Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: mentally ill

(Lycoming County)

Default mentally ill

ok so the guy that lives next to me is married to a nut. she has been taked to psyc ward 5 times in the past 3 years. now she wants to buy a pistol, but she cannot legaly buy it her self so her husband wants to know if its legal for him to buy one and give it to her. so if anyone here has the real answer to this please let me know. and yes i already told him that i didn't think it was a good idea to give her a gun anyway. but if it is legal then its her right to have one.

(Chester County)

Default Re: mentally ill

Edit, thinking....

Taken meaning voluntarily or involuntarily?

An involuntary commitment, under the auspices of a 302, would bar her from owning one. Voluntary commitment would not. But still obviously not a good idea.

Plus, if the guy can't "give" her the gun as far as transfer of ownership goes. She could possess it with his consent, I suppose. However, she would then have to get a carry permit to take it around with her and that may not go through given her history and their LTCF background check.

Simple answer: if she cannot legally buy one, she cannot legally have one.
    Last edited by Jackal; December 7th, 2008 at 03:49 AM.
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Lackawanna County)

I might be feeding the trolls here, but...

I don't think it would be a good idea, legalities aside.

That said, there are many 'mental illnesses' that are non-threatening; if she is a risk to herself, that should preclude her having a handgun; if she is a threat at any time to OTHERS, supplying a weapon would be illegal by any number of laws, not necessarily fire-arms related.

Also, does your friend have a death-wish?

(Lycoming County)

well i know for a fact that one time psp came and got her and she had to stay for atleast 2 weeks manditory. so i think that time was involuntary

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    well i know for a fact that one time psp came and got her and she had to stay for atleast 2 weeks manditory. so i think that time was involuntary
    Then I think you know the answer to your question

(Lycoming County)

oh she is bi polar or some thing like that and she is always gonna kill her self. and yeah imo she is a danger to others when she is having her fits.

yeah i think i know the answer to. but i'm not a layer or ever had to deal with this kind of stuff so i thought i would ask.

(Monroe County)

Why would he want to give a firearm to a mentally unstable person? I think pepper spray would be more in line with what she needs. still good for self defense without the nasty side effects of a bullet
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lycoming County)

oh no she is on ssd and hardly ever leaves her house. she just wants a pistol cause i bought my wife a g17 and now my wife and her husband and I go shooting. but she doesn't want to use his or use my wifes, she wants her own and they do have a 20 ga. and a .22 in the house already
    Last edited by o1dakota440; December 7th, 2008 at 03:58 AM.

This wouldn't be grounds for giving her a gun, but if it makes you feel better, women are at a higher risk for low risk suicide attempts...drugs and other non-violent means which translates into a lower success rate. Men however are responsible for 75% of successful suicides...perhaps its the husband you should be worried about after all. Femal bi-polar based depression attempts are often more of a cry for help, not a desire to die, but anything is possible...
    How pissed are you gonna be if you die before the Zombie Apocalypse comes? - - IANAL

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by o1dakota440 View Post
    oh no she is on ssd and hardly ever leaves her house. she just wants a pistol cause i bought my wife a g17 and now my wife and her husband and I go shooting. but she doesn't want to use his or use my wifes, she wants her own
    Not that being bipolar would automatically prohibit someone from being sane with a gun, but in the case you outline she sounds unstable.

As noted, "mental illness" is a blanket term and can range from someone who doesn't understand reality to someone who gets depressed in the winter. Use your judgment, but I would advise as others have that its not a good idea.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast