Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Clairification needed: employed by PA, and driving a state owned vehicle

I dont recall seeing anything in the UFA addressing this. Can you still legally carry a handgun for protection with your LTCF in the course of your duties at work?
    Last edited by xd675; December 25th, 2008 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling

(Berks County)

Default Re: Clairification needed: employed by PA, and driving a state owned vehicle

This is really something that is covered by your employers HR manual. Generally the answer is no. If you are not required to be armed for you job, HR should be spelling out a big no no in the policies and procedures manual.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Clairification needed: employed by PA, and driving a state owned vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by adp113 View Post
    This is really something that is covered by your employers HR manual. Generally the answer is no. If you are not required to be armed for you job, HR should be spelling out a big no no in the policies and procedures manual.
    Let me clarify, the position they have offered means I would work from home. Occasionally I would report back to Harrisburg for meetings etc, but other than that I would work from home, and the bulk of my driving would be to areas I could legally carry already in the state.

I just need to know if PA has anything forbidding me from legally carrying in a state issued vehicle.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by adp113 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xd675 View Post
    Let me clarify, the position they have offered means I would work from home. Occasionally I would report back to Harrisburg for meetings etc, but other than that I would work from home, and the bulk of my driving would be to areas I could legally carry already in the state.

I just need to know if PA has anything forbidding me from legally carrying in a state issued vehicle.
    Pretty much answered right there. A LTCF gives you permission to carry a loaded handgun in a car. The real question goes to who the car belongs to in the case of an employers car.

Man I sure will be sorry when the holiday season is over, don't think soberbyker can top that Banner.

(Cambria County)

I know it is posted that you can't carry where I work(State Prison). Can't even have it in your car on the grounds. But never gave much thought to other State Employees. (Penndot?)

I would have to agree that it should be legal. If you legally can walk into a state run business and not be in violation with your LTCF. I don't see why the car should be any different.

Just make sure your not driving to a area that you aren't allowed to have a firearm in your possession. We have a big problem with Truckers coming to our jail for deliveries. And then they have a firearm in the truck. Big NO NO for State Penns.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by xd675 View Post

I think you just might have answered this. If you are driving their car, they are paying you, and you are out and about doing work and representing yourself as a PA state employee you should get clarification from HR. Working from home has little to do with this.

Lets say... Your firearm discharges in the car. You will have to explain 1) why you had a firearm with you while working 2) Why you were using the state car for non work purposes or 3) just cover it up and hope no questions arise. Next let suppose... Your firearm is stolen from that vehicle do you 1) report that the firearm was missing from the vehicle - which will go on the police report also explaining the broken window 2) report the break in but not the loss of the firearm 3) file a false report and claim that the firearm went missing somewhere else.

I know it is a lot of what ifs. But, just because you don't have regular office hours or space does not exempt you from state HR rules. I know this from working for a gov't body. Unless it is the one arming you, training you, and assuming the liability for use of a firearm, the answer is a giant crappy NO.

I work for the State of WV and have to deal with this.

http://www.state.wv.us/admin/personn...S/Worksecp.pdf

(Lackawanna County)

Wow, those are some very restrictive guidelines you have to follow "indianjack". I just don't understand the Government anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchAngelCD View Post
    Wow, those are some very restrictive guidelines you have to follow "indianjack". I just don't understand the Government anymore.
    Right and WV is concidered a pro gun state.