Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Looking for a 1911

So I am contemplating the purchase of a new 1911. I was looking for something more custom and unique, maybe a Wilson or Les Baer but I was hoping this forum might be able to make a few suggestions. I don’t need a brand name, just a really high quality firearm. I would like to spend less than $2k and am looking for something with a 4-5" barrel length. Most likely it will be in a .45 but I am still considering .40 as the rest of my collection if .40cal. Thanks

(York County)

Default Re: Looking for a 1911

I have 3 wilsons. A tactical elite, a Stealth, and a KZ (which is discontinued I think due to lack of sales). I haven't had any issues with either of them at all. Wilson's customer service is also great. You can find them cheaper at a dealer rather than going to wilson dirrectly. Their prices have gone up since I got mine. They are vary accurate as well.

I'm sure others on here may tell you to get a Kimber and spend the saved money on ammo. I considerd the kimber before going to wilson but it was when kimber introduced their internal safety that was apparently causing reliability issues. I wanted a top quality gun and so I chose Wilson.

I have read that Les baer's guns are extremely tight and need to be broken in before they are reliable. Wilsons breakin process is 500 rounds before initial cleaning. I am extremely happy with my wilsons and if you get one you just might find it hard to just have one (kind of like patato chips).

sid

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Looking for a 1911

I don't have any experience with Wilson, but some of my friends swear by them.
    For the money, the Springfield TRP is a great gun..
    I was going to get on myself, but I came across a deal on a Nighthawk Custom GRP Recon.. Man do I love this gun.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers