Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Yet another reason to always carry - Family held at gunpoint

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWS/80815008

Family reports being held at gunpoint while out walking

August 15, 2008

A family of three called police Wednesday and reported three males had held them at gunpoint Tuesday night on Rob Roy Drive in Pocono Farms East, Coolbaugh Township, according to information police released today.

The family said they had been walking on Rob Roy Drive, with their vehicle parked on Rob Roy between Leslie Way and Titania Road, at 9 p.m. Tuesday when the males drove past them. They said the males, one of whom had a gun, then approached them from behind, demanded money and cell phones and patted them down.

The family said they told the males they had no money or cell phones. The couple said their daughter began to scream after the males patted them down, at which point the males fled in their vehicle.

Police have not said if the family gave detailed physical descriptions of the males.

HOME
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Yet another reason to always carry - Family held at gunpoint

Would carrying have done anything? Being more aware of surroundings, etc, might have led to a different outcome, but the guys came up on them from behind, were armed (so we can most likely assume they got the drop on the family), and there were children present. No way I'm going to try and play hero in that situation facing more than one bad guy in a vehicle who already have gun(s) pointed at me and my children.

In fact, given that they were patted down, having a gun might have been the WORST situation for this particular family.

I'm not saying he shouldn't carry. Just saying it may have done more harm than help in this instance.
    I carry a gun not to take lives, but to keep mine from being taken.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilA View Post
    Would carrying have done anything? Being more aware of surroundings, etc, might have led to a different outcome, but the guys came up on them from behind, were armed (so we can most likely assume they got the drop on the family), and there were children present. No way I'm going to try and play hero in that situation facing more than one bad guy in a vehicle who already have gun(s) pointed at me and my children.

In fact, given that they were patted down, having a gun might have been the WORST situation for this particular family.

I'm not saying he shouldn't carry. Just saying it may have done more harm than help in this instance.
    And this is why the firearm isn't the only solution to every conflict/interaction with the "bad guy(s)." We don't know all the details, the proximity, etc, but there's more than one way to solve an attempted robbery than by drawing and shooting.

Simply being aware of your surroundings isn't always the solution either. A block from where I moved my sister into college, a guy stepped outside of his front door to smoke a cigarette and was jumped by 4 guys wearing bandannas over their faces.

Unfortunately, sh*t happens and you have to be as prepared as you can to deal with it the best you can.

Maybe open carrying would have prevented this from happening in the first place. Maybe a couple shots of pepper spray would have worked. Fortunately, no one was hurt. Unfortunately, this family had no other option than to comply.

(Westmoreland County)

+1. You can be the most prepared individual out there, but you just can't predict every situation.

(Bucks County)

What works for me is, rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
    I do believe, generally speaking, that a person with a LTCF is probably in Code Orange more than the average citizen which theoretically should aid in not becoming a victim.
    For myself I always carry the P-32 (lightness) when walking with the wife or solo.
    OC should also be deterrent as suggested by others.

(Lawrence County)

yeah most burglers would probably say something like this... "OH THAT GUY LOOKS LIKE HE'S GOT SOME CASH ON HIM!...." then they'd look at my belt and see my sigma resting at my side and THEN say... " oh wait... he's got a gun, nevermind."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bmarshall91 View Post
    yeah most burglers would probably say something like this... "OH THAT GUY LOOKS LIKE HE'S GOT SOME CASH ON HIM!...." then they'd look at my belt and see my sigma resting at my side and THEN say... " oh wait... he's got a gun, nevermind."
    Yeah If ya saw the video yesterday of the creep that strangled the 85 year old lady....that's the kind of victim they are looking/hoping for.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by PocketProtector View Post
    Yeah If ya saw the video yesterday of the creep that strangled the 85 year old lady....that's the kind of victim they are looking/hoping for.
    no i didn't where's that at? so i can understand what you're trying to say.

(Bucks County)

Last edited by PocketProtector; August 20th, 2008 at 05:01 PM.

Does anyone remember when the Pocono's wasn't the west Bronx?

I wouldn't be caught dead around there without protection. It may not help, but it definitely won't help if you don't have it on you.
    FUCK BIDEN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast