Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Erie County)

Default 3 Deputies On Paid Leave Following Student's Shooting Death

http://www.wral.com/news/10449139/detail.html

WILMINGTON, N.C. -- Three New Hanover County sheriff's deputies are on paid leave following the shooting death of a Cape Fear Community College student from Durham who was killed while law enforcement officers served an arrest warrant at the home he shared.

Peyton Strickland, 18, was killed Friday night after answering a knock at the door of his off-campus residence, his roommate, Mike Rhoton, told the Star-News of Wilmington.

A spokesman for the sheriff's office said up to eight officers were helping University of North Carolina at Wilmington police serve the warrant. The three placed on paid leave all fired shots, the sheriff's office said late Sunday.

Strickland was unarmed, Rhoton said, when he was shot. Deputies also shot Strickland's German shepherd dog to death, he said.

"I don't understand why shots were fired," Rhoton said Saturday. "I've just been trying to figure out why they shot him."

New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David is scheduled to meet with investigators on Monday to discuss the case and review evidence, which includes the door of the residence, to see if the shooting was justified.

"I am making this my top priority," David said. "No one's above the law. If there's any criminal conduct that can be established, I'm not going to hesitate to treat them as any other defendant."

David would not say Sunday whether Strickland was armed at the time police went to his residence.

The warrants, issued for Strickland and UNC-W student Ryan David Mills, charged the two with armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and breaking and entering a vehicle, alleging that they assaulted UNC-W student Justin Raines, of Apex, and took two PlayStation 3s from him on Nov. 17.

Authorities said one suspect allegedly beat Raines with a 6-inch blunt object while another suspect allegedly stole the game consoles. Mills, of Durham, who lives at another Wilmington address, was arrested and later released on bond.

Rhoton said that on the night of the shooting, he and Strickland were home playing video games when Strickland went to answer a knock at the door. Strickland might have had a game controller in his hand when he went to the door, he said.

Within moments, Rhoton said, he heard a barrage of gunfire.

As Strickland approached the door, law enforcement officials knocked it down and "there was a bunch of yelling," Rhoton said.

"Four or five shots went off, and they killed him," he said. "They pinned me down to the ground and told me not to move anything."

Rhoton, who attended high school with Strickland in Durham, said officers mentioned a search warrant but did not provide a copy.

"They never said why they were here, even when I left last night," he said on Saturday.

Meanwhile, family members from across the country gathered at Strickland's home in Durham. Family members described him as "a great kid just getting started in life" who was shot without cause.

"Losing someone this wonderful -- it really doesn't matter what happened or how it happened," said family friend Don Beskind, speaking on behalf of the Strickland family.

In a statement on behalf of Strickland's parents, Don and Kathy Strickland, Beskind described Strickland, the youngest of three children, as a "kind and gentle boy" who was "generous, thoughtful and compassionate."

Court records show that Strickland had been charged in September with felony assault.

Update:

http://www.wral.com/news/10458625/detail.html

WILMINGTON, N.C. -- A Durham teen who was killed late Friday by sheriff's deputies in Wilmington died from a gunshot wound to the head, according to the Medical Examiner's Office in Jacksonville.

Peyton Strickland, 18, and his German shepherd were killed after he answered a knock at the door of his off-campus residence at 533 Long Leaf Acres Drive in Wilmington.

Six to eight deputies had accompanied University of North Carolina at Wilmington police to serve arrest and search warrants at the house, authorities said.

Three deputies are on paid leave pending the results of an internal investigation and a review of the case by the State Bureau of Investigation.

New Hanover County District Attorney Ben David on Monday declined to discuss the details of the incident and asked the public not to rush to judgment

"I recognize that any time we're dealing with the loss of a life, we're talking about someone's baby," David said. "No one is above the law, and no one is beneath its protection. I commit to Peyton Strickland's family and to the men and women of law enforcement who I advise that I will go wherever the truth leads."

David said he has spoken with Strickland's father and that he planned to meet with the family in Durham on Tuesday.

Strickland, who was studying welding at Cape Fear Community College, was named in warrants charging him with armed robbery, assault with a deadly weapon and breaking and entering a vehicle. The charges stem from a Nov. 17 incident in which UNC-W student Justin Raines, of Apex, was assaulted and robbed of two PlayStation 3 consoles, authorities said.

One suspect allegedly beat Raines with a 6-inch blunt object while another allegedly stole the game consoles, authorities said.

Ryan David Mills, of Durham, who lives at another Wilmington address, also was charged in the case. He was released on $30,000 bond. Mills declined to comment on the case when WRAL contacted him Monday evening.

David said investigators continue to collect information and gather evidence in the case, so he did not want to disrupt that process by discussing it publicly. He said he would update the media on the case on Dec. 11.

"I call for calm in the community while we are working hard on this," he said.

Seven bullet fragments were recovered from the house after the shooting, according to a search warrant. Drug paraphernalia also was seized from the house, the warrant said.

The state Attorney General's Office has been consulted, and David was expected to review evidence, including the door of Strickland's residence, with investigators to see if the shooting was justified.

Strickland's roommate said Strickland was unarmed when he was shot, although he might have had a video game controller in his hand when he went to the door. David would not say whether deputies believed the teen was armed at the time they went to his residence.

According to the search warrant, no guns were taken from the residence.

New Hanover County Sheriff Sid Causey called the need for deputies to back up UNC-W officers a "safety issue."

Authorities have not specified what the safety issue was, but a search warrant stated that Strickland had a previous felony assault on his record from August in which he allegedly broke another man's jaw.

It also indicated that Mills, who lived at a different address, was known to carry a firearm and was pictured on the Internet with assault rifles, shotguns and pistols.

Back in Durham, a flood of friends and family has surrounded the Strickland family in recent days. The teen's funeral is scheduled for Wednesday.

"We may well want to speak more about the circumstances of his tragic death, but we plan to devote the next few days to celebrating his life," family friend Don Beskind said Sunday.
    Comments? Thoughts?

(Clarion County)

Default Re: 3 Deputies On Paid Leave Following Student's Shooting Death

This is just another tragic example of a terribly flawed system. One where it is common place to force violent confrontation in order to arrest alleged criminals.
    Would it have been so hard for them to knock or wait for the guy to come outside? Must be more thrilling for those involved to go kicking in doors.
    An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine!I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force,nor is it wise for such a person to expect it!
    Isaiah Ambrey
    If you think you have the right not to be offended. I suggest you promptly purchase a toe attachment and a twelve gauge. One time use is all that is necessary.

(Philadelphia County)

Goddamn.. why do these jack booted thugs, adrenaline junkies a-holes had to shoot the dog??

DEATH PENALTY, FOR ALL THREE. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATLEY!!!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Philadelphia County)

And as far as the kid getting offed...

I guess somebody got his wish...
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Northumberland County)

It is a disturbing trend lately we've been seeing...

Drug paraphernalia also was seized from the house, the warrant said

DUH... It is a house of college kids... Even if it didn't belong to those living there, it could've been left after a party...

Lots of college kids do drugs... BIG F'n suprise...

According to the search warrant, no guns were taken from the residence.

So how in hell do they justify shooting this kid??? Because he had a previous assault record??? Because the dog came to his aid??? If the Dog were the threat then just shoot the dog.... It in no way excuses the killing here.

Our LEO's need to be held accountable for these killings. They need to stop charging into peoples homes and murdering these suspects. Because they are just that suspects. Last time I checked none of these citizens were CONVICTED of anything.

These police officers are going in with a guilty until proven innocent mentality. And that must be changed.

(Erie County)

http://www.wral.com/news/10467921/detail.html

In a search warrant justifying the need for the high-risk tactics, officers said Mills had posed in photos posted on the Internet with guns and might be dangerous.
    I guess everyone who owns a gun better watch out. You are considered armed and dangerous while in your house playing PS3.

http://www.wral.com/news/10467921/detail.html

Instead, deputies shot Strickland, who witnesses said was unarmed, multiple times. He died from a gunshot wound to the head.

Three officers, who are part of a 23-member emergency response team, were placed on paid leave while the case is under investigation. The team is similar to what is commonly referred to as a S.W.A.T. team.
    The University Police call in a SWAT team from the local PD to apprehend a PS3 theif. I know they were to charge him with assault but still. That sounds like the tactics you use for wanted murders or armed bank robbers.
    Last edited by KeithPA; December 5th, 2006 at 07:40 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by josh View Post
    This is just another tragic example of a terribly flawed system. One where it is common place to force violent confrontation in order to arrest alleged criminals.
    Would it have been so hard for them to knock or wait for the guy to come outside? Must be more thrilling for those involved to go kicking in doors.
    Have you ever served a warrant ?
    I did for 6 years.
    Here is your briefing : The warrant is for a convicted felon w/history of violent assault. He has posted pictures of himself w/semi auto rifle on the internet. He will be considered armed & dangerous. Proceed w/caution.

Now who wants to volunteer to knock on the door and politely ask this upstanding citizen to come outside and talk to the police ?
    How long would you like for us to wait at the threshold while he loads up his weapons ? Look up the term fatal funnel.

Nobody in custody is guilty,just ask them. The individual in question is always a good boy getting his life together,just forget them felonies last summer,and the jv stuff was just kids bein kids right ? Them drugs wasn't even mine.Why ain't you out chasin real criminals.

I like this board;good commo,knowledge,camraderie.
    This anti cop vibe though...wearing thin.

When your on a job the only rule is not going home in a body bag. I carried a picture of my children in the pocket behind the trauma plate on my body armour and tapped it before every hit,told them I was coming home and that was all that mattered !
    Any of you antis ever been to a funeral?Enjoy it much ?
    How about standing in uniform and crying when they play taps over someone you served with ? Make you feel all warm and fuzzy?
    I have one last thing to say to all of those after action critics that like to use terms like gestapo & jack booted thugs,etc.
    We work in areas at night that you don't have the guts to drive anywhere near in the daytime. You criticize the way things are done from a nice warm safe house and hide behind the safety of your computer. Y'all sure got some guts !

How about you go out in the dark time and play w/the monsters.

If you ain't been there and done that then don't second guess them that have! We do enough of that ourselves.
    Last edited by khanfam6; January 5th, 2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: potty mouth
    Handguns are like smoke detectors...one for every floor in your house.

(Tioga County)

I hear you. Heck, traffic stops can get you killed.

Quote Originally Posted by khanfam6 View Post
    Have you ever served a warrant ?
    I did for 6 years.
    Here is your briefing : The warrant is for a convicted felon w/history of violent assault. He has posted pictures of himself w/semi auto rifle on the internet. He will be considered armed & dangerous. Proceed w/caution.

Now who wants to volunteer to knock on the door and politely ask this upstanding citizen to come outside and talk to the police ?
    How long would you like for us to wait at the threshold while he loads up his weapons ? Look up the term fatal funnel.

Nobody in custody is guilty,just ask them. The individual in question is always a good boy getting his life together,just forget them felonies last summer,and the jv stuff was just kids bein kids right ? Them drugs wasn't even mine.Why ain't you out chasin real criminals.

I like this board;good commo,knowledge,camraderie.
    This anti cop vibe though...wearing thin.

When your on a job the only rule is not going home in a body bag. I carried a picture of my children in the pocket behind the trauma plate on my body armour and tapped it before every hit,told them I was coming home and that was all that mattered !
    Any of you antis ever been to a funeral?Enjoy it much ?
    How about standing in uniform and crying when they play taps over someone you served with ? Make you feel all warm and fuzzy?
    I have one last thing to say to all of those after action critics that like to use terms like gestapo & jack booted thugs,etc.
    We work in areas at night that you don't have the guts to drive anywhere near in the daytime. You criticize the way things are done from a nice warm safe house and hide behind the safety of your computer. Y'all sure got some guts !

How about you go out in the dark time and play w/the monsters.

If you ain't been there and done that then don't second guess them that have! We do enough of that ourselves.

(Allegheny County)

When your on a job the only rule is not going home in a body bag.
    no, that is not the only rule. that might be the only rule in a police state, but not in the USA.

i am not anti-cop. and i do understand and appreciate the dangers of police work. however, allowing "officer safety" to trump constitutional rights is not acceptable.

(note, i am not commenting on this particular case at all...just the idea that the only rule is not going home in a body bag.)

(ETA: before we even go down an all too common road...as if we were not already on one...it is not the constitutional rights of the bad guys i am worried about. it is the constitutional rights of the innocent people who are mistakenly identified as bad guys by the police. that is not a bash on police...but, everyone makes mistakes.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; January 5th, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

This was a college campus. Not a "bad area" as you paint it.

Note that the heavily armed jack-booted-thugs were to apprehend the subject so that the campus-rent-a-cops could arrest him.

Your argument is emotional, therefore illogical and moot.
    ==============
    ~Samuel Adams

~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast