Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Lucky cop nabs suspect whose gun had jammed

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news.../19038509.html

Lucky cop nabs suspect whose gun had jammed
    Sat, May. 17, 2008

Tension filled the air as Police Officer Dave Klayman moved quietly through the North Philly mom-and-pop shop with his gun drawn.
    It was late Thursday evening, and Klayman had just followed a shooting suspect into the store, on the corner of Lee and Tioga streets.

When the veteran 25th District cop called out to the suspect, the young man ducked down behind one of the aisles and started to fumble with something, Klayman said.

Luck was on Klayman's side.

The suspect, Vincent Hollimon, 19, was clutching a TEC-9 semiautomatic handgun that had just jammed, police said.

The teen gave up when he was cornered by Klayman.

Hollimon was charged with attempted murder for allegedly shooting and critically wounding a 31-year-old man in the back on Ella Street near Westmoreland over a drug dispute at about 11 p.m. Thursday, police said.

The teen also will face charges that include aggravated assault, robbery and possessing a firearm with an altered serial number, police said.

"I didn't think about it until afterwards," Klayman said, "but if his gun had been functioning, there probably would have been a shoot-out."

Capt. Chris Werner, commander of the 25th District, which is headquartered on Whitaker Avenue near Luzerne Street, commended Klayman for thinking quickly on his feet.

Werner said Klayman spotted Hollimon a couple of blocks away from where the shooting occurred and decided to follow him when Hollimon abruptly darted into the corner store.

"That's just good, heads-up police work," Werner said, adding that Klayman also had collared a murder suspect a week ago.

Klayman said Hollimon yelled out "Yeah, right," when he ordered the teen to come over to him in the store.

"I couldn't see his hands, so I didn't know what he had on him," said Klayman, a former sergeant in the Marine Corps.

Hollimon was taken to Temple University Hospital, where he was positively identified by his victim, Werner said.

According to court records, Hollimon is due in court next month to face robbery, theft and assault charges dating back to an incident that occurred on Feb. 15. *

Default Re: Lucky cop nabs suspect whose gun had jammed

Semper Fi to Klayman, and good to hear about another BG off the streets for a few months...
    This Space For Rent

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Seventy4Blazer View Post
    Semper Fi to Klayman, and good to hear about another BG off the streets for a few months...

Sadly, a few months is likely all it will be....

(Chester County)

A few months indeed and yet we(gun carrying citizens) are the problem?? Please, lets call the kettle what is it. The one to blame are the ones letting these animals out after serving 25% of their sentences. It makes me literally sick to my stomach to sit here and watch politicians blame their screw ups on honest law abiding citizens. We need to make it clear that we will not stand for this any longer.
    Last edited by knighthawk06699; June 5th, 2008 at 06:03 PM.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Lycoming County)

This bad guy that you are talking about is my brother... I am not offended in any way about what you all have said. What is wrong is wrong. You guys only see color though... Vincent is a good kid. He was a home nurse for God's sake. He just got caught up with the wrong people. A few months is not what he got, the book was thrown at him. I believe that he was done more harshly than the others who have faced these exact same charge. Know the person who you are passing judgement on first.

Quote Originally Posted by keemia23 View Post
    This bad guy that you are talking about is my brother... I am not offended in any way about what you all have said. What is wrong is wrong. You guys only see color though... Vincent is a good kid. He was a home nurse for God's sake. He just got caught up with the wrong people. A few months is not what he got, the book was thrown at him. I believe that he was done more harshly than the others who have faced these exact same charge. Know the person who you are passing judgement on first.
    Looks like YOU are the only one on this thread to mention race.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Lancaster County)

Are you some how implying that he shouldn't have had to pay for his crimes because he was a home nurse and "got caught up with the wrong people"?

Oh, what a great defense. Sorry, but at 19, you're old enough to know right from wrong, and you should have been taught that shooting people and dealing drugs is wrong.

No one here mentioned race, you did, now why don't you just run along little troll.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lehigh County)

Good, it's time to start actually throwing the book at offenders regardless of whether or not it's been done to similar criminals in the past.

Anybody know what the actual results of this case ended up as? I can't find anything about it in a docket search

(Monroe County)

color? even the article didnt say anything about race or color, so how are we supposed to judge by that? do the crime, do the time (hopefully) also, if youre so hung up on color do something to try and change it instead of playing some sort of race card because jail populations and arrest statistics dont lie.

(Lancaster County)

Well, maybe this is just a coincidence, but what are the odds of two of these types of threads?

http://forum.pafoa.org/general-2/240...med-knife.html

Just sayin'.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast