Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Time for my First AR build..

Well it's about that time, looking to start my first AR build. I'm left eye dominant so as far as I can tell my options on uppers are DPMS, or Stag, so i'm going to go with a stag and i'm getting a pretty good price I think, he can do it for $460.. I want to get a stripped lower, is there anything in particular to get, seems forged is the way to go? Also any opinions on trigger groups, and other innerds would be grrreat.

Thanks for the help, and all the future help as I plan on having you AR guys spend atleast 3hrs a day in this thread..

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Time for my First AR build..

I used DPMS and Stag lowers on my last two builds and I have no complaints. The Stag will likely be a little cheaper. I've heard that Stag lowers are made in the same place as the RRA lowers are and the only difference is the logo.

I'm a big fan of RRA for lower parts kits and I would spend the few extra dollars for a NM trigger. Since you're building a lefty rifle, you may want to go with an ambi selector.

Post pics of your rifle when it's finished.

I hope you realize that you're in very serious trouble. Once you see how easy it is to put these rifles together, you will experience a full on infection of Black Rifle Disease. After your first build is complete, you'll realize you need another, and another and another...

(Lawrence County)

Stag and RRA stripped lowers are identical save for the rollmark. Both are forged. They are tight and have very little play between upper and lower. You usually have to slap them together relatively hard the first time.

Is this a full build or one from a kit? If it's a kit, I'd just use the stock trigger group and see how it feels. Many times you can get lucky. Later, you can get aftermarket.....and you'll have a spare.

+1 on the ambi controls.

I have my own full build pics as does arfcom so it should take it much less than three hours a day.

Lycanwewantpicstoothrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

I'm confused, why bother with a lefty? I'm left handed and right eye dominant and shoot a “righty” AR. I have no issues with ejection (out the right) or accessing any of the "controls" easily and comfortably. So why go lefty?

Hawk,
    Toujours pręt

(Chester County)

Can anyone direct me to a site that has all the parts required for an AR build? Reading this thread and a little bit of research on my own has me very interested in building an AR.
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tec View Post
    Can anyone direct me to a site that has all the parts required for an AR build? Reading this thread and a little bit of research on my own has me very interested in building an AR.
    http://www.del-ton.com/

that's one of the better ones if you're looking for inexpensive.
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I'm confused, why bother with a lefty? I'm left handed and right eye dominant and shoot a “righty” AR. I have no issues with ejection (out the right) or accessing any of the "controls" easily and comfortably. So why go lefty?

Hawk,
    i am right handed, but i can barely wink with my left eye, and its just not clear, so i have to shoot rifles from my left shoulder, except reticle scopes i can shoot them from my right shoulder and see the sight with both eyes open.. but i already have a black rifle with that setup, i want to go iron sights..

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
    http://www.del-ton.com/

that's one of the better ones if you're looking for inexpensive.
    Oh wow, that site is awesome. Those kits are really inexpensive. Although now I am faced with a dilemma... do I purchase a pistol, or one of those kits!?
    "We must all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

M91/30 ~ Stag 15 Model 2

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    i am right handed, but i can barely wink with my left eye, and its just not clear, so i have to shoot rifles from my left shoulder, except reticle scopes i can shoot them from my right shoulder and see the sight with both eyes open.. but i already have a black rifle with that setup, i want to go iron sights..

I have a possible solution for you. I assume you wear shooting or prescription glasses? Guys that shoot trap that have the dominance issue (including myself) place a small piece of scotch tape on the lens of the dominant eye to block out the area of the front sight when aiming. This way you can shoot from your strong side and keep both eyes open and be able to aim with your weak eye because the strong eye can't see the front sight. Pick up any rifle and try it, and let me know how it works. BTW, it will take some trial and error to place the tape in just the right spot. The piece of tape doesn’t have to be very big (maybe the size of your little fingers nail).

Hawk,
    Toujours pręt

i'm going to do a full build no kits..

Page 1 of 39 1234511 ... LastLast