off though, that if the machine was really broken, that they wouldn't just put that on the sign.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    This is VERY unnerving!!! I heard a brief interview with Ramsey (new CoP) on NPR this morning. The guy sounds like a (opposite of "less")ron. What struck me was his comment on one of the ways "he would reduce crimes" ... by checking anyone on the street with a "heavy jacket pocket". Apparently, it was for "their own good" to check someone pocket that "weighs down like as if there were a gun in it". WOW!!! Has he EVER heard of HOLSTERS! He owes the mayor a full proposal on ways to fight crimes later this month or this quarter, I don't remember, but it would be very interesting. I sense many lawsuits coming up.

I applied for my permit 3 weeks ago and wonder if it's affected. Craps...looks like I have to get an FLA OoS carry permit.

Thanks OP for bringing this to our attention. More details please, anyone!

+Al

If that is the way they will do things, someone spot me some gas money.. I'll load down my pockets with as many pistols as I can put in them. And walk all over the city..

I'm seeing big $ signs in my future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast