Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Va residents...carry laws?

I wasn't sure if there was a specific place for asking about laws in other states so I am putting it here. Hope that is ok. We will be traveling to VA later this month (VA Beach to be more specific) and I was wondering if anyone could give me a run down of the carry laws there? concealed and open carry please. My husband will want to know even though he will not likely carry anyway. He will probably frown on my wanting to carry as he always has. I have family there but if I ask my dad to look it up his response will be "leave your guns at home!" I already know that we'll have to use extreme caution traveling through certain communist states....really just concerned about VA itself. TIA for any info anyone has.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Va residents...carry laws?

For the most part, VA is a VERY gun carry friendly state.

OC without license is legal. VA and PA have an agreement for CC. If you all dont have a LTCF, you can OC in your car so long as the firearm is clearly visible, IE: on your dash.

You MUST open carry in places that serve alcohol - concealed carry is forbidden even with a license.

VA does have it's versions of Philly where carrying will get the attention of LEO's - but for the most part they know the law better than most PA LEO's.

The off limits places are listed on this .pdf file from http://www.handgunlaw.us

just click on the blue "VA" in the top of the document.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USOffLimitsN-W.pdf
    Last edited by knight0334; June 30th, 2008 at 01:19 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lebanon County)

Thanks. I appreciate it. I am checking out ranges now although several of them require a sponsor and I had no luck posting in the ranges section here so.... *slams head on desk* I suspect I will have time this evening to go out and shoot but of course if I don't have anywhere to go and shoot I'll be outta luck.

(Lebanon County)

I'm going to look at the links you posted but I have to address this...

You MUST open carry in places that serve alcohol - concealed carry is forbidden even with a license.
    You say "places that SERVE" so that means like a bar or restaurant, right? Not the grocery stores that just sell it, correct? I'm asking because most grocery stores in Pa do not sell alcohol and one would not think about such a place possibly being catagorized as a place that "serves". I have never thought of a grocery store as "serving" me but you never know how the law is interpreted and like I said I am going to look over the links you posted anyway but thought I would ask if you specifically know anyway....

(Lebanon County)

Ok, it clarifies right away...a restaurant or club with a license to serve alcoholic beverages...says nothing about grocery stores so far...

(Luzerne County)

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Lebanon County)

Thanks. Printing this now. I am sure it will be very handy.

(Delaware County)

Don't forget the NRA range - nice 50 yard indoor range - can shoot anything up to .460's if I remember correctly.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/nrahqrange/
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Lebanon County)

Thanks. Might have to check that out now that you mention it!

I didn't get to carry in VA Beach, but I was in Richmond two weekends ago for a convention. I was all over the place OC and CC without a problem, including a couple of restaurants where I had to OC because of alcohol being served. I also OC'd at a few gas stations along the trip down and back. MD was a bit of a problem. Going down on I 81 wasn't too bad, but if you come up through the eastern shore, make sure you stop and pee before you cross the MD line, so you don't have to stop anywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast