Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Would you trade......?

A police trade in Beretta 96 and a Smith and Wesson 909 for an early 80's West German Sig P220 in 99% condition with box and papers?

That is what I am considering. I bought the Beretta as a fun toy and don't carry it or shoot it much. The S&W got carried for a little but then it kinda got pushed back and just sits in the case. I carry my Glocks most of the time.

So I am thinking about trading those 2 guns I don't really use for an older (very high quality when they were made best) SIG that I know I will carry and enjoy shooting. The P220 has a reputation for being the most accurate and well machined service .45 ever made and the West G's are the cream of the crop. I think I can get the SIG on a straight trade.

Would you do it?
    "Glocks are 5 times as addictive as crack"

(Perry County)

Default Re: Would you trade......?

Not me. You're looking at trading $700 worth of guns for a $450 gun.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Not me. You're looking at trading $700 worth of guns for a $450 gun.
    Yea, I don't really know. According to my research and asking around a holster worn Beretta 96 isn't worth shit. I didn't give much for it and the prices I have gotten weren't far below and I was still insulted. The 909 is kind of an oddball. It's a value line Smith and they didn't cost much new.

I like guns I'm going to use, I don't have endless cash and I'm not a collector. Still considering......

(Chester County)

A P220 is an excellent piece. The two you mentioned aren't even in the same ballpark. You can shoot it all day and when you run out of ammo you can beat your enemy with it. Use factory, Mec Gar or ACT mags stay away from the crappy ProMags. Important information = Never thumb down the hammer always use the decocker!
    Diversity is the greatest weakness, excellence is the greatest strength. JPC

(Chester County)

I wouldn't but if you can trade two guns you never to rarely use for a gun that you really like and will shoot often sounds like a no brainer to me, especially if you're fine with the value.
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." — Thomas Paine

(Berks County)

Seems your problems is between trading two guns you don't use for one you want, and going a bit backwards on dollar value in the trade.

I'm a penny pincher, (govt salary you know), so I won't want to lose money on a trade. But if you don't mind... Then get what you want.

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to maximize my happiness. Try to sell both your current pieces privately for a greater dollar value than the gun you want. Then buy the Sig. You get the gun you want, AND a few extra bucks to feed ammo to it.

ETA: I might be in the mood for a Beretta ��
    Last edited by jw34; December 11th, 2014 at 06:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Chester County)

Sell the guns you don't want for fair market value, then buy one you do want.

(Bucks County)

nothing special about the beretta and if you search around you can find well used beretta's all day long for much less than $500. i've never heard of the SW 909 but if its something you rarely use and not worth much get rid of it. I'm assuming the sig is at a gun shop so your best beat may be to sell your guns privately for market value as others have suggested and then buy the sig. if you got to have the sig now then there's nothing wrong with losing a little money and getting what you want. if the sig is at a gunshop waiting to long to make a decision will guarantee some one else will make it for you by buying the sig.
    Last edited by wellcraft; December 11th, 2014 at 08:36 AM.

Ok, the Beretta 96 wasn't a PSP trade in, was it?

Completed auctions on Gunbroker put the 909 at around $265-300.

The West German Sig P220 went for $400 with no papers police trade, to about $600+ with box and nice condition.

The 96, well that depends. a PSP trade in will net you close to $600, but a regular old 96 wouldn't pull more than about $400 right now at auction. Take away fees, and if the 96 is just a standard model and not a PSP model, and you have about $600 worth of gun than you are trading for $600 worth of gun.

I made the trade, and I'm thrilled with the SIG. I already have a W.German 226 9mm that is so easy to shoot well with it's not even funny. These old ones were built when the people who crafted them took pride in what they made. Real works of art IMO.

And no, the Beretta wasn't a PSP gun, just a regular old DA/SA 96. I think it was from the Florida Highway Patrol but it wasn't marked. It was a straight dust cover model and I read that the frames start to crack around 10,000 rounds on most of them. That one had a lot of miles on it too.