Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Best portable generator?

I'm thinking about picking up a portable generator just to keep around the house for emergencies. Since I'm hoping it is gonna be one of those things you don't have to use much I'm trying to keep the cost down but at the same time not get a crapper that will break after a few hours of use.

Since I have very little experience with them I was hoping to get some ideas. I have seen the Honda EU2000 in person and think it is a great unit but I'm a bit shy about spending the $850 on it. Are there any comperable units out there to it? I'm looking for 2000-3000 peak watts for $850 or less. I would also like an inverter type as they are better for sensitive electronincs and usually smaller.

Any ideas?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Best portable generator?

Its that time of year where you will need it. I've got a Powermate and it works well, although since I got it (last year) we've only used it once hehe.

some things to keep in mind when buying a generator:

- What are you going to need to power with it?

- How long do you expect to need it? (Ie: how long is your typical power outage?) and how often?

- Where are you going to get the power into the house? Open doors tend to let in the cold a bit... not a good thing.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Berks County)

I don't usually lose power more than a few times a year and usually for less than 1/2 hr per time. The reason for getting one is for a true emergency where power may be out for days or longer. I want something that I can power a fridge and freezer with as a bare minimum. (or power the heating system) If I can put on a few lights as well that would be icing on the cake. I think around 2000watts SHOULD do it. I know I could go larger but I want to keep costs down if I can.

As far as taping into the house I have a heavy gauge outlet wired into my deck. From what I gathered by talking with another person I can make a heavy gauge cable to plug the genny into that after shutting off the main to the street. I shoudl then be able to power a few small things in the house.(if this is incorrect please someone let me know)

(Chester County)

IMHO, for small gas powered, Hondas can't be beat for price and reliability. Quiet, and will start everytime, no matter how long they sit. But please please please, if you use a generator, make sure the extension chords hanging off of it are rated for the amps you're pulling. Running a TV, fridge and a wood stove fan will heat up Walmart 15 amp chord in seconds, melt the insulation and start a carpet on fire before any electrical failures will shut you down. Also, keep it outside, not in the basement, not in the garage. Carbon monoxide kills, silently. This has been a public service announcement from your friendly neighborhood fire company volunteer, getting ready for another fun filled season of sleepless nights due to careless use of gennies and kerosene heaters.
    Last edited by str8shooter; October 19th, 2008 at 12:08 PM.
    You are a straight white man. You don't get to be the victim, sweetie.

(Lawrence County)

I'm gonna have to say Honda as well... Until Chevy makes generators that is... lol There are probably kits you can buy for venting the exhaust outside if you want to put your genny in the basement. I know at work our genny is a big diesel mother and it's exhaust oes outside and is protected by a flapper... We just haven't filled the tanks with diesel and check to see if it works yet... lol

ChazMOREPOWERman321
    I like guns... And boobs...

I'd go with a honda, they're reliable and most of them run relatively quiet. Buy bigger than you think you'll need. Nothing sucks more than having to worry about if the freezer is running when the fan on the heating system kicks on. Having lights can mean a big difference in morale if the power is out for an extended period of time.

Tapping the generator power into the main of the house can be done, but use a transfer switch. The lives of the power company guys are literally at stake if you kick on the generator and forget to shut off the main. Power will feed back into the lines, possibly shocking the living shit out of a lineworker who thought that they had the power shut down.

http://mayberrys.com/honda/generator/html/transfer.htm

Of course, having a noisy generator running and lights on could possibly lead to added attention from anyone in the surrounding area in a SHTF situation. Something that may or may not be of concern for you.
    Last edited by Lucas; October 19th, 2008 at 12:46 PM.

(Monroe County)

I use a honda eu-2000 to power the sideline equipment for my marching band. It is quiet and reliable. good value

I hope you aren't planning on back-feeding through your house wiring...are you?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    I hope you aren't planning on back-feeding through your house wiring...are you?
    I thought about it since I have a heavy gauge line going to an outside outlet but it might be better just to install a separate line for a genny.......

(Berks County)

Thanks for all the info everybody. I think at this point I may be leaning to the Honda EU2000i like most people are saying. It seems like a reliable unit.(to bad it is so pricy)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast