Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default run in with reading northern railroad police

not so much firearms related but I figured it sort of fit. If I'm posting in the wrong place I apologize as I didn't know where to post.

Saturday afternoon me and a bunch of friends went out to play paintball on a friend's land. We were playing on approx 100 acres of private land that borders the railroad and state game lands. At one point a train came through and was hit with some paintballs from our battle. No one thought much of it. This was a passenger train apparently.

We continued playing and about an hour later we came down to the road where the truck was parked to reload on paintballs and beer. When we came down a reading northern railroad police officer was standing there and wanted to know who hit the train. Took down all of our information and so on.

To my knowledge I was the only one firing a paintball gun at the time the train came through. now on site no charges were filed. But I was threatened with a list of misdemeanors and possibly a felony. Now witnesses on the train said there was more than one shooter and I told them that I wasn't aware of that.

My question is can I really be charged if a paintball hits the side of a steel train? vandalism and criminal mischief is described as an intentional act. This was not intentional I was also told that if anyone was hit it could be assault. At the time they didn't know. I am expecting to hear from them this morning. Was just looking for any feedback or insight into the matter as I have never come across something like this before

(Berks County)

Default Re: run in with reading northern railroad police

I would have ensured the train passed unmolested and that the group was a safe distance from it and NOT discharging paintballs towards it. That would have been the responsible thing to do, IMO.
    A Republic, if you can keep it.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

The kinetic energy of a round that large in caliber can knock a train clean off its tracks...

When I was a kid, we lived with a rail line behind our house and I loved to put a penny on the track and see how it was flattened. My mother used to say that it might cause the train to derail.

Anyway, I don't think a paintball will hurt a train, but that's not the point. It's someone else's stuff and shouldn't be shot at with even a spitball.

Your punishment is to have your car shot at by one of your paintballs.....
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Mercer County)

I don't know the range of a paint ball gun....but I know the railroad's right away is normally 100 feet, 50 feet on each side of the original track centerline.

So, along with vandalism they might run a charge of trespassing.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Adams County)

first mistake shooting at the train.
    second mistake. you have the right to remain silent but did not.

no a paint ball will not hurt a train. but it also does not belong to you. would you want your car- truck shot with paint balls? how about your house ? it is a thing called common courtesy. on top of that the paper will read man charged with shooting at a train. nothing will be said about paintball.

why do you people keep giving them things to use against us ?

(Monroe County)

Sorry guy, I for one am not buying that you accidentally shot a train.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by forby View Post
    Your punishment is to have your car shot at by one of your paintballs.....
    I couldn't agree more.

For such a minor offense as "accidentally" shooting a passenger train, I feel an apt punishment should be the OP's car and house be hit with at least as many paintballs as he shot at the train...oops, I mean inadvertently shot in the direction of th train.

(Lycoming County)

If you "accidentally" hit the train I would say you should get rid of the paintball toys. It does not seem as if it is for you because you are doing it wrong.

Truth be told, if you lack fire discipline, as it appears, you should probably leave the big boy guns at home as well.

Be safe (and avoid the "accidents").

Scott

(Schuylkill County)

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion. I am not some teenager trying to cause havoc. Everyone posted here has valid points. but regardless of people's opinions the train was not shot on purpose. Firing a paintball marker 30 yards into the treeline that can fire 23 balls per second I can't account for where they all went. Or if it was even my paintballs. But we can agree to disagree.

The OP mentioned something about refilling on beer. I would think that shooting paint balls while perhaps somewhat intoxicated is not a good idea.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast