Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SBR Question

(Philadelphia County)

Default SBR Question

I was looking at some SBR's on Olympic Arms' website and saw the description of the weapon. The description said LE only, Class III SBR.
    My question is:
    Can that weapon be purchase with a NFA/Class III stamp even though I am not LE?
    And with a Class III can you purchase or have any LE only weapons?

Default Re: SBR Question

the reason it said that is because they want you to know that you can only buy an SBR with a Class 3. Also, you can only put an upper in that config on either a SBR or a pistol set up and still be legal.

"LE only" means a lot of different things... it varies by the product. A lot of times, a manufacture might voluntarily restrict items that they feel could get them bad press to LE. Other times, there might be laws prohibiting private ownership. A SBR is fine for you to buy in PA with the appropriate paperwork. A machine gun made after 1986, for example, is LE only and NOT okay for you to buy anywhere. Depending on company policy, you can almost always find someone who will sell you stuff stamped LE ONLY even if you're not LE as long as it's legal for you to own.