Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Used Guns, How much is to much?

For the last month or so I have been checking out the classified section and I notice that some people are asking more for some guns than you can buy them for new. Possibly they purchased a gun when it first came out and supply was low so they paid more for the gun then you can buy it for now? In some cases guns are advertised at roughly $25 less than new. How much do you have to save to make it worth buying used? For a $25 difference I would just purchase new. What are your thoughts?

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Used Guns, How much is to much?

I agree. For me to buy a "used" firearm, even low usage, it needs to be a deal. AT LEAST 20% off ($500 gun for $400).

Unknowns, time and hassle are not worth my effort for the 10 bucks off these ridiculous threads in the classified are going for... lol

(Philadelphia County)

Caveat Emptor.

(Allegheny County)

Most of the time you will find that the posted price is high and used as a starting point for negotiation, it is not the final price. People post high with a real number much lower, they can't post low and negotiate higher. People on this forum also tend to take care of their guns much better and upgrade them quite a bit so the value is there. For example my Glocks all have extended hardware, stainless or tungsten rods, extra mags and are in perfect shape. I'll ask for $500 which is only $50 lower for a gen 4 new but you save time and shipping charges for all the upgrades, about +$100. Also unlike armslist there is a feedback post so from my experience the guns descriptions are more accurate.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    Caveat Emptor.
    Could not agree more. Buyer beware for sure. Doing your homework is key.

(Chester County)

I've seen that too. This may sound trite, but, its a free market, and they are asking what they *think* it is worth. If you believe they are asking too much, you could try an offer and see if the seller accepts your offer.

Sometimes the seller is trying to recover what they spent for it during a panic. "I bought this WASR with one mag for $1200, but I'll let it go for $1100"

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post
    Most of the time you will find that the posted price is high and used as a starting point for negotiation, it is not the final price. People post high with a real number much lower, they can't post low and negotiate higher. People on this forum also tend to take care of their guns much better and upgrade them quite a bit so the value is there. For example my Glocks all have extended hardware, stainless or tungsten rods, extra mags and are in perfect shape. I'll ask for $500 which is only $50 lower for a gen 4 new but you save time and shipping charges for all the upgrades, about +$100. Also unlike armslist there is a feedback post so from my experience the guns descriptions are more accurate.
    All good points, most guns that have upgrades and extras like additional magazines, holsters and maybe a couple boxs of ammo are usually very detailed and justify the cost. But a bone stock Ruger LCP 380 for $350 when you can get a new one anywhere for $299. Going to be hard to sell at that price.

(Montgomery County)

I have sold multiple guns on here, and have one for sale now. I typically discount by approx. 20% unless I have extras I need to include. I actually have a Sig up for sale now at 27% discount on a new gun. It's a very difficult gun to find, I take great care of my firearms, and I still put a nice discount on it.

At the end of the day I don't care what people price their firearms at. They own them, they have every right to set any asking price they want.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    I agree. For me to buy a "used" firearm, even low usage, it needs to be a deal. AT LEAST 20% off ($500 gun for $400).

Unknowns, time and hassle are not worth my effort for the 10 bucks off these ridiculous threads in the classified are going for... lol
    Kind of what he said. If i can get one new for 10/15% more, i'll go new.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mike12_nguyen View Post

Yup. I'd never post a firearm at the price I want to get out of it. Even if the buyer KNOWS the original price is more than you expected to get, as a buyer, there's a certain feeling of satisfaction of getting something for less than original price.

Upgrades are a tricky thing. If the potential buyer isn't impressed by them, they have almost zero influence on what will be offered. Personally, I look at upgrades and accessories as "bonuses". I factor them into the price I think it's worth, but not by much unless it's an upgrade I would actually have wanted in the long run.

Another thing to factor in is shipping and FFL transfer fees. AND the difference in price between a gun bought in a store vs one bought privately when factoring in TAX paid. Sometimes the savings on a private sale can be substantial when those things are avoided. (long guns)

I've bought guns here from members after having negotiated a lower price, and I've bought guns by saying "I'll take it" just because I felt the price listed was already fair. I don't need to get it at a steal - I just need to get what I want at a price I'm willing to pay.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast