Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lawrence County)

Default "Recycled" powder?

I stopped by mastercast today to get a box of their 9mm cast reloads to see how well the conical points feed in my gun. While I was there I saw they have IMR 4895 powder available in bulk from pulled Mil surplus bullets. I use that powder to load my 300 win mag and 8mm Mauser.

I'm no expert on reloading, but I have read to increase accuracy you should not mix lot numbers. It's just a guess, but i'm sure it ain't all the same lot. I believe the price was $14.50 / lb. Price wise it seems like a good deal. But if it won't hold a group I'd rather spend a few extra bucks and get "the good stuff".

Is it worth trying or should I buy it new? Anybody have any thoughts, or experience with "recycled" powder??

(Centre County)

Default Re: "Recycled" powder?

IIRC, IMR4895 for military ammo is not the same as civilian IMR4895. Not that it won't work, but I would definitely start at the bottom of the load chart and work up from there.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: "Recycled" powder?

Here's the way I understand the consistency concerns with mixing powder lots:
    There will be differences in powder density from one lot to another, as much as 16% if I recall correctly what one of the technicians from Lee Precision told me.
    If you're using one pound at a time, have an almost empty can, and dump the remainder of that can into a full can of a different lot number, you've just changed the integrity of the contents of the new can. Test your loads, they may have different pressure, velocity and point of impact than the last can you loaded from. One round to the next from that altered lot should be consistent with each other, but not necessarily with the last lot you used, or the next lot you may use. If you have 5 one pound cans of IMR 4895 from lot #123 and add 2 ounces of IMR 4895 from lot #106 to one of those cans and mix well, it will be different than the other 4 cans but consistent within itself. Fine tune your load to the altered lot and you should get consistency throughout that can of powder, but may have to make minor changes when you start to use the next can.
    If you have 8 1 pound cans of IMR 4895 of varying lot numbers and mix them all together into one 8# can you'll have a unique 8# lot of powder that will be consistent within itself, but not to any other lot of powder.

NEVER mix different types or brands of powder! Example: Do not mix IMR 4895 with Hodgdon H4895. They are similar, but not the same.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to buy the "recycled" powder.

Forgive me for being so wordy, but I sometimes have a hard time making my verbiage reflect my thoughts. I'm sure it could be explained more clearly with fewer words, but not by me at this time.

I hope I've helped rather than confused you.

If anyone sees a flaw in my reasoning please don't hesitate to point it out.

As pointed out by Xringshooter, start with a light load and work your way back up to where you want to be.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.