Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Bought some interesting .223 today

While I was at Sportman's Supply buying my mom a revolver I noticed they had bags of .223. Apparently they got a crapload of them from an estate sale. They're marked "L C 50" so I know they're Lake City at least and I was told they weren't reloads. Almost all of them are on stripper clips. Half of them are regular FMJ but the other half are AP rounds(need a good backstop!). It was $9/50 so I picked up 600+ and got one of them for free since I was melting my credit card anyways. I also bought a golden rod for my safe. We'll see how the Bushy likes them...

Default Re: Bought some interesting .223 today

Let us know how it shoots. $9.50 per 50 sounds like a good deal.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Let us know how it shoots. $9.50 per 50 sounds like a good deal.
    Will do. Actually it was only $9 per 50. I looked them over when I put them in my safe and they had numbers ranging from 50, 28, 75, etc... What do these stand for? I've bought a total of 1450 rounds this past week rounds in the past week. 300 9mm and the rest were .223. It feels good to finally have a decent amount of ammo around...although I'm sure it's measly compared to most people on here.

(Erie County)

Lake City is pretty nice ammo. Especially at that price. I'd google that if they have different stamps. I find that to be a little odd, lots normally don't get mixed together. Any tracers in the lot?

Back when AIM had Guat Grade 2 .223 I picked up two 1440 round crates, over the summer. I still don't have my AR finished yet All I have left is the barrel, but I got plenty of ammo and mags. On two rounds there was a "water spot;" that water spot saved me something like $100.

Look in a CTD magazine if you have one. I coulda sworn I remember seeing LC .223 on stripper clips in it. I tossed the last one I got because they sent me the 2006-2007 master catalog, no pictures in it though. It would take me forever to find it in there.
    Last edited by KeithPA; December 21st, 2006 at 07:58 PM.

Normally the numbers that are stamped on the bottom of the casing represents the year it was manufactured. I don't know in your case because the numbers are too low to be the last two digits of the year it was produced. If it shoots out of your rifle, buy more.

I haven't bought any .223 ammo in quite some time. I am going to be reloading for it this winter. I figured with price increases that it would be good to load up a bunch of ammo.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by mjd932 View Post
    While I was at Sportman's Supply buying my mom a revolver I noticed they had bags of .223. Apparently they got a crapload of them from an estate sale. They're marked "L C 50" so I know they're Lake City at least and I was told they weren't reloads. Almost all of them are on stripper clips. Half of them are regular FMJ but the other half are AP rounds(need a good backstop!). It was $9/50 so I picked up 600+ and got one of them for free since I was melting my credit card anyways. I also bought a golden rod for my safe. We'll see how the Bushy likes them...
    "LC50"
    That's a little confusing to me since .223/5.56mm ammunition didn't even exist in 1950.
    Pictures would be good.
    Thanks.