Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Columbia County)

Default Traveling through New England with a Handgun

This weekend I will likely be riding my motorcycle up to Maine to go camping. To get there, I will pass through New York, then Connecticut, then Rhode Island, then Massachusetts, and then into the free states of New Hampshire and Maine, where my license is recognized. I will be passing through four states in a row who do not recognize my license. I will have my gun unloaded with ammo in a separate locked container from the gun. I won't be doing any stopping except to get gas. Is this legal? I know and have transported this way through Maryland, but that was only from one state that recognized my license and then straight into PA. Does it change things if I pass through multiple states that don't recognize my license?

Thanks. Any law cites or the such will be greatly appreciated.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Traveling through New England with a Handgun

Go to Troy, NY, then into VT, avoiding MA, CT and RI entirely. That way you only have to travel though one weenie state. While in NY, don't stop for any reason.

Wait... didn't ME just get a shitload of snow???

(Bucks County)

Doesn't matter if it's one state between or 25...it's legal.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RandomTask View Post
    Go to Troy, NY, then into VT, avoiding MA, CT and RI entirely. That way you only have to travel though one weenie state. While in NY, don't stop for any reason.

Wait... didn't ME just get a shitload of snow???
    I'm trying to cross off all of the states in New England that I've been to on my motorcycle. I'm hoping to get all 50 states within the next 5-10 years. I'll be coming back roughly that route.

I checked road conditions and they're good. As long as the weather holds out, I'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Doesn't matter if it's one state between or 25...it's legal.
    Thanks for the cite! I couldn't remember the name or number of this law and my Google-fu has been weak lately. I couldn't remember if there were any exceptions for traveling through multiple freedom-impaired states consecutively.

(Northampton County)

It's legal, but NY, especially, might not like it if they found out.

I love Maine. It sucks that I could carry in every state on the way up except NY, but that would require me to get several non-resident permits. Mass alone is $100 for 1 year as non-resident.

I actually use locked fire boxes for my ammo and guns (separate). Not the kind with a hasp, the kind you would have to break into to break into. I don't want there to be any dispute over "consent for search." You want in, you break in.

It's probably a little paranoid, but I like a last line of defense before I have to rely on the law behind enemy lines. Chances are nobody is going to try to search your car anyway.

(Allegheny County)

[QUOTE=max384;1880915]I'm trying to cross off all of the states in New England that I've been to on my motorcycle. I'm hoping to get all 50 states within the next 5-10 years. I'll be coming back roughly that route.

I checked road conditions and they're good. As long as the weather holds out, I'll be good to go.QUOTE]

I would just skip Rhode Island and check it off anyway. Unless it's summer and you live in Ct. there is no reason to go to RI.

(Columbia County)

Thanks for all the help...

However, it looks like the trip will have to be postponed. I just wrecked my bike that is set up for touring about an hour ago. I'm fine and the bike's not too bad, but it's not in a condition to take a road trip. Damn people not turning their heads to change lanes!

(Northampton County)

Well that sucks. Glad you are OK and it's not too bad.