Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Hokkmike Guest

Default What is your absolute favorite rifle?

Here is mine: (yes - a bit of cut and paste!)

The Sako Finnlight

Sako's recently-introduced Finnlight is my favorite of the current Sakos. Light, handy, handsomely proportioned and ideally suited to hunting in the toughest conditions, the receiver, bolt, and barrel's stainless steel construction offers maximum corrosion resistance.

As with all Sako rifles, the stainless steel barrel of the Finnlight is made by cold hammer forging. Rather than being slimmed down to minimum dimensions as with other lightweights, it is made to standard size and then fluted to reduce weight, making for greater rigidity than a light barrel. Except for a short section just ahead of the receiver, the barrel is free-floated.

Three of the four receiver sizes are available in the Finnlight configuration. The medium (size III) action is offered in .243 Win., 7mm-08 Rem. and .308 Win. Barrel length is just over 20 inches and weight (empty, without scope, bases, or rings) is 6 pounds. The long action (size IV) is chambered for the .30-'06 and its offspring (.25-'06 Rem., .270 Win., .280 Rem.) plus the 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser, with a 21 inch barrel and a weight of 6.5 pounds. Two popular magnum cartridges, the 7mm Rem. and .300 Win, are available in the size V action, with 22 1/2 inch barrel and a weight of 7.5 pounds.

And here is my chosen caliber:

In Europe, and especially in Scandinavia, the 6.5x55 cartridge is ever popular. On this side of the pond, what the cartridge lacks in number of fans is made up for by their enthusiasm. It is an efficient cartridge, with light recoil and good ballistic performance. Fired at high velocities without excessive recoil, bullets in the 140 grain range in 6.5 caliber serve up high ballistic coefficients. And though American shooters haven't exactly flocked to the various 6.5s in the past, the .260 Rem., which was initially developed for metallic silhouette shooting, has gained a following with deer hunters who appreciate its fine combination of adequate power and light recoil.

The Finnlight in 6.5x55 has a rifling twist of 1:8 inches. Personally I don't see much need for bullets heavier than 140 grains in this caliber, but for shooters who like the classic long, lean 160 grain round-nose bullets, the quick twist should be adequate to stabilize them. The barrel throat is long enough to accept these bullets and the magazine, designed around the longer .30-'06 family, has plenty of space for the longer OAL of the 160 grain loads.

Top it off with a 2X7 or 3X9 quality scope of your choice and you are ready for groundhogs to moose!

Default Re: What is your absolute favorite rifle?

anything that shoots .50BMG... lol

i only own two rifles... and honestly my 10/22 is the favorite of what i own right now...
    This Space For Rent

(Dauphin County)

Which child is your favorite? All of them.

Hokkmike Guest

Welcome Shepherd321 and boooo on your answer. (LOL) Which child is the most fun to play with? (sure they are all beautiful kids!)

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Welcome Shepherd321 and boooo on your answer. (LOL) Which child is the most fun to play with? (sure they are all beautiful kids!)
    The naked 8yo in my closet...
    (NOTE - that's a JOKE and I in no way believe anyone should keep a naked 8yo in their closet, they should at least have a hat...)

I started out loving my AR above all others. Then I realized I really like distance shooting. So then my Rem 700 .30-06 was the cat's meow. Recently I've bought a 10/22 and plinked a while. After doing some research, I see there's a billionty and one after market parts for it. So I just bought a second 10/22 and plan to put some extras into it and see what I can get out of the little .22lr rifle.

So a simple answer really at this point in time is the 10/22.
    Zone1
    My Glock does 1d6+3 dmg, but my 18 dex makes up for that...

(Beaver County)

I only own one, Remington 700 30.06. I absolutely love shooting it. I think I've shot it more than my pistols since I got it a couple months ago.

(Dauphin County)

Ok, If I could only keep 1.
    My Remington 700 mtn ss syn in 243 topped off with a 4x IOR

Hokkmike Guest

You are a good sport. Thanks!

(Fayette County)

Of everything that I own or have fired, I still come back to the .30/40 Krag. I just like it, not real sure why. Its not a semi, its not as powerful as some, its not as pretty as some, I just like it. The new Henry .44 Mag is the new flavor of the month though.

Hokkmike Guest

I am shopping for a lever action so this is good to hear!

My Remington 700 mtn ss syn in 243 topped off with a 4x IOR
    Sounds great. What is an IOR?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast