Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default my dog gave me a scare tonight :(

my 3 yr old yellow lab gave me and my family quite a scare tonight. we let her out to go play in the yard with her sister and all of a sudden she starts screaming in pain. we go outside to see what was going on and she is on the ground and trying to get up and she is dragging her back end and could not move. my bf goes and picks her up to bring her in the house and she is still dragging her back end but its slowly coming back but she is still limping a bit. we get her in the car to go to the emergency vets at vsec in langhorne to get her checked out and after she got an xray luckily she is ok she didnt break or fracture anything but her ankle is swollen like she sprained it and has to take it easy for a week. she also is gonna be on an anti-imflammatory once a day for a week and doggy tylenol for pain as needed and to keep an eye on her and if she isnt getting any better we have to bring her back same with the medicine if she doesnt want to eat or starts vomiting. i was so worried about her. the vets there at vsec were great and very nice to my girl. i would recommend them for all my pet needs
    ZRT (Head of Human Reproduction Dept.) sector 7

Default Re: my dog gave me a scare tonight :(

Wow! Scary!

Well if nothing is broken that's a good thing. No surgery is always good.

Just going to have to keep her off her paws for a bit which I know will be a feat.

Keep her quiet and give her the anti inflammatory meds. Make sure she drinks water that will move the meds around much quicker rather than just sitting in her stomach.

Keep us posted on her condition and progress.

(Allegheny County)

God, I hope your Labrador is OK. My yellow is also 3yrs old. I feel for you and truly want everything to workout. Good call on going straight to the vet.

I can't even imagine that scare. My Yellow Labrador is all I have. It scares me to even think of seeing her temporarily stricken like that. Please follow the vet's recommendation and even get a second opinion.

The pup and I wish you and yours the best. Paw to paw...
    F*S=k

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Wow! Scary!

Well if nothing is broken that's a good thing. No surgery is always good.

Just going to have to keep her off her paws for a bit which I know will be a feat.

Keep her quiet and give her the anti inflammatory meds. Make sure she drinks water that will move the meds around much quicker rather than just sitting in her stomach.

Keep us posted on her condition and progress.
    yeah we will start giving her the meds in the morning we just got home with her at 1240am but she is laying down with her sister. she was a real trooper at the vet to i was so proud of her. i did have plans to go out tomorrow but she is more important to keep an eye on and no one would be home to watch her if i did.

When a boo-boo happens with a kid, its some peroxide and a band aid.

When something occurs with our dogs, its all out panic. I've had some scares with Rocky and to be honest they scared me more than my son getting stitches in his head.

Don't forget to keep us posted, Spyro.

Rocky says....cookies always make him feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by spyro825 View Post
    yeah we will start giving her the meds in the morning we just got home with her at 1240am but she is laying down with her sister. she was a real trooper at the vet to i was so proud of her. i did have plans to go out tomorrow but she is more important to keep an eye on and no one would be home to watch her if i did.
    Stay home with her. You don't know what her reaction will be with medication. She need to be closely monitored.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScaredOnce View Post
    God, I hope your Labrador is OK. My yellow is also 3yrs old. I feel for you and truly want everything to workout. Good call on going straight to the vet.

I can't even imagine that scare. My Yellow Labrador is all I have. It scares me to even think of seeing her temporarily stricken like that. Please follow the vet's recommendation and even get a second opinion.

The pup and I wish you and yours the best. Paw to paw...
    thanks yeah i have two labs one yellow and one black and a shepard with the bf and his parents we were gonna wait till the morning to take her because when i was looking at her paw before we left it felt swollen but we were gonna take any chances on it. after a couple days were are gonna follow up with our vet as we are looking for a new one and i suggested to my bf parents to just take them all there and we already know there basically 24 hrs hospital and there very nice and personable to but its there decision. i left a note for the parents on what to do with the dog as they werent there at the vet with me so they know whats going on

(Philadelphia County)

When a boo-boo happens with a kid, its some peroxide and a band aid.

When something occurs with our dogs, its all out panic. I've had some scares with Rocky and to be honest they scared me more than my son getting stitches in his head.

Don't forget to keep us posted, Spyro.

Rocky says....cookies always make him feel better.
    oh she definitely got cookies before the vet during the vet and after and no im not going anywhere tomorrow she is attached to my hip tomorrow as she was at the vet even though my bf brother was there but she stuck with me
    Last edited by spyro825; June 12th, 2009 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spyro825 View Post
    oh she definitely got cookies before the vet during the vet and after and no im not going anywhere tomorrow she is attached to my hop tomorrow as she was at the vet even though my bf brother was there but she stuck with me
    Dogs are like little kids, they always call for mommy when they're sick.

(Philadelphia County)

Dogs are like little kids, they always call for mommy when they're sick.
    but the funny thing is im not the mommy my bf parents are but ive been tryin to train her alil further and give her alot of the attention and she is a very hyper dog and the bf just shoos her away because of her hyperness and i always pay attention to her no matter what. in the car to and from the vet she was cuddled in my side and the paw she hurt was her back left foot a pic of her soon to come

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast