Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clearfield County)

Default SHK magazines from Global Ordnance, a review

So after much procrastination I ended up getting 20 of the $5/$7 AR mags and 10 of the $6/8 AK mags from Global Ordnance. If you haven't been paying attention to the deals thread these are Korean made mags and seem to have a decent reputation. Took one AR mag and 1 AK mag out yesterday with zero mag related issues through a Colt sporter and an opap. Did 80 rounds through the AR and 40 out of the AK (though feel free to send me more ammo if this seems to be an insufficient test to you). Fit and finish on both seem really good. The AR mag is definitely steel with a rip off magpul plastic follower, and it noticeably heavier than an aluminum mag, the AK mag is a slightly thinner gauge of steel than a mil-surp mag with a metal follower and as such is slightly lighter. Both feel pretty solid with what I'm guessing is a paint or some type of coating for the finish. The AR mag seems pretty comparable to D&H or ASC mags while the noticeable differences between the AK mag and a combloc one (besides the weight) is the pattern of spot welds and the feed lips are slightly thinner. Spring tension on both seems the same as a name brand mag.

Overall (with currently limited experience) I would say both are definitely worth picking up when they are on sale, especially the AK mag since there is nothing of equal quality that can be had for $6 a pop.

Default Re: SHK magazines from Global Ordnance, a review

Nice review. I*ve got a bunch of both. I*ve used one of each and liked them. Honestly though they may do nothing more than sit on a shelf but I like having plenty of back up magazines for all guns. These are a nice way to backup ar*s and aks without breaking the bank.

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    Nice review. I*ve got a bunch of both. I*ve used one of each and liked them. Honestly though they may do nothing more than sit on a shelf but I like having plenty of back up magazines for all guns. These are a nice way to backup ar*s and aks without breaking the bank.
    For $5 or $6 each there really isn't a reason to not buy a shitload. They won't be getting any cheaper.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    For $5 or $6 each there really isn't a reason to not buy a shitload. They won't be getting any cheaper.
    They make for good trade/sale items when the prices skyrocket.

If I had spare money, I would try the AK mags. Not digging the idea of heavier mags for the AR.
    I come to expect that with an AK mag, but for ME, one of the things I like most about the AR is the light overall weight.

Thanks for your input.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    They make for good trade/sale items when the prices skyrocket.

If I had spare money, I would try the AK mags. Not digging the idea of heavier mags for the AR.
    I come to expect that with an AK mag, but for ME, one of the things I like most about the AR is the light overall weight.

Thanks for your input.
    The good thing is that the weight is in the magwell and close to the center of gravity which keeps the AR balanced nicely, even if a bit heavier.

I haven't read about a failure yet w these mags.

Anybody else notice on the SHK AK mags that the feed lips seem to be significantly further apart than on AK mags of other manufacture?

I haven't heard anything bad about the mags, and I've only cycled snap-caps through mine, but mine definitely have visibly wider spacing. I measured it the other night with my calipers, and it's not my eyeballs. Just wondering if I got a "bad batch" or if that's just how they all are.