Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Why are Picatinny Lights so expensive?

Was thinking of getting a Picatinny light for my handgun, and started to look at the prices, but after seeing them listed for $200 and up, I am now thinking it is smarter just keep using a flashlight, as that is what the picatinny light basically is....a glorified flashlight.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...m_campaign=655

I simply don't get it.

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Why are Picatinny Lights so expensive?

u can buy a superbright flashlight for 30 bucks at walmart ,that will be good enough then paying 200 bucks for a flashlight that attaches to the handgun.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by briantheshooter View Post
    Was thinking of getting a Picatinny light for my handgun, and started to look at the prices, but after seeing them listed for $200 and up, I am now thinking it is smarter just keep using a flashlight, as that is what the picatinny light basically is....a glorified flashlight.

I simply don't get it.

Try this...........http://www.streamlight-flashlights.com/

(York County)

I simply don't get it.

+1.

Ridiculous pricing.

You can utterly BLIND someone with one of these. You can also illuminate areas without sweeping those areas with your muzzle, with one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Surefire-G2-BK-B...3%3A1|294%3A50

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
    Thanks

$80 is doable....but still, why are the Picatinny lights so much more than a regular flashlight? The specs really do not indicate any special capabilities which would render it to cost 100% more than a regular flashlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    +1.

Ridiculous pricing.

You can utterly BLIND someone with one of these. You can also illuminate areas without sweeping those areas with your muzzle, with one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Surefire-G2-BK-B...3%3A1|294%3A50

Many thanks.

After watching The Best Defense of the Outdoor Channel, I now would probably never purchase a flashlight over the internet. It needs to be just the right size for use as a weapon and fit in your hand just so.

I always thought a flashlight was a flashlight.....until watching TBD.

(Butler County)

I have probably 6 Surefires, had an UTL for my HK until I sold it and currently have an Insight Proceyon (sp?) on my HD pistol. In my opinion it's worth the money but the surefires I buy are close to the same price anyway.

From the cut sheets I've seen and the ones I'v handled at the shows etc they seem to be a bit more rugged to enable them to deal with the recoil etc.

I did see a UTG (I think) rail light in the CDNN catalog for... maybe $50? Whether it's any good or not I can't say. Both SureFire and Insight have been top notch to deal with and I don't mind paying a little more for what I believe (just my opinion) is a top notch product.

As to whether a light is just a light? After years of carrying a D cell mag a 6P Surefire is a blessing and a heck of a lot brighter.

Good luck with your choice.

(York County)

Many thanks.

After watching The Best Defense of the Outdoor Channel, I now would probably never purchase a flashlight over the internet. It needs to be just the right size for use as a weapon and fit in your hand just so.

I always thought a flashlight was a flashlight.....until watching TBD.

I agree, for the most part. There is very little that I will buy over the internet that I haven't fully researched and held in my hand locally (where possible) beforehand.

The G2 Nitrolon (think, plastic) is available at many gun shops for $40. The one ebay ad I found only saves you $3. I would rather support my local shops. I just wanted to show you what was out there.

I just don't like the idea of having to sweep large areas with the muzzle of my firearm in order to light them up. A separate light, IMO, adds flexibility.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Delaware County)

http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-PISTOL-...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

I haven't ordered one for my handguns yet but the reviews on amazon aren't to bad.

(Allegheny County)

Was thinking of getting a Picatinny light for my handgun, and started to look at the prices, but after seeing them listed for $200 and up, I am now thinking it is smarter just keep using a flashlight, as that is what the picatinny light basically is....a glorified flashlight
    Because they aren't "flashlights," they are "tactical illuminators." Add "tactical" to anything and you can double or triple the price. Tactical pants, tactical shirts, tactical lunch box.

Much of it is called "marketing." Some of it is due to better quality. Some of it is because of the low volume.

Why is a Mercedes more expensive than a Chrysler? Quality and marketing and lower volume.

I've become a big fan of LED lights. I used to have an LED flashlight, I think that it was 5 watts, that in my eyeball tests was a bright as my 2D MagLite. Unfortunately, it was left somewhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast