Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Walther P22

(Lehigh County)

Default Walther P22

For those of you who floats between Ruger, Browning, Walther and the like.

I've been looking for one in .22 for awhile and couldn't make up my mine on which one to get, I finally designed on Walther P22 for my wife and my daughter to play with due to it small, light and "tacticool" looking that fit their small hands, if it's for me, I'd have gone with the Browning Buckmark.

Anyway, went to American Shooting Sport and bought a new P22 from Rich Yesterday, went to the range today to try it out with four different loads, total of 1000 rounds right out of the box without cleaning it, all I did was just make sure there's no obstruction in the chamber.

All ammo are standard load that I use on my rifle.

Rem. ThunderBolt , 300rds , Zero problem with good accuracy.
    CCI , 200rds , Zero problem with ok accuracy.
    Federal Premium, 300 rds, Zero problem with ok accuracy.
    Win. Super X, 200rds with 6 FTF the second round of full mag, the second round stills sit in the mag but the fired round empty shell ejected and the action is closed. All I did was rack the slide again and off it went all the way.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with my purchased (Thanks Rich Flynn) , if you want a small .22 and have your eyes on the P22 but worry about the reliability of the P22 like I was, I hope this range report will help.

Merry Christmas to all.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Walther P22

I have a P22 and like it very much! I feed it 600 rounds of Thunderbolt without a hiccup. Only thing is that TBolts are dirty, filthy ammo! I had to clean the gun at around 400 rounds.

Thanks for the report!

(Philadelphia County)

I also have a P22 and also like it a lot.

I also had a lot of trouble with the Winchester in all my .22s. I will never buy it again.

If you used the Thunderbolt first before testing other ammo, the accuracy differences might have been because the Thunderbolt leaded the bore. Clean it and try any copper or brass plated ammo again and it might do better.

My P22 most prefers the Rem golden bullets and the Federal bulk and it eats a lot of both.

Glad you are happy with it. Your wife and daughter will love shooting it too.

(Dauphin County)

I have one also fun little plinker, I'm shooting Federal 36grain high velocity hollow point...

(Delaware County)

Ive been very happy with my p22. ive fed it all sorts of ammo. Biggest thing i noticed is with non coated lead, the barrel will get a build up adfn then you get tumbling rounds. I shoot all plated rounds now.

(Montgomery County)

I got my walther P22 from Rich at American Sports Shooting as well, about 1.5 or 2 month ago. I played with it a bunch, last time actually yesterday. I also got a thread adapter from him for the can I'm going to be buying from him and in the mean time got a fake suppressor - it makes the balance much nicer. The pistol is a lot of fun. Even though it's not as accurate as my U22 it is more of practice because it operates much more closely to pistols in substantial calibers. Unlike the U22 it still hasn't had a failure to fire or failure to feed.

Day before yesterday I bought a Saiga -12 from American Sports Shooting. I went out to the range and fired about 70 rounds. Doesn't sound impressive but they are 12GA rounds and I only have 1 right shoulder.

I like my Walther P22, and as long as you're using the new magazines with it, and have a good recoil spring in it, it works great. I shot mine so much that the recoil spring wore out. Mine is one of the older ones, and didn't have the pin where the slide release sits, so it wore the slide. No big deal, you just can't be sloppy with it because the action doesn't stay open. I hear the newer ones have a steel pin where the slide release rests and doesn't suffer from this problem. Mine is very accurate and prefers the federal bulk pack. I have problems with semi auto's and the "golden bullets" and the thunderbolts, but all semi autos are different.

(Lehigh County)

Tomcat, is that pin visible without taking it apart to see it? can you post a pic?, I'd like to learn more about this little P22 and probably will add more accessories on it later, supressor may be.

(Lycoming County)

Never owned a Walther that wasn't reliable.