Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Inmates come to guard's aid in jail attack

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/04/flo...ef=igoogle_cnn

See the video at the link.

Inmates come to guard's aid in jail attack

(CNN) -- Hillsborough County, Florida, Deputy Kenneth Moon was alone at his station at a county jail facility near Tampa when an inmate attacked him with no warning.

Moon, 64, was no match for Douglas Burden, 24, in custody on various drug charges. With Moon still in his chair, Burden put him in a choke hold and pulled tight.

And then, surveillance video of the Monday attack showed, other inmates jumped into the fray.

But the other inmates joined the fight on the guard's side, pulling Burden away from Moon and punching him in the head. One inmate grabbed Moon's radio and called for back-up. The inmates held Burden down until other guards arrived as one of them extended a hand to help Moon up, according to the video.

Col. James Previtera, commander of Hillsborough County's Department of Detention Services, told reporters he believed that the inmates "saved the deputy's life."

"The response of the inmates in this case, I think, speaks volumes as to the fact that we treat these men and women ... in our facilities with a lot of respect," Previtera said.

Previtera said that Burden was moved to administrative confinement after the attack and that Moon was not seriously hurt.
    -Zach

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Inmates come to guard's aid in jail attack

That's awesome. Although I feel like a 64 year old man wouldn't be my first choice for a position as a jail guard.
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

(Montgomery County)

+100 Rep for prison inmates!

Did I just say that?

I'd imagine when the attacker gets out of solitary, he's not going back to that cell. I'm sure he's got some serious revenge to work on.

(Allegheny County)

I think that if any of those inmates are up for probation any time soon it will look VERY favorably for them.

(Beaver County)

^ Thats what THEY were thinking. Cool though. "There is good in all men"

.............or they were just looking for a rumble they wouldnt be in trouble for haha
    Last edited by avizpls; November 5th, 2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: always have something to add

(Philadelphia County)

That's crazy. Though the explanation provided in the video is straightforward when the Sheriff was asked why-- "Moon's a good guy, that's their response, they like Moon"

As far as the dude getting revenge is concerned, unless he's got a gang backing him up, he might think twice. Besides the 4 guys singled out, it looked like there were 6 to 8 inmates who jumped in to help the guy-- of the 4, all are in for violent crimes, one White, one Black, one Asian, and one Hispanic, so it obviously wasn't a White/Black thing. Seems like the guard who was attacked really was well-liked in the jail (and there can't be too damn many guards who are that well-liked there), so, if anything, it may be the guy who attacked him who has to watch his back when he gets out of solitary.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Bravo for them! Too bad they don't make TV shows out of how inmates show improvement. Everything is about how violent they act to officers

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ProTool View Post
    Bravo for them! Too bad they don't make TV shows out of how inmates show improvement. Everything is about how violent they act to officers
    I know and have known plenty of people who truly have been rehabilitated and am thankful for their time in jail.

yeah, dont tell the "tough on crime" crowd, but some people really can change.

(Allegheny County)

Just because a bad choice put them in there doesn't mean they can't make good choices.

(Montgomery County)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast