Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Another "traveling to New Jersey" question... oh, and DE & MD too.

This summer we plan to take a bit of a road trip to points east - Gettysburg and the like - and our travels will take us in a big loop that goes briefly through New Jersey followed by a couple days in Delaware and then another day in Maryland. I've read a bunch of threads about NJ but just want to make sure I'm understanding what I read (by the way, "don't go" isn't an option as we promised the boy a tour of ol' BB62 and a little beach time).

Anyway, I understand that carrying is out of the question but do I really have to leave my firearm at home and go unprotected for the entire trip because of those few days in those ridiculous states? Is there any way to legally unload and lock up the firearm before crossing into NJ? Even if I had to dispose of the ammo and buy more when I got back over the PA line it would be fine. I have lock boxes, etc. so is there any legal way to have an unloaded firearm and no ammo for the few hours I'll be in NJ and the days in DE and MD? By the way, we're not coming back the same way we're going so even if I had a place to leave the gun in PA it wouldn't really work out too well. Also, I don't think it matters but I do have a UT permit as well.

Thanks in advance for any options.

Default Re: Another "traveling to New Jersey" question... oh, and DE & MD too.

Man, have I got bad news for you!

It would be legal to pass directly through and not stop at a destination in NJ or MD with your firearms locked up in your trunk.

However, what you are planning to do in NJ would be totally illegal and subject you to jail time and loss of your firearms.

Apparently, you haven't followed the several news stories in the last few years of people running afoul of NJ's gun laws. There is a reason NJ (and MD) are referred to as "The People's Republic of New Jersey" (PRNJ), for example.
    Last edited by Boots_DE; May 24th, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
    IANAL. I don't give legal advice. I'm only stating my OPINION.
    (Did I really need to say that on an Internet forum? LOL)

(Bucks County)

Bury your guns in an underground safe on the PA side.....haha. JUST kidding....

For real. You do have to be unprotected if you want to do the whole circuit. The only other option is if you have a trusted friend in eastern PA that you can leave your guns with.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Allegheny County)

Grrrrrrrr... I was afraid of that. Thank you for the quick replies. I wonder if my boy would believe me if I showed him the Flagship Niagara and Lake Erie and claimed they were the New Jersey and the Atlantic Ocean! j/k

Ok, a gun is out. Can I at least have a knife with me? Just a plain old SOG folder?
    Last edited by thebearpack; May 24th, 2012 at 07:43 PM.

(Bucks County)

I don't know the knife rules but I know you can have a whopping .75 ounce canister of pepper spray... so maybe you can spray an eyeball and make your getaway.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Bucks County)

Just a thought...there are beaches in DE.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Just a thought...there are beaches in DE.
    That's where we're going to be for most of the time but it's the stop in NJ and the full day with multiple stops in MD that are the problems apparently. By the way, would I be okay in DE if I somehow eliminated the stops getting there and back?

(Delaware County)

DE you would be fine. They are a OC state and i do it quite often since i live 1/2 mile from the state line. I also live 4 miles from NJ but refuse to go over there because of theyre laws on firearms.

(Delaware County)

I'll hold your gun for a while when you want to go into New Jerseystan. Cross the bridge and come back to the US, and then go to Delaware. Stay there. Don't go to Maryland.

I live near the border of Delaware......

George,
    So many guns, so little money.

(Northampton County)

I live in Easton and I have a LTCF so you could loan me your gun where it will sit in my lockbox with your name until you pass back this way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast