Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Those danged loopholes-again

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news...y-leaders?lite

I didn't see another post on this-but as usual, truck-sized loopholes described in this story are being blamed for this ex-con's ability to create a "hoard" of assault weapons. Private sales and gun shows once again are to blame, the authorities say...

Take care,
    Dave
    Last edited by ExTxN; February 22nd, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Those d@&*ed loopholes-again

Quote Originally Posted by ExTxN View Post
    http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news...y-leaders?lite

I didn't see another post on this-but as usual, truck-sized loopholes described in this story are being blamed for this ex-con's ability to create a "hoard" of assault weapons. Private sales and gun shows once again are to blame, the authorities say...

Take care,
    Dave
    Truck sized loopholes? Did I miss where they said that?

All I saw was a minor mention of gun shows or private sales as a possible source of his guns:

Dettelbach, who is overseeing the case, said that federal agents have been unable to determine how and where Schmidt obtained his weapons, prompting officials to conclude he likely acquired them at gun shows or through private sales -- where under federal law no background checks are required.
    ETA I hadn't watched the video before I commented, where they do say "giant sized loopholes"
    Last edited by soberbyker; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:24 AM.

No sir you didn't miss it-that was my sarcastic exaggeration of their exaggerations. Sorry if I mislead you. The reporter stated that private sales with no documentation were responsible for 80% of illegally-obtained weapons; hence my remark.

"Because Congress has prohibited a national computerized database of gun sales, tracking the sale of firearms is a cumbersome process forcing investigators to rely on research methods from decades past. And if the sale occurred through a private seller – which is how 80 percent of those convicted of gun crimes get their weapons -- no documentation is required. NBC's Michael Isikoff reports."

Take care,
    Dave
    Last edited by ExTxN; February 22nd, 2013 at 06:38 AM.

(Montgomery County)

The major loophole here is that the guy still wasn't in prison for killing somebody and wounding two others.
    Hafa Adai! IANAL I merely state my opinion. If I am wrong, please correct me.

(Lawrence County)

What bothered me most about this article was the reference to a recent John Hopkins study that mentions 80% of criminals got their guns through gunshows or private sales without a background check. I did a search and found the study, here is what it actually says:

"Data from a national survey of inmates indicated that nearly 80 percent of those that had used a handgun in a crime had acquired it through a transaction with an individual who was not a licensed gun dealer."
    Well no fucking shit, so now breaking into someones house and stealing their firearm is considered a private sale and a junky in the alley with a couple guns to trade for crack is considered a gunshow? This is why I hate the media. How many people reading that take it as gospel without ever looking it up to find the truth?

(Schuylkill County)

Well no fucking shit, so now breaking into someones house and stealing their firearm is considered a private sale and a junky in the alley with a couple guns to trade for crack is considered a gunshow? This is why I hate the media. How many people reading that take it as gospel without ever looking it up to find the truth?
    Exactly! They just blindly take the word of convicted criminals and present it as facts.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BenP View Post
    The major loophole here is that the guy still wasn't in prison for killing somebody and wounding two others.
    13 years for Homocide! Thats the problem!

(Cambria County)

"Alleged" Neo-Nazi

"Apparent" Racist Hit List

"Supposed" ties to White Supremacist groups

The blatant propaganda is so thick in this story you could pave a fucking road with it....
    You can only draw so many lines in the sand before you are backed into a corner...

(Chester County)

I love how they dont mention theft as a possible reason as to how he got his guns... It can't have been through theft... Must have been those damned gun shows... I also love how they dont tell us that you can only do FTF sales for long guns... They make no mention that handguns have to go through FFL....

Do you think this news source is just a tad biased?
    "All we have is a temporary bill of privileges" - George Carlin

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by FAL-SHOOTER View Post
    "Alleged" Neo-Nazi

"Apparent" Racist Hit List

"Supposed" ties to White Supremacist groups

The blatant propaganda is so thick in this story you could pave a fucking road with it....
    Agree. Is leftist's doing their best.
    Last edited by khankewycz; February 22nd, 2013 at 03:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast