Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile NYS and FOPA.......carry in Maine

My next trip is taking me to VT, NH, Maine.

The obvious concern is transportation.

I have little choice. It has to be NY past Albany and scoot into VT.
    Probably about 250 miles. Reducing the time in NYS by much more will add many hours to the trip.
    Pulling a travel trailer means at least one stop for gas while in NYS.

Other than Code 18, and advice from those that have done this?
    The firearms transported will be limited to 5 round snubbie and a LCP.
    Any odd LCP conversions that make an LCP readily convertible to something non complient, ie extended mags?

Also carry in Maine.
    Non res. Maine license is $60 and some recent handgun training BS, so it seems not likely that I will be obtaining a Maine carry license for a few days, although I have not yet ruled it out completely.

Anyone carry in Maine under their version of constitutional carry? I presume it extends to non residents?
    I know I won't be able to carry in Parks or Acadia NP without a license.

TIA
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

Default Re: NYS and FOPA.......carry in Maine

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/license...s_permits.html

Effective October 15, 2015, Public Law 2015, Chapter 327 (LD 652), “An Act To Authorize the Carrying of Concealed Handguns without a Permit,” allows a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm to carry a concealed handgun in the State of Maine without a permit. This law also authorizes a person to possess a loaded pistol or revolver while in a motor vehicle, trailer or other vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle.

Concealed carry without a permit is limited to people who are 21 or older, with the following exception: If a person is 18 years of age or older, and is on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, or has been honorably discharged from the Armed Forces or the National Guard, and is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a firearm, the person may carry a concealed handgun. A person who is 18-20 years old and without the referenced military qualifications must have a permit to carry concealed. The law applies to both residents of Maine and non-residents.

(York County)

I could be wrong but it was my understanding that Maines constitutional carry applied to everyone, residents and non-residents, with a few restrictions on certain places that require a "license" to carry still, like state parks I believe. Check www.handgunlaw.us and click on Maine, lots of good info there on their laws.

thanks....read that 12 times and still missed it
    FUCK BIDEN

(Erie County)

Is the travel trailer considered a residence which would require a search warrant to enter?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPeanut View Post
    Is the travel trailer considered a residence which would require a search warrant to enter?
    Good question!
    While attached to a vehicle and being transported I have my doubts i would have any rights beyond the tow vehicle.
    The firearms would be stored in a safe in the trailer FWIW.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Northampton County)

Watch the speed limit. NY cites like crazy. That being said, I have transited NY to Maine dozens of times over the last 30 years. Never been pulled over. I have family that has been pulled over multiple times. None of them were ever searched.

They do NOT recognize FOPA. So you are going to jail first and sorting it out later.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Watch the speed limit. NY cites like crazy. That being said, I have transited NY to Maine dozens of times over the last 30 years. Never been pulled over. I have family that has been pulled over multiple times. None of them were ever searched.

They do NOT recognize FOPA. So you are going to jail first and sorting it out later.
    Hangunlaws.US seems to indicate they do recognize FOPA with some gray areas, ie stops for gas/food.

But yeah I get it.
    FUCK BIDEN

Curious, in Pa I can lend a handgun to anyone with a LTCF.

Wondering how other states handle lawful carry of handguns not "registered" to themselves?

I was wondering if I brought two guns that are mine, and had my SO carry one while in friendly states, but both are mine in a worse case scenario while in NYS, so both of us don't get jacked up.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post

+1. I used to make this drive every month or so when working in VT (home was still in PA). Never got stopped, but watched my speed. Gun in trunk, locked (the only time I use the integral lock on my S&W 642), separate from ammo. Figured if stopped I'd keep my mouth shut unless asked a direct question about having any guns with me.

Last case law I saw was that NY only recognizes FOPA as an affirmative defense, which of course ignores the clear purpose of FOPA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast