Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (York County)

Unhappy Gun Shows are becoming obsolete.

Just like the computer shows of the late 90's and 2000's, so are the gun shows becoming mundane and obsolete. Myself as well as as alot of you have gone to many gun shows over the years, only to be dissatisfied by the high prices most vendors are charging, particularly pertaing to ammo prices. The York show always has a table full of inflated price ammo directly inside the doors. I can buy the same ammo for 6 to 8 dollars less per box at the Trop or Walmart everyday.

I was informed by a very well informed person yesterday that another vendor selling ammo for much cheaper than the one inside the front door was banned from the York show because the vendor in the lobby complained to the show promoter that he was being undercut, this is not how a free market operates, competition is what keeps our prices in line. I for one will not attend this show in York again.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Gun Shows are becoming obsolete.

MikeP

(Montgomery County)

I don't think that gun shows are obsolete. It is a place where one can go and touch, try many guns, see a lot of accessories that are not always found at the LGS. You don't have to buy anything. The sellers don't have to sell at a lowers price. I go there to check on the variety of items that are available and then check with the LGS or on line. It is also a place where you get to meet other gun enthusiastic and perhaps learn a thing or two.
    E FLUCTIBUS IRRUIT IN HOSTEM. AECIDAE TELO IACET LIBATIS.

(York County)

Obsolete - no way! I enjoy browsing the vendors and always looking for antique S&W's, muskets, etc. at a good price. Over the years - I have found a few treasures at these shows. AMMO - we all will continue to be hosed as long as the anti-gun gang is in power (but that is for another thread). So, I for one won't mind spending a few bucks to have access to the next Gun show.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

(Perry County)

Funny, I was saying the same thing to my buddies during the Harrisburg show. With the internet, I can almost always find better prices and I can always find what I'm looking for.

I agree, they can be a good place to look at things; half the tables have "do not handle" signs. At least at gun shops, I've never run across that. I was going to buy powder at Harrisburg. The one guy with a decent selection had a sign stating I had to buy $10 worth of other stuff for a pound or $20 for an 8 pounder. At that point, I walked away in disgust.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    The one guy with a decent selection had a sign stating I had to buy $10 worth of other stuff for a pound or $20 for an 8 pounder. At that point, I walked away in disgust.
    Is this the guy with the miserable wife?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Is this the guy with the miserable wife?
    No idea, I read his sign and my immediate reaction was "fuck that" and I walked away. Sell the powder or don't, don't play stupid games.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(York County)

The York show has been very repetitive, same old same old, and why would the promoter schedule a show on the same day as the Oaks show in Philly which had 1500 plus tables. Would have been better attended in January. A large number of vendors were at the Oaks.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Funny, I was saying the same thing to my buddies during the Harrisburg show. With the internet, I can almost always find better prices and I can always find what I'm looking for.

I agree, they can be a good place to look at things; half the tables have "do not handle" signs. At least at gun shops, I've never run across that. I was going to buy powder at Harrisburg. The one guy with a decent selection had a sign stating I had to buy $10 worth of other stuff for a pound or $20 for an 8 pounder. At that point, I walked away in disgust.
    I wasn't looking for any reloading stuff, but I think I know what vendor you mean. H-burg didn't have a whole lot for reloading that I saw. When I went to Bloomsburg earlier in the year there was a ton of stuff.

I would have to say if you are in the market for a new gun then the prices I saw were about the same as I can do at LGS. Some were slightly higher, some slightly lower, all were in the ball park. Personally I would just buy from LGS to support them for something like that. What I like about shows is the older or unusual stuff that I can see that doesn't appear in my LGS. I picked up a very nice Mosin Hex Laminate for a better price than I can find locally. I also picked up a late 70's Beretta jetfire that might be unfired for a very good price. These are the things that keep me going to them. That and all the beef jerky.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    I wasn't looking for any reloading stuff, but I think I know what vendor you mean. H-burg didn't have a whole lot for reloading that I saw. When I went to Bloomsburg earlier in the year there was a ton of stuff.

I would have to say if you are in the market for a new gun then the prices I saw were about the same as I can do at LGS. Some were slightly higher, some slightly lower, all were in the ball park. Personally I would just buy from LGS to support them for something like that. What I like about shows is the older or unusual stuff that I can see that doesn't appear in my LGS. I picked up a very nice Mosin Hex Laminate for a better price than I can find locally. I also picked up a late 70's Beretta jetfire that might be unfired for a very good price. These are the things that keep me going to them. That and all the beef jerky.
    I had my eye on that MG42 at Harrisburg. It was a bit out of my price range. The M-60 was really out of my price range.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast