Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default My M&P45's trigger...

... suck. Plain and simple.
    Its too heavy, its too gritty, and too long.

SO i dicided to get trigger job done at here -->http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/Services.htm

Anyway..

I just got back from his place. I was expecting some old dude, but was suprised to see young guy comeout. But was very friendly, and confident. It was quick - took about an hour. My neice and I had just enough time to run down to KFC to grab a lunch, and look for ATM before he was done

Original trigger broke at ferocious 9.7lb. Thats just .... wow. Smith&Wesson web site states that M&P45's trigger weight supposed to be at 6.5 lbs. What a joke. Scarely thing is that MA approved M&P can have even worse. He was telling me about this guy who bought M&P45, not knowing it was MA approved one brought his gun to him thinking trigger is broken. He couldn't shoot it. Not realising that it was MA approved gun. He tested the trigger, and it broke at 13.4lbs!

And all the factry grittyness that comes along with it.

After talking to him for bit, and trying out other M&P45 he just finished(this one broke at around 3.9lbs assuming competition trigger work?).
    I didn't want it that light - It is my bedside gun afterall for the time being(Until I pay off my Mossy 930SPX). I'd be happy if he could reduce it to around 5lbs.

Regardlessly, difference is AMAZING! Mine - I was pressed for time, so didn't stick around too much to see what its trigger would brake at - I'm guessing aroun 4.5lbs. may be a hair higher?
    Its light. Not Mushy(which I was affraid it may be like Glock with aftermarket trigger) at all, grittieness is completly gone. Its butter smooth, and i can see that front sight do not move at all when I squeez the trigger anymore.
    Yet, I can easily still feel the reset, Overtravel is just right, and trigger brake is still crisp.

That was best friggin' $65 I've spend on anything in long time!

Those of you who have M&P45(or any other M&P for that matter), and unhappy with trigger, I highly recommend him. Its well worth $65!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(York County)

Default Re: My M&P45's trigger...

i wonder if it just the M&P 45's that have gritty triggers. I recall someone else complaining about their before. Mine seems to be great on my 40. You should feel the trigger on my gf's tauras .38. She can't shoot it in da only. It's too stiff. What is an MA approved M&P and what is the difference?
    Xbox Live Gamertag: My Tango Sucka

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    i wonder if it just the M&P 45's that have gritty triggers.
    The 45's do seem to have heavier triggers than their small bore counterparts. Nevertheless, they all benefit greatly from burwell's magic.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    The 45's do seem to have heavier triggers than their small bore counterparts. Nevertheless, they all benefit greatly from burwell's magic.
    Agreed!

I dunno why it is, but the .45's are heavier.

The M&P triggers come the worst from the factory, but clean up better than any of their competitors.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by S&WM&P40 View Post
    What is an MA approved M&P and what is the difference?
    Not sure. I know mandetory 10lbs trigger is one of requirement.
    Something to do with Chapter 180 laws AND the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Regulations.
    I'm not sure 100% what that means. But I do believe manufactures MUST submit guns for their approval. List of requirements are:

Performance Test
    Limits of Accuracy Test
    Metallurgical Test
    Drop Test
    10 lb Trigger Pull
    Hidden Serial Number
    Loaded Round Indicator
    Magazine Disconnect
    Detailed Safety Briefing and Disclosures
    Approved weapon locking device

Many manufactures refused to sell guns in MA, because it simply cost too much to be viable, and I guess its requirements aren't clear.
    here is list of regurations..
    http://www.fsguns.com/regulations.html

Here is partial list of guns which can not be sold in MA..
    http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_information.html

Just be thankful that we live in PA..

(York County)

I also have a .45 with a teribbly gritty trigger, after field stripping it and poking around i noticed that the grittyness is coming from the metal tang that rides up the firing pin retention button (im sure im not using proper terminology here, bear with me im at work.) so I stoned and polished this tang (it looked like nothing was done with it at the factory after stamping, leaving a very gritty surface),

I smoothed out the button as well as best I could.

The trigger is now as smooth as butter, I didnt change the trigger pull at all and this is something i would like to look into, but when I did this I had only had the pistol for a few days, I'll look into tearing it down some more and smoothing out the sear and firing pin to get a nicer trigger break.
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by YBNORMAL View Post
    I also have a .45 with a teribbly gritty trigger, after field stripping it and poking around i noticed that the grittyness is coming from the metal tang that rides up the firing pin retention button (im sure im not using proper terminology here, bear with me im at work.) so I stoned and polished this tang (it looked like nothing was done with it at the factory after stamping, leaving a very gritty surface),

I smoothed out the button as well as best I could.

The trigger is now as smooth as butter, I didnt change the trigger pull at all and this is something i would like to look into, but when I did this I had only had the pistol for a few days, I'll look into tearing it down some more and smoothing out the sear and firing pin to get a nicer trigger break.
    Yeah, most grittienesscomes from bat pushing up on the AFPS plunger.
    He did smooth out the tang, he also rounded the plunger,and so on.

If you feel confident about your skill as weekend gunsmith, here is instruction on how to do what he does...
    http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&Ptriggerjob1.htm

(York County)

Thanks for the link!

+1 for you my friend
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(York County)

I used the advice on this link to burwell and my trigger got muuuuuuch better, nothing needed to be done that made me too nervous,
    Ayn Rand

(Centre County)

I told ya its worth the effort! Its like totally different gun now isn't it?!