Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Need direction & advice on AR platform.

I will preface this with the fact I have spent about 3 days searching. Trying to catch up, but I have to be terribly honest. Some of the legalese, and interpretation makes me just scratch my head. So I'm a super noob. Be as evil as you like, answers are more important to me than delivery.

I know it has been mentioned the AR platform is "snobby" or only pursued because people see them on TV. But I normally buy based on modability and healthy aftermarket. The same reasons I buy cars. Which is my profession. And I've just never been a big AK guy. This is just to start, not saying I wouldn't be interested in just about anything. I am considering building it, for personal satisfaction and knowledge gained by starting with a pile of parts. And ending with a gun.

Not an NFA / SBR project.

Can I order parts from anywhere? (Such as out of state) Are their any legal aspects I need to be aware of?

Something fun to shoot for me and the wifey. She's small. 5'3 100lbs. So I was thinking of a 16" barrel and focusing on keeping it as light as possible. But also maintaining simplicity and sane cost where possible.

I've been looking at some of the kits. But still reading on what works best with what... and making a picture in my head of a finished product.

Or should I buy a complete one to start and build later.

?
    Last edited by Asmodeus6; June 15th, 2008 at 11:32 PM.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Need direction & advice legal & platform.

Lightweight 16" build. A decent brake/flash suppressor. Anything else and she may struggle...

But.....don't take my word for it....let her shoot some.

If it won't run.....I'll help fix it.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Need direction & advice on AR platform.

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Can I order parts from anywhere? (Such as out of state) Are their any legal aspects I need to be aware of?

I've been looking at some of the kits. But still reading on what works best with what... and making a picture in my head of a finished product.

?
    Ok, I apologize but lacking further info I will just assume that you are just starting out, so If I tell you something you already know, don't worry about it.

There's some good news if you'd like to build an AR from scratch, I've never done so but I was an armorer in the army, it's a dead simple rifle to assemble once you figure it out. According to the ATF, the only part of an AR that counts as a gun is the lower receiver,meaning that this is the only part you have have shipped through an FFL. Every single other part can be shipped directly to you through the mail with no middle man. The only slightly tricky parts are installing the trigger group, but you can buy one with that already installed or for utter simplicity buy something like Chip McCormick's drop in trigger. The other one that requires a little work is installing a barrel. There are many many links out there to guides that will take you step by step, like this one.
    But basically when it comes down to it, if you can change a set of spark plugs I'm sure you can assemble an AR from nothing but a pile of parts. You'll also save a bunch of money and get exactly what you want that way. Good luck, hope I wasn't too pedantic, and let me assure you that an M4 profile AR15 would be perfectly fine for your wife, there's just about no kick at all.
    Last edited by paul; June 16th, 2008 at 02:12 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Lightweight 16" build. A decent brake/flash suppressor. Anything else and she may struggle...

But.....don't take my word for it....let her shoot some.

If it won't run.....I'll help fix it.
    More background info;
    She's a tough cookie. I'm just trying to make it as enjoyable as possible for her. I don't want it to be unwieldy for someone with small hands / limited reach. She'll pass for a full ASE tech if you put her under a Mitsubishi. We pull motors, build them, tune them... and do full car build projects as well.

I have access to common, and uncommon tools, mics, calipers, dial indicators, dremel, access to water & laser cutting equip, machine shops that will do whatever I tell them too... *AR specific tools. (My buddy has them all & a manual.)

I'm taking her out to shoot his in 2 days. Problem is - its a 20" with 3.5lbs up front and 3.5lbs in the back to make it as stable as possible for accuracy shooting. Its pig heavy.

Suggestions on brake/suppressor?

Paul,
    Treat me as a noob. Because I am. I would rather learn something I didn't know, than get picky about the few details I already do. M4 profile is what I've been looking at. Something flat top, no iron sights -w/ EO or laser dot style optic. Nothing super fancy. Just an easy point / shoot gun. Short front grip. Accuracy inside of 200yds- important 100yds< *priority.
    Durability. Something I can cycle wolf through if I have to. Primary purpose is shooting for fun. So the more rounds @ low cost I can put thru it without FTF or mechanical failure the better.

The approach to my house is 40 steps, 2 landings. 1 story home. Flat layout, neighbors limited to one direction. Making this an ideal candidate for home defense if need be. Or 'zombies' as I've been reading. (LOL!) Being on top of the hill with any half decent rifle & cover gives me a HUGE advantage in any would be bad situation.

Keep the advice coming. I'd like to get what I want the first time around, but I'm sure you guys know what I want better than I do at this point.

A barrel that will shoot commercial .223 & military .556 would probably be a good idea too. What is the right twist for me? I'd like to keep it light, but I read fluting / boring reduce strength. What is the right balance between weight & strength. Might splurge a little here if its viewed as a good idea.

Chromed?

Opinions welcome. And thanks to those who responded.

(Lawrence County)

If I were going to build another lightweight carbine or one that would be pleasant for anyone to shoot, I'd do it this way.

16" CAR style with lightweight barrel. The M4 barrel looks tacticool, but it still has more weight up front.

Flat top upper with a red dot optic and folding back up irons. Most people just do better with a red dot....and women love them.

Carbon fiber free float tube. Here you gain accuracy and shave nearly 6oz. 4 rails look cool up front, but they are heavy and only worth it if you want to use a vertical foregrip.

The YHM Phantom comp works well as a flash suppressor and dampens some recoil. You can do a bit better with a Miculec comp for about $20 more if you want to keep the dot steady under fast shooting.

And....a RRA two stage trigger. One of the better triggers for the money and makes shooting well easier. Everyone likes to hit what they are shooting at.

But....overall.....the best suggestion is still just to shoot a wide range of them.

Lycanquicksuggestionsthrope

(Dauphin County)

I second the lightweight barrel, the M4 Barrel is built heavier to hold up when fired on burst and also so that you can mount a grenade launcher, not something you're wife will likely need.

(Allegheny County)

She shot the heavy one today. And a few handguns; .40 XD, and a .45. She wasn't the biggest fan of the .45 but liked the AR much more than I hoped she would. Its a bushmaster AR. 20" 2 stage trigger - smaller rear & front sight. Its got a folding bipod on the front so she sat down at a picnic bench and shot it instead of trying to stand with it. Which would have been rough for her. The butt is tricky for her with a smaller peep sight. She can't get in close enough with her limited reach. It was a standard A2 style stock. Adjustable = necessary for her. It was the first time she's shot anything before.

As mentioned the .40 had a laser sight. Look for the red dot on the paper and pull the trigger. She liked that. .45 - she was more scared of it than happy. But despite the initial fear. She did fine. It didn't come back on her at all. It was just louder - thus scarier at first. After the first few rounds on the AR. She was able to shoot a nicer grouping. Making her happy and of course, decide she wanted one.

She has no problems with the recoil on the AR. I doubt she would even standing with a lighter rifle she could get a decent hold on.

The 2 stage trigger is really nice. Must have.

All of this is making me lean towards the RRA kit. And maybe a stag stripped lower to get started. If I can't drum up something local first, I'll probably just bit the bullet. Some of the "kits" are still cheaper than buying part for part. RRA's is like 620 + $45 chrome barrel?

Some items like the 2 stage trigger are expensive on their own.

Unless someone has input? Better places, ways to get what we're talking about.

I'd like to keep it under $900-1000 to start. $800< would be fabulous. But - unlikely with some of the options I was looking for.

(Lawrence County)

You can likely have all your potions with a Del Ton kit. Even the RRA two stage trigger. Several members here have them.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

You need to add the gun to the shopping cart to see all the options.

Lycanproblemsolvedthrope

(Venango County)

look at an Anvil Arms stripped lower...you can get it laser engraved for free

Glock Pistols.......So simple a Caveman could fix them!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    You can likely have all your potions with a Del Ton kit. Even the RRA two stage trigger. Several members here have them.

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm

You need to add the gun to the shopping cart to see all the options.

Lycanproblemsolvedthrope
    Yep, was searching around and was looking thru their kits last night a bit. They let you choose a good bit more than some others which is nice. I can pretty much build it into whatever I have pockets deep enough for.

Going to look at the Anvil Arms lower now Mark.