Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default confused about my 930SPX

This is my first semiauto shotgun, so may be I'm being dumb...

Anyway, I had Mossberg 500 pump shotgun before, and I always had that gun loaded next to my bed - Mag tube filled, but chamber empty(known as condition 3 in 1911), so that in case of brakein, I can grab it, send shell in to chamber by simply cycle the pump, and its condition 0 and bad guy beaware!

Now that my 930SPX have shot good several hundread rounds through, sights adjusted, and I know that it works(other then binding mag follower, which it'll be taking care of as soon as new non-binding follower shows up), i like to use it as my bedside gun, but for the life of me, I can't figure out whats the best way to keep it.

Probrem is that I fill tube, and leave the chamber empty, when I manualy cycle the bolt, it wont load first shell in to chamber.
    Manual says to hand feed 1 shell in to ejection port when bolt are open, and hit the bolt release, which would chamber first round, and your good to go(and it works fine), but with this method, I will have to have one lose shell around the gun.

I can certainly keep the gun in condition 1(or cocked and locked in 1911 term), but I'd feel little better if I can keep the 930SPX in condition 1.

What do you guys think I should do? Or am I doing something wrong with filling tube, and keep the chamber empty?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: confused about my 930SPX

I dont understand why you wouldnt keep it loaded, safety on ?????????????

(Montgomery County)

The reason not to keep the mossberg with a round in the chamber and the safety on is safety.

Do you store your hd shotgun with the muzzle pointed at the ground? I do, and I keep the chamber empty. I would not want to be pulling on a loaded shotgun while being even the slightest bit disoriented after being roused from sleep.

Take your shotgun apart and examine how the safety works. You may be surprised to see that it may only block movement of the trigger. This is not something I would want to bet my life on or the lives of others for that matter.

The smartest way to keep it is with the magazine full and the chamber empty. However, that is just my opinion.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

How will you scare the bad guy away now without that "CHA-CHICK!" sound of racking the pump?

My first thought was to keep it loaded, safety on, but then I don't have any experience with auto-loading shotguns, so perhaps that isn't the best way.

Pump, or semi, I'm no fan of making noises that scream "HEY! I'M OVER HERE!" when putting a weapon into "duty mode".
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Get a side-saddle to keep a round(s) handy to load. Practice pulling the round from the side saddle, dropping it in, and pushing the button to chamber the round (on the range of course).

Link:
    http://www.mesatactical.com/index.php?id=56

93020 SureShell Carrier for Moss 930 (4-Shell, 12-GA) 65.00
    93030 SureShell Carrier for Moss 930 (6-Shell, 12-GA) 70.00
    93040 SureShell Carrier for Moss 930 (8-Shell, 12-GA) 85.00

183.jpg

Last edited by Hawk; December 11th, 2009 at 10:12 AM.
    Toujours prêt

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    This is my first semiauto shotgun, so may be I'm being dumb...

Anyway, I had Mossberg 500 pump shotgun before, and I always had that gun loaded next to my bed - Mag tube filled, but chamber empty(known as condition 3 in 1911), so that in case of brakein, I can grab it, send shell in to chamber by simply cycle the pump, and its condition 0 and bad guy beaware!

Now that my 930SPX have shot good several hundread rounds through, sights adjusted, and I know that it works(other then binding mag follower, which it'll be taking care of as soon as new non-binding follower shows up), i like to use it as my bedside gun, but for the life of me, I can't figure out whats the best way to keep it.

Probrem is that I fill tube, and leave the chamber empty, when I manualy cycle the bolt, it wont load first shell in to chamber.
    Manual says to hand feed 1 shell in to ejection port when bolt are open, and hit the bolt release, which would chamber first round, and your good to go(and it works fine), but with this method, I will have to have one lose shell around the gun.

I can certainly keep the gun in condition 1(or cocked and locked in 1911 term), but I'd feel little better if I can keep the 930SPX in condition 1.

What do you guys think I should do? Or am I doing something wrong with filling tube, and keep the chamber empty?

It shouldn't be failing to feed with a full tube. Some have this problem and some don't. Check the tactical section at www.shotgunworld.com's forums for more information, but I can tell you that last I checked, you have three options.

1. Leave it as-is and either load it by dropping a round in the chamber or keep it cocked and locked.

2. Learn to yank that charging handle with enough force that it will load. Apparently, you can do this with most of the 930 SPX's that won't cycle the normal way, but you have to charge the gun like you're trying to break it. I have a wad of medical tape rolled around the charging handle on mine for that very reason.

3. Contact http://www.mossbergleservice.com/id6.html, the outfit that warranties the 930 SPX guns and ask them if it should be doing that. Most indications I've seen is that it shouldn't. My gun runs fine otherwise and I keep it cocked and locked anyway, but I should probably contact them anyway.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    The reason not to keep the mossberg with a round in the chamber and the safety on is safety.

I must be missing something here.
    I am not a shotgun guy, dont own one (except a few of my sons break opens).

Its pretty common that we all (or those of us with experiance and/or training) carry our handguns loaded with one in the pipe. I carry a 1911 C&L'd.

what makes a shotgun different?

They do make shotgun scabbards it can go in.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    I must be missing something here.
    I am not a shotgun guy, dont own one (except a few of my sons break opens).

Its pretty common that we all (or those of us with experiance and/or training) carry our handguns loaded with one in the pipe. I carry a 1911 C&L'd.

what makes a shotgun different?

They do make shotgun scabbards it can go in.
    I'm sure if the OP were carrying it, he'd want it cocked and locked. However, the OP only mentioned that it would be used as a bedside gun, and I'm guessing he wants to be able to use the bolt drop as fear factor similar to racking the slide on a pump.

When I get home tonight, I'm going to try doing this same thing with my 930SPX and see what happens.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Montgomery County)

Good question,

A 1911 has many safety features and is designed to be carried cocked and locked. There is a grip safety, the manual (thumb) safety and either an inertial firing pin and/or a firing pin block (released by the trigger).

Your mossberg, if it is like my 590 has a safety that blocks the trigger from being pulled. Take yours apart and look at it.

Taking a bit of extra time to chamber a round in your shotgun will also be a good way to avoid a negligent discharge by yourself or another. And, since most people keep their shotguns with the muzzle pointed up it is entirely possible to sweep yourself and or your loved ones while relying on one little trigger blocking safety!

If you are ever in a situation at home where you have less then five seconds to respond to whatever the problem is, you should buy stronger doors and get a dog. My point being, the minor amount of time that having a round chambered will save you is not worth the risk, in my opinion.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    If you are ever in a situation at home where you have less then five seconds to respond to whatever the problem is, you should buy stronger doors and get a dog. My point being, the minor amount of time that having a round chambered will save you is not worth the risk, in my opinion.
    I am willing to listen, but if the only reason not to have the gun loaded and on safe is to feel safer I am going to have to disagree. Store it muzzle in a safe direction in a scabbard that covers the trigger guard.

are these not drop safe ?

I had an attempted home invasion once. It was a long time ago and I lived in a not so great part of town. The BG followed a friend of mine in through my front apartment door, up my door, and then tried to force his way in with a gun.

We struggled at the door.

I thought I could slam the door on his arm, but I just wound up with a gun waving arounf the room while my friends panicked and ran in circles.

If I would have had a gun, gone for a gun, or had a gun at that point I would say that having as few things as possible between me and a trigger press would be ideal.

The violence that comes to you will by defination not be on your terms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast