Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bears

(Adams County)

Default Bears

Don't think I'm nuts on this please (the family already does). We have a nuisance bear problem in my neighborhood. They are starting to patrol the streets and properties again, especially the night before trash day. Hardly anybody has actually seen them. My wife thought she did one morning very early. The neighbors, who have lived here much longer than us, said they have seen them. One was hit by a car last spring, and a neighbor showed me pics of a few in her yard demolishing her bird feeders. I have seen tracks, and last summer we heard (one) knocking around my goose decoys by the shed, and pushing the trash can over. I also left some bacon out on a log one night. Didn't hear anything, but the log was rolled down into the treeline, and all the bark stripped off one side. We also find tracks and we have a few peices of scat (okay I do, the wife wants nothing to do with it). With all the hunting I do, I've never been able to get a good close look at one, with the exception of a zoo or National park like yellow stone. I have seen them bolting away when hunting, but a very far away quick glimpse.

So, after making you guys read the above book......how can I attract one onto my property, at a reasonable time to see it and snap a pic or video?
    “IF THE DEVIL COACHES NAVY ORDNANCE, THEN HELL IS THE ORDIES HOMEFIELD”

(Centre County)

Default Re: Bears

I suggest that you DON'T try to lure them in, they can be very distructive. However, if you really want to, put out ears of dry corn (like you would put out for squirrels). That will bring them in. They normally roam at night and early morning. Set up a game camera if you have one.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I suggest that you DON'T try to lure them in, they can be very distructive. However, if you really want to, put out ears of dry corn (like you would put out for squirrels). That will bring them in. They normally roam at night and early morning. Set up a game camera if you have one.
    Corn has been out. Deer go through 4-5 50# bags a week. Turkey are just starting to find it. Not as many birds as I thought there would be. Still early though. Last summer, when we moved in, the bears actuall walked through the corn, didn't seem to want it. Does it have to be on the ear?

As luring them in....they are already here, I just want a glimpse and a decent pic/viseo and I'll leave it at that.

Also, the corn is legal. And I don't hunt on my property. Although the Neighbors want me too!....I told them that would not be much of a sporting thing to do...they said they didn't care if it would save gardens and ornamental shrubery.....I told them even if I did kill a few..no way would it make a dent!

Anyway....as for the bears, do you think that gooey bait stuff would work? I have trail cameras, but don't want a night shot.

(Berks County)

Leave a garbage can open with some chicken in it and they will show up. I have one that is about 500lbs from eating all the garbage in the neighbors garbage cans. I have to start putting away my garbage can away in my garage
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    Leave a garbage can open with some chicken in it and they will show up. I have one that is about 500lbs from eating all the garbage in the neighbors garbage cans. I have to start putting away my garbage can away in my garage

That sounds good, but there are coyotes, dogs, and freaking cats here that would get it first most likely. 500lbs?.....wow, they estimate the bears here at about 200lbs max. The one hit by the car last spring was only 180lbs. They said it was an adult.

In reality you should do everything possible to avoid bringing bears into your neighborhood which includes feeding the deer, which also is a bad idea particularly if you live in suburb or development. Trust me they look cute now, but when the deer start eating your annuals and perennials, and the bear is scattering your garbage cans every night you'll wish you'll wish you and your neighbors never fed them. BTW technically it is a violation of game law to feed bears intentionally, and unintentionally through other wildlife feeding if a nuisance situation exists.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?A=11&Q=157671

You probably should just stop feeding the deer and put away your garbage cans for the next month or so until things green up and there is natural food for the bears.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Lehigh County)

i wouldnt feed them. if anything get a trail camera and just wait they will make there rounds. If anything just use the corn idea like somone had stated that way you can enjoy all sorts of wildlife. It may come to a time when the bear may have young if it is a female and you dont want to be around that feeding area if that happens they are very protective and it may come after you.

(Allegheny County)

Please don't lure them to your property.....lure them to your neighbors property.

Also, I've heard from a few people that Krispy Kreme Doughnuts work really well.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Also, I've heard from a few people that Krispy Kreme Doughnuts work really well.
    If he uses Krispy Kremes, he might have some members from here dressing up in bear suits and going after those doughnuts

Remember to put out pizza and beer too..."bears" like those as well

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    If he uses Krispy Kremes, he might have some members from here dressing up in bear suits and going after those doughnuts

Remember to put out pizza and beer too..."bears" like those as well
    If he puts out pizza and beer we could get a group of bears goin to his backyard.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast