Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Shooting A Mauser Action Single Shot??

Does it hurt a controlled round feed gun, (Mauser action), to shoot it single shot by placing a round into the chamber, then close the bolt and fire? I've heard both, it is and it isn't. When I'm at the range I've fired both my Ruger and my CZ 527 this way and haven't experienced any problems, but I don't know if I should be doing this. With the CZ it's kind of a pain to put a round in the magazine, then let the bolt strip it off into the chamber because it takes a lot of force, and it scratches the cases badly. I have 3 magazines for this gun and all have this problem. I've heard it's pretty widespread with this model and caliber of CZ, (.223). What do you guys think? Bill T.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Shooting A Mauser Action Single Shot??

I dont see a reason against single loading a bolt action rifle. I do it fairly often with my Ruger M77Mk.II which is also a Mauser action.

The big no-no with single loading without a magazine comes from autoloaders that do not have firing pin return springs... Slamfire is not cool

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

Do you slip the round into the chamber then close the bolt, or depress it into the magazine and let the bolt carry it into the chamber? Bill T.

(Bucks County)

The extractor must fit around the cartridge rim. If you insert the cartridge into the chamber and then close the bolt you risk damaging the extractor.
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Pukindog View Post
    The extractor must fit around the cartridge rim. If you insert the cartridge into the chamber and then close the bolt you risk damaging the extractor.
    Jeff
    Thats what I've heard, but never seen. If the extractor will slip over the rim while the cartridge is chambered, there must be sufficient clearance for it to do so. If that is in fact the case, where is the danger of extractor damage coming from? I'm not trying to be argumentative, just wondering what takes place when doing this, that will in fact cause damage? Bill T.

(Bucks County)

"They" say that the extractor may get bent due to the force needed to slip the extractor over the rim. When the cartridge is fed from the magazine it is angled up so that the extractor slips over the rim. I once jammed a CZ527 in 7.62X39 real good because I fed the round into the chamber. Somehow the extractor did not slip over the rim and the round would not eject. As a matter of fact the bolt would not travel to the rear.
    Nasty jam. Figured out what happened. (This happened several times until I got wise). I only feed from the clip now.
    Take care,
    Jeff

(Indiana County)

I do that a lot when I load five in the mag. of my mauser and then feed one by pushing down on the five inthe mag. and pushing the bolt forward a just enought to hold the five in the mag down and to prevent the top one in the mag from chambering. I then place a single round in front of the bolt and as i then push it forward the shell naturally slips into the hold head and extractor like it should as normal. This allows for single rounds to be loaded without forceing the extractor over the rim of the case.

Most true Mauser actions are designed to pick up cartridges from the magazine. I have seen some in which the extractor will not snap over the cartridge rim. You can push in on the side of the extractor which will bend it towards the bolt and slightly move the extractor outwards to slip over the rim. It is better to just load from the magazine.

Other Mauser style actions such as the M70 and M77 will snap over the rim although I still feed from the magazine. I see no problem with that. Some Mausers have had the extractor altered by gunsmithing to snap over the cartridge rim. As to wanting to fully load the magazine then loading one in the chamber - I just load the magazine to capacity and load the rifle. I don't think I have ever fired over three shots hunting deer - rarely more than one.