Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Two gun safe questions

I've been somewhat following the safe thread started by LifeInPa and it got me thinking that I need to ask a question or two about my own safe.

Question #1:
    I won a 28 gun Heritage brand safe at a gun bash back in 2011. It seems very sturdy and is rated at for 40 minutes at 1,200 degrees. It weighs about 500-550 lbs, give or take. I have it bolted thru my floor and in a corner where it can't be gotten-at very easily.

Any opinions, on the quality of this safe?

Question #2:
    After attending a hunter safety course with my son this past weekend I recall them saying you should never store your ammo along with your guns in your safe.

I never really considered that, so, is the purpose of this to simply prevent you from getting shot with your own ammo if someone breaks into it or is there some other reason that I'm missing?

Thanks for any & all responses.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Two gun safe questions

At that weight and that # of guns it's a very light weight gauge steel. Probably 14 or at most 12 gauge steel. It'll help keep the neighbor kids out but someone determined with a prybar or possibly a light sledge and some time could likely get it open. You don't mention the model # so I can only really go by approximations by weight and # of guns. That gauge steel could also be cut opened (noisily) with a battery operated rotary cutter, sawzall or axe. I'd prefer nothing less than 4 gauge steel but it's all a balance of cost and logistics of course. Something you can afford is better than not having anything. Google around and you'll find a number of pics of lighter gauge safes compromised easily with common tools.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ettorment1916 View Post
    Question #2:
    After attending a hunter safety course with my son this past weekend I recall them saying you should never store your ammo along with your guns in your safe.

I never really considered that, so, is the purpose of this to simply prevent you from getting shot with your own ammo if someone breaks into it or is there some other reason that I'm missing?

Thanks for any & all responses.
    If you have ammo stored elsewhere in the house, it probably wouldn't take much searching to locate it.

Nevertheless, I think it's more so that if someone does happen to gain unauthorized access to the safe (e.g. you left it unlocked), that at least for the moment, ammo isn't readily available and in the case of children, it's always been a good practice to keep ammo and firearms stored separately.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirlen View Post
    Probably 14 or at most 12 gauge steel.

You don't mention the model # so I can only really go by approximations by weight and # of guns.
    My safe is a Heritage Fortress Security, model # FSX3060. I can't really find any information online about it and when I won it I don't remember getting any booklet or manual. I did get a warranty card and another card showing the model number and combination to the lock.

From looking at the Heritage site and studying their current lineup of safes, I agree with you that my safe is probably 12 gauge steel. Certainly not top of the line, but as we agree it's better than nothing. Considering that I won it on a $5.00 raffle ticket, it's a sweet prize.

If you happen to know about the FSX3060 or find out anything about it, please let me know. Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    it's always been a good practice to keep ammo and firearms stored separately.
    You raise some valid points and I thank you for them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ettorment1916 View Post

Question #2:

Interesting. I never thought of that. I would guess (hate the word assume) that it would/could be the reason.

Mine are all stored in the safe to keep the Grandbrats away.

I have other security to prevent outsiders from busting into it.

(Cumberland County)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryancanon View Post
    Yup, that's my safe. Thanks for finding that link, because it's hard to find anything about my safe.

Your link says the steel is 3/16" steel and that would make this safe in the 6 to 7 gauge steel range. Would that be correct?

Below are the specs from that links:

ITEM: FSX3060
    Multi-Layer Fire Protection,
    40 minute fire rating.
    Heavy gauge steel body.
    3/16'' plate solid steel door.
    1'' active locking bolts.
    Dead bar. Triple relocker.
    Concealed internal hinge.
    UL Listed Group II combination lock.
    Pre-drilled anchoring holes.
    Pre-drilled accessory hole on side.
    Chrome handle.
    Chrome dial/ring lock. E
    xpandable 18 gun to 27 gun interior.
    2-Year Limited Lifetime Warranty from defects in workmanship, materials & the lock.

(Cumberland County)

Correct. It's 7 gauge. I would say you have a pretty secure safe, although no safe will stop the criminal with knowledge and correct tools

(Lycoming County)

Actually, to me it sounds as if the safe is nice.

Granted it was most likely made in Mexico or anywhere outside the USA but hey, that's life in these here states anymore.

I store extra ammo in my safe because, like the firearms in it, I want them away from any would-be thieves and burglars.

Plus, if I need to get (and have the time) to get one of the firearms for self defense from the safe, I have ammo at the ready.

Plus, due to the fire protection I feel this is safer for any fire fighters in the event of that type of emergency.

And the walls of the safe sound thicker than the Pepsi can thickness of some of those low end Stack-On varieties (nice for anti-kid but not the best for real security).

Don't have too bad of an anxiety attack - I feel you are doing okay with it!

God bless!!

PPP
    I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. - Jesus Christ

(Delaware County)

Any secure safe can be opened.
    In the movies, this is how it works.
    The bad guy holds a gun to the head of the child of the bank manager.
    The bank manager opens the bank safe in as fast as he can.
    You or I would open our safes the same way.
    Less than that, it's better to be strong so as to take more time to open.
    The longer it takes to open, the more the risk of getting caught.
    Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast