Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Glock Failures (OMG!)

As I shared in another thread the other day...I finally got a failure in my Glock 19. I've got something like 14k rounds through it since I bought it, used.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/competition-t...tml#post944562
    I shot about 300 rounds, and got 2 double feeds and a FTE. 2 malfunctions were with 1 magazine, another malfunction was with a different magazine.

I felt a round recoil more softly than the others...and began to think that I had a bad batch of ammo. Non the less, I lubed my Glock up a little better with my old standby (20w motor oil) and shot another 200 rounds that day with no more issues.

I stippled my Glock yesterday...and I broke it down today to give it a nice thorough look over. Another guy shooting with me broke his disassembly lever spring the same day, and I replaced it for him at the range (I keep most small parts in my range bag).

Taking it apart, I figured out why I had those malfunctions:

That is my locking block, in two pieces.

Even broken, the pistol ran 500 rounds with 3 malfunctions. I felt a new gritty sensation in the trigger pull, while I was dry firing, and decided to snoop around for some grit under my trigger bar...low and behold, the locking block is broken.

Another testament to how well the Glock is built. Even broken, it still runs. The guy who broke his disassembly spring still was able to shoot the gun (but had 2 doubles).

Not too shabby...
    Last edited by synergy; October 25th, 2009 at 08:50 PM.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Glock Failures (OMG!)

meh..all guns, including glocks, are entitled to a broken part here and there. =P
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Northampton County)

You animal!!! LOL!

(Montgomery County)

Lets hear it for armorer skill sets.

Post this on GlockTalk and you will be labeled a heretic and burned at the stake.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Lets hear it for armorer skill sets.

Post this on GlockTalk and you will be labeled a heretic and burned at the stake.
    Haha! That's why I don't go there.

I'll be up front in saying that I think the 9mm Glock pistol is one of the most reliable/ durable platforms on the market....bar none. I think the HK USP performs just as well...just for more money. So if you want to say "i drink the kool aid" you wouldn't be too far off.

BUT...anything can and will eventually break. My Glock probably has about 20k rounds through it. I have to guess at what went through it before I got it...but it was an NYPD issue gun, and had enough wear to notice on it. My guess is about 5k, or so.

Rule10b5 had the same thing happen on his G32...found it broken when he went to clean it one day. It had been running 100% for him the whole time.

Everything has a service life... I certainly don't feel let down by the product.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah, they break , as do all things mechanical.

I've posted before on this site that my G23 broke a rear rail during a 700+ round training class. I completed the class and had no malfunctions due to the break. Don't know when and didn't realize it till i detailed the pistol a week later.

This pistol was one (E series)that was eventually listed as having been made during the time frame of quite a few of these failures.(2002)
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

the disassembly spring (flat spring, in the frame mechanism) on my G30 broke after about 1500 rounds. it is a part they have apparently made stronger on subsequent production models.

still, i was a bit disappointed. it was the first catastrophic failure (the slide literally fell off as a result) that i have ever experienced in a carry pistol.

if i can fix it with "tap, rack, bang" i don't consider it catastophic.

it was an easy fix and yes, i was called every manner of thing on Glock Talk, for reporting it.

(Allegheny County)

I saw a broken locking block on a G22 this past summer.

If I remember correctly it was caused by a worn out recoil spring.

I'd replace the locking block/pin, and recoil spring.

Does your gun have two or three pins in the frame? Is this a 40S&W?
    Last edited by DaveM55; October 25th, 2009 at 08:42 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I saw a broken locking block on a G22 this past summer.

If I remember correctly it was caused by a worn out recoil spring.

I'd replace the locking block/pin, and recoil spring.

Does your gun have two or three pins in the frame? Is this a 40S&W?
    2 pin, g19, second gen.

Just edited the OP because apparently I'm stupid and never posted what model it is.

The spring wasn't worn on it...they've been replaced every 5k rounds or sooner. Must have been beat on by the previous owner....but yea, that's typically what accelerates the wear on the locking block.
    Last edited by synergy; October 25th, 2009 at 08:56 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    the disassembly spring (flat spring, in the frame mechanism) on my G30 broke after about 1500 rounds. it is a part they have apparently made stronger on subsequent production models.

still, i was a bit disappointed. it was the first catastrophic failure (the slide literally fell off as a result) that i have ever experienced in a carry pistol.

if i can fix it with "tap, rack, bang" i don't consider it catastophic.

it was an easy fix and yes, i was called every manner of thing on Glock Talk, for reporting it.
    This just happened to the guy next to me that day, who was shooting a 23. He had two doubles...then unloaded his gun and I asked to see it.

I looked at it and noticed the disassembly lever fell out. I knew the spring went. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've seen that. I replaced it for him, and he was back up and running. The gun stayed together for him, and cycled fine (despite the double fires).

I'm replacing that spring, along with the locking block (obviously) recoil spring, striker spring, trigger spring, and FP block spring.

I'm gonna give Glock a call tomorrow, get their opinion on that, and some other things I've noticed with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast