Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Dented Cartriges

I have a Springfield XD40. I bought it used but it was in like new condition and the mags that came with it are like new also. In fact I think one was never used before I bought it. Anyway, The springs in the mags are very stiff. So much so that it is really tough getting the last two or three rounds loaded.

So last night I was getting ready to go to the range and as I was unloading the mags I noticed a small dent in round #10 and #11 in both mags. No dent in #12 because it was the last round loaded. I think what's happening is as I load the last few rounds the pressure needed is causing the dent in the round prior to the one I am loading. The dents are about half way down the brass and there seems like there is no other deformity in the cartridge. I don't know if it matters but it's Federal Hydra-shock ammo. So I have two questions.

1. Am I loading my mags the wrong way?

2. Are the rounds that are dented still safe to use?

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

Default Re: Dented Cartriges

If it's a light dent, use it, big dent, your call if you want to use it but I would single load it and fire it off. The spring for the clip may need to be worked out a bit. Try loading only 9 or 10 round for a while.

Default Re: Dented Cartriges

Thanks for the advise Bob. The dents are'nt too big so I'll shoot thm next time I'm at the range.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown