Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Default Looking for a new car ~ Camaro or Sky?

So my 1995 Z28 Camaro Convertible has reached the point where I think I'd rather take on a car payment again rather than paying to fix it.

It used to cost me under $300 a year to keep on the road but I've put 2 grand into it this year and I've just been informed it probably needs another 2-3 grand in work to get it right. I'm afraid if I do that something else will just go wrong in a few more months. It's 14 years old & starting to be like the '72 Chevelle I sold in 2000 when I bought the Camaro... always needing something every few months.
    Looks like it's time for a new car again.

I like the Saturn Sky & considered trading in the Camaro on one when they first came out but just couldn't part with my baby & talked myself out of trading it because I didn't want the car payment to get 6 more miles per gallon & go from an automaticaly retracting top to a manual convertible.

Now the 2010 Camaro is out & I am loving the look of em.

I wanted to stay with a convertible, and the 2010 Camaro doesn't come with that option. Add one check to the Sky column
    (I can however get an optional sunroof in the 2010 Camaro)

The Camaro is more powerful, less expensive & is rated as getting better gas mileage than the Sky Add three checks to the Camaro column.

I'm going to test drive both & while I'd rather get a new or 1-2 year old used car maybe I'll check out some used Corvettes (if I can find any at a decent price but I doubt it), '02 SS Convertible Camaros (again if I can find any... & they are already 8 years old!), '09 Dodge Challenger and the Pontiac Solstice.

Also need to see what the insurance cost would be on anything I'm considering before I make my final decision.

Anyone have any of these cars? Any input?
    Looks like I'll be driving the S-10 beater for a couple weeks while I car shop!

ETA update... made a decision:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/lounge-108/74...tml#post923048
    Last edited by 87th PVI; October 3rd, 2009 at 10:53 AM.
    Let us never forget the sacrifice of those who have fought for us all.

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for a new car ~ Camaro or Sky?

OH NO!! She's kicked the bucket eh? guess that fluid leak was the real deal huh? so sorry to hear that...

can't wait to see the new ride!!

(York County)

Mrs 87th is pi$$ed because if I buy new I'm getting a manual transmission which she refuses to learn to drive.
    She doesn't care what I get as far as make & model... she just hopes I find a good deal on an automatic.
    Sorry sweetie pie... If ya wanna drive it you'll have to finally learn to use a manual tranny!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87th PVI View Post
    Mrs 87th is pi$$ed because if I buy new I'm getting a manual transmission which she refuses to learn to drive.
    She doesn't care what I get as far as make & model... she just hopes I find a good deal on an automatic.
    Sorry sweetie pie... If ya wanna drive it you'll have to finally learn to use a manual tranny!
    LOL I told my girlfriend I would give her my 03 Vdub next year when I buy a new car. Problem is she doesn't know how operate a manual vehicle and refuses to learn. Guess I'll have 2 cars then

To the OP, the Sky is a sick vehicle with nearly perfect 50/50 weight distrobution. Rear wheel drive. 260hp with the turbo option.

Depending on what you want to do you could make this a mean ride.
    If you're into the whole drifting thing and doing tricks, then this is your car hands down, if you plan on doing the mods to make it a serious drift car.

Otherwise, go with the camaro. It's a solid vehicle, powerful enough, looks dead sexy, and it's perfect for cruising.

ETA: It was officially announced Saturn has been shut down and will no longer be producing vehicles as of yesterday, they're shutting down all 350 saturn dealers across the country, including roughly 13,000 employees at said locations.

I don't know about you but I probably wouldn't spend money on something that won't have any support for the future. Apparently saturn will stay open because they make "other products" whatever that means? I don't know if they will continue to make parts for vehicles in need of future repair, but car production is over.
    Last edited by jcabin; October 2nd, 2009 at 01:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

Saturn Sky? It reminds me of the other cars I see on the road. Mitsubishi Spider, V-dub Beetle, BMW little 2 seater, Mini Cooper. From my tractor looking down there was a 90% chance a chick was driving it.
    Why not a car that says testosterone like an SRT Challlenger, Charger, Camaro or Vette.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Exbiker View Post
    Saturn Sky? It reminds me of the other cars I see on the road. Mitsubishi Spider, V-dub Beetle, BMW little 2 seater, Mini Cooper. From my tractor looking down there was a 90% chance a chick was driving it.
    Why not a car that says testosterone like an SRT Challlenger, Charger, Camaro or Vette.
    Yeah, that's why the Solstice is on the consider list but not one of the top two, because that kinda makes me think chick car... but most if not all the Skys I've seen on the road have had guys driving them (when I can see the driver).
    Also with Saturn closing, the Camaro having more power & better gas mileage at a better price, & the fact that I've always had Camaros, Chevelles & Elcaminos (with an S-10, a Cavalier & a Chevette thrown in as winter drivers) which kinda makes me a Chevy guy...

I'm really leaning toward the Camaro...

I just don't like the thought of giving up my convertible!

Under better circumstances, my Z-28 would've held out a few more years & Chevy would start making a new model in an SS Convertible, & I'd get one slightly used a year or two after production.

I don't really want to buy a brand new car since they lose so much value just driving them off the lot, but those dumbarses stopped making Camaros for several years, so now I have brand new or 8 years old to choose from if I want another Camaro. My dad did tell me there is one allready on the used lot up the street so I'll be taking a look at that one, but that may be so close in price to a new one that spending a little more to get a color I like better or an option I want might be worth it... Also If that one is an SS with all the bells & whistles, that one might be more than buying a new one with the features I want.
    They have five base models, and only two come with leather so it looks like I'll be looking at one of the top three models... 6 cyl with leather, SS with leather, or compromise & get the SS but give up leather.

I like the better mileage & leather interior at a lower price with the 6 cyl but it's 304 hp & I'm used to no less than 325+
    The 8's can kick out 426 horses & I like giddy up! (but is it worth 4-7k added to the base price?)
    I'm betting I won't even notice the loss of horses in the 6 due to better performance in other areas since it's newer than what I've been driving.
    We'll see what happens after I test drive a few.

Sky..... no brainer...

eta:

The Sky may be less powerful, but it's also a lot lighter - about 800 lbs. Power to Weight is much more important than raw horsepower.

Sky Redline: 260HP / ~3000lb = 11.54lb/HP
    Camaro: 304HP / ~3800lb = 12.5lb/HP

Sky has it by a whole pound. Also, the sky is what you want - a convertible. The Sky gets about the same mileage - 19/28 vs. 17/29 for the camaro. That difference is not statistically significant - your driving style will dominate FAR more than this difference in mileage rating.
    Last edited by ehidle; October 2nd, 2009 at 07:03 AM.

(Monroe County)

I got to drive both an SRT Challenger and a nicely equipped 6 banger Challenger. Both were awesome. Only thing missing was the pistol grip shifter.

CHALLENGER SE Customer Preferred Package 2DG
    3.5-Liter High-Output 24-Valve V6 MPI Engine
    19 city/27 hwy

CHALLENGER R/T
    5.7 Liter Hemi 376hp
    16 city/25 hwy

(Montgomery County)

(York County)

Uhhh, saturn may be difficult to repair and maintain as the years pass.......

How about a car from a company that didnt need a bailout.......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast