Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Would You Have Shot This Dog, Had You Been There?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

48 70.59%
  • No

20 29.41%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Would you have shot this dog?

Do you think you would have drawn and fired on this dog, given the circumstances?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=998_1293951742

A Sacramento police officer shot and killed a pit bull after it attacked a carriage horse in Old Sacramento.

Carriage driver, Jim Frenken, was giving a man and two children a tour of old town when the dog raced up to the horse, biting its legs and face.

John Dixon tried to stop the attack.

"I saw the dog hanging on the horse's face so I took off running to the horse and started kicking the dog as hard as I could," said Dixon. "He kept grabbing the horses, face."

Dixon cornered the dog and held it down with his boot pinned on the dog's neck.

When Sacramento police arrived they did the same, but the dog became agitated and fearing for the public's safety, an officer shot and killed the dog.

The horse was taken to a veterinarian. He required stitches to his nose and his legs.
    Junior

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Would you have shot this dog?

Yea, just saw that video. Probably not

There were a lot of people around and the chance of my hitting someone would be high (deflection). The dog didnt look extremely violent from the clip and it was a horse attacked not a person.

So probably not. If the dog turned on a person or if the crowd wasn't as saturated, yes probably.

(Allegheny County)

You mean as a bystander, if "I" were the police? What?
    I'm not sure what you are asking, but that dog will no longer be biting anyone - as it should be.

ETA: I didn't see the video, I just read what was posted.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Yea, just saw that video. Probably not

There were a lot of people around and the chance of my hitting someone would be high (deflection). The dog didnt look extremely violent from the clip and it was a horse attacked not a person.

So probably not. If the dog turned on a person or if the crowd wasn't as saturated, yes probably.
    My thoughts exactly. From the video it's hard to see whats going on. I would probably not take a shot with that many people in such close proximity. Perhaps a taser would be a better option.

ETA: I should have read the whole article before posting. It said the dog was shot after the attack happened. Probably not a good idea, unless they made sure no one was in the area when they shot it.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; January 2nd, 2011 at 03:57 PM.

(Jefferson County)

I would have shot that dog without any second thought to it. I have absolutely no respect for a dog's life if it bites/attacks a human, pet, livestock, or game(except lawful dog hunts).

Its probably a good thing I'm not King because owners of dogs that attack other people or critters would face dog mauling as a punishment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Beaver County)

I voted no because I would not have shot it there in the street, unless it was a person in the grasp of the dog.

I'm not seeing it being shot in the video, but the dog is attacking a horse in the middle of town. I'd shoot it for sure. I feel bad for the breed of pit bulls. People are breeding them just for a profit and that always makes a mess of a breed. When a dog becomes "cool" it goes down the drain. Look at a German GSD vs an American German Shepard. The differance is night and day. People breed pits when they are aggressive to another aggressive pit, again and again. I guess cause it's cool to put a big chain around it and act all hard,or pull a Vick and use them for fighting.

On that note GO COWBOYS EAGLES CAN SUCK IT.

Love,

your Texas forum member

Quote Originally Posted by Olds98 View Post
    That was a round-about way of twisting thread into Eagles-cowgirls gripe. Enjoy the playoffs. DOH! Oh wait. Enjoy watching the EAGLES in playoffs. LOL! GO BIRDS!

haha. 10char

No:

1. As was stated earlier, it didn't attack or try to attack any person.

2. As was stated earlier, far too many people around.

3. They were able to get the dog off the horse.

4. It sounds like they had plenty of time to implement less-lethal force, such as a taser.

5. Finally, even though it may be legal, I could not so easily take the life of what might be a very loved family member. I know there are negligent owners out there, but there is no way to tell from this story that was the case. Accidents do happen, and sometimes dogs get out. The fact that the dog didn't attack anyone even after getting kicked and pinned down by its neck, makes me believe the dog thought he was protecting people from the horse.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Chuck View Post
    No:

1. As was stated earlier, it didn't attack or try to attack any person.

2. As was stated earlier, far too many people around.
    True, lots of room for error with a shoot in town.

3. They were able to get the dog off the horse.

4. It sounds like they had plenty of time to implement less-lethal force, such as a taser.
    Yes, and yes again. I think I would have kicked that dog as hard as I could in the lower stomach (like a punt). It would of let go quick. Why try to step on it's neck??

5. Finally, even though it may be legal, I could not so easily take the life of what might be a very loved family member. I know there are negligent owners out there, but there is no way to tell from this story that was the case. Accidents do happen, and sometimes dogs get out.
    I don't have much pity that this dog WAS shot though.

The fact that the dog didn't attack anyone even after getting kicked and pinned down by its neck, makes me believe the dog thought he was protecting people from the horse.
    Could very well be the case. Dogs are protective in there own strange ways.

This could have been a dangerous situation for the people on board the carriage also...what if the horse would of spooked and took off into an out of control runaway through town. There were kids on board the article said.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast