Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: .380 Ammo

Default .380 Ammo

Last edited by mikey; March 6th, 2010 at 01:13 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: .380 Ammo

Good to hear that at least some .380 is becoming available. Our local Wally world has removed the space on the shelf for .380 sadly. Noticed today the 9mm space is gone to replaced with 40sw. Oh well hopefully it gets better soon!

(Montgomery County)

I don't understand why .380 is so expensive and hard to find right now?
    Fortunately I have needed to buy any as I have the 12 I need to carry

-Alex

(Somerset County)

I read somewhere that 380 is produced on the same machinery that makes 9mm. If that's true, it's hard to make 380 when you're going full out making 9mm.

Dale

(Butler County)

Well, that any everyone and their brother who never owned a gun is out getting a carry permit and either a Luger LCP or Kel-Tec P3AT or PPK or....

(think about it--many people around these parts carry those types of things as a BUG or summer carry or carry for formal occasions where they can't conceal anything else--lots of new gun owners are probably content with something sized for pocket carry as their primary defensive piece).

My BUG is a .32 ACP, and there is no ammo around for that, either. At least I've seen a box of .380 this year ......

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by dk99358 View Post
    I read somewhere that 380 is produced on the same machinery that makes 9mm. If that's true, it's hard to make 380 when you're going full out making 9mm.

Dale
    I have heard this as well. I also was under the understanding that most companys only produce enough to get through the year. They do this with trending. They set up one time a year and run what they predict they will need for the next year. Makes sense to me.

In my opinion 380, where not a special niche, is a caliber that doesnt see as much range time or use as alot of other calibers. You cant really use it for IDPA type shoots and most guns that run this kind of ammo are bug/slash concealed carry guns. I know for myself a couple boxes will last me all year. I only put a handfull of mags through my kel tec when I go to the range to make sure it is working and I am hitting. Then you add the recent surge/populartiy of 380 guns to the mix and the supply will not meet the demand. It seems most gun companies are jumping on the pocket pistols and alot of gun owners want the least cumbersome firearm available. What scary is "Johnny first time owner" buys a kel tec or a ruger lpc takes it to the range for his first handgun expeirence. Wow, If that were mine I would not want to shoot alot and think all guns are that akward and unpleasant to shoot. Could be a big turn off. End of rant.

Just my 2 cents.