Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Default Reloading virgin

Hey folks,

I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but based on ammo prices for .223/5.56, .45, and .30-06 (anxiously awaiting my M1 Garand) it is something I am really looking to get into. I have NO idea about set up cost or even how elaborate the set up needs to be. Anyone mind posting a pic of their set up so I can see how much space I would need? What does a basic set up cost? How about reloading the different rounds. Do I need different equipment other than the die sets (aside from powder mixtures, primers, bullets, and brass of course)?

Is it a good idea to reload some of the other rounds I shoot? I shoot .30 and .380 too.

I am getting to the point where my little collection is about where I want it and am now looking to really offset the cost of stocking up on ammo.

Thanks!

(Berks County)

Default Re: Reloading virgin

1. Read this:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...ead-first.html

2. Let me know what questions you have when you're done reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    1. Read this:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/ammunition-re...ead-first.html

2. Let me know what questions you have when you're done reading it.
    I'm reading that now, but I still can't get a feel for how much space this stuff takes up or even what is "good" or worth reloading. Is .380 bras available or is that as hard to come by as the ammo? Is it even viable to reload .380? How about .38?

Do I need different powders for each or just different ammounts of the same brand/type of powder?

(Berks County)

When you get to the part of that sticky about having at least one reloading manual . .. . listen! Your reloading manual will tell you which powders to use for which calibers and how much.

As far as space, here's my bench:

(Allegheny County)

You can start with a simple single stage press and c-clamp it to "any" work area. You can even use a handpress and work on your lap The tumbler takes up the most room, but can be put away along with any other "components" of the reloading process.

380 will be a bit hard right now to reload, unless you have access to some brass (the hard part).

.223 is a bitch right now too (small rifle primer shortage). If I were you I'd hold off for a few more month's to see if components become readily available again for .223.

You may be successful starting to reload .45, I think components are a little easier to find???

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny1969 View Post
    You can even use a handpress and work on your lap.
    This is what I'm interested in, as I need more clutter on my workbench like NJ needs another Brian Miller.

Any recommendations on these from those in the know? I'm looking to do some reloads on .357mag, and possibly .38spl.

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    When you get to the part of that sticky about having at least one reloading manual . .. . listen! Your reloading manual will tell you which powders to use for which calibers and how much.

As far as space, here's my bench:

Thanks for the pic. I think I have that much space I can take up.

Seems that the entry into reloading with a versitile set up is about a grand (based on the Dillon RL 550B and assorted dies, the tumbler, and the case trimmer). It looks like the Dillon has a good number of the other things that would be needed like the power measure, but I would still need the powder scale right?

I saw the online database for reloading. What do the reloading manuals run price wise? (I can't get to amazon from work to check them out.)

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Hey folks,

I haven't gotten into reloading yet, but based on ammo prices for .223/5.56, .45, and .30-06 (anxiously awaiting my M1 Garand) it is something I am really looking to get into. I have NO idea about set up cost or even how elaborate the set up needs to be. Anyone mind posting a pic of their set up so I can see how much space I would need? What does a basic set up cost? How about reloading the different rounds. Do I need different equipment other than the die sets (aside from powder mixtures, primers, bullets, and brass of course)?

Is it a good idea to reload some of the other rounds I shoot? I shoot .30 and .380 too.

I am getting to the point where my little collection is about where I want it and am now looking to really offset the cost of stocking up on ammo.

Thanks!
    I think that depends on how much you shoot. What kind of set up your looking at? Are you reloading for accuracy or just some plinking. It is like anything else. You got your basic set up. I have seen some benches set up on one of those portable work stations to really elaborate set up. I agree get a book or two. If you want a general estimate.
    Heres whats in mine. I am looking at closer to a grand for my set up.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    Hey folks,

Thanks!
    Reloading is great but it is as much or more work than actually shooting.
    If you ENJOY reloading, you should learn as much as you can about it in preparation of buying your own equipment before buying your own.
    If you are lucky, it would be something you and a good friend could do together to split the costs as well as two heads watching the reloading process. I have had some great time that way.
    Unfortunately, I would say this is not the right time to jump into reloading because every single item is either high priced or flat out not available. I would hope that a year from now things would be back to normal but I bet not. Because of the whole threat to ammo and firearms, I bet people will continue to buy up ammunition and components (especially primers and bullets) for a good long time.

(Westmoreland County)

I bought the Lee single stage kit with the quick change bushings (~$100), .223 rem dies (~$20), the trim tool (~$10 for both parts), also a caliper (~$30) for checking dimensions. Started off with 1LB of powder (~$20, H-Varget though powder prices tend to be similar), 300 primers (<$10) and 3 100 count boxes hornady 55 grain FMJ-BT from cabellas (I think they were $12.99 at the time, probably roughly the same now).

Since then I've also bought 4 die 9mm die set (carbide) I think it was ~$30, didn't bother with trimmer.. I'll just set aside if they are too long, maybe trim in the future if it seems worth it.

Also just started 30-06, again $20(dies) + $10(trim).

I'm on my 2nd reloading of approx 300 pieces of 223 brass. I dont tumble, if they are real dirty I soke & agitate in soapy water then let them dry for a couple days. If you shoot & pick them up they stay pretty clean unless they land in mud.

Buy extra bushings when you get it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast