Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: New Model 70

(Susquehanna County)

Default New Model 70

Just came across this site doing some research on a new rifle, lots of info here.
    My question is does anyone have any first hand knowledge of the new Model 70 Winchester? I read about the rifle in American Rifleman but have not been able to find any other information about the rifle. The article in American Rifleman says FN is bringing thie Model 70 back to what it's reputation was built upon (pre-64) and that they will be manfuacturing it in the same facility as their military rifles so quality should be high. Has anyone purchased one yet or had the chance to closley examine, what do you think?
    I'm moving to Alaska this summer and would like to purchase a large caliber rifle (I'm leaning toward .338 Win Mag).
    There are not many production rifles offered in this caliber;
    Winchester Model 70 (most models)
    Browning A bolt/X bolt
    Kimber super america $$$
    Ruger #1 & Hawkeye?
    Remington 700 XCR?
    If anyone would like to comment on any of the rifles above or knows of one I'm missing please chime in. I'm the proud owner of several Ruger #1's which are what I turn to for east coast stand hunting but I would like something lighter and a bit faster handling.
    Thanks,
    gearadrift
    Last edited by Gearadrift; January 19th, 2009 at 01:13 AM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: New Model 70

Wow, I'm jealous. Just can't talk the wife into making the move.

Can't help you much with those particular rifles, except to say you probably want a repeater and not a single shot.

My best friend lives in Juneau and from my visit last summer the consensus for the "If you could only have one gun in Alaska?" question is .338 WM.

I can post a couple pictures if you want, but you've probably been there more than me if you're making the move.

Good luck man!

(Westmoreland County)

The feature that separates the M70 from other modern day rifles is the original mauser controlled feed extractor.

Ruger started to reintroduce the controlled feed extractor in the M77 several years ago but I'm not sure about the hawkeye. However, many people don't care for Ruger's integral bases and factory rings.

Kimber also utilizes the CF extractor but their rifles are at a significantly higher price point than the M70.

It remains to be seen whether or not the quality of the resurrected M70 will equal that of the pre 64 rifles.

For all the modern manufacturing potential at the FN plant in SC, we're concerned about the extent to which FN will be using MIM components. However, anything that is MIM will probably be replaceable with high quality after-market parts. And given that kimber utilizes MIM in their 1911's, I have no doubt there is MIM in their rifles.

FWIW, I'm buying a Featherweight Classic in .308 in 2009.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for the replies. I just learned the new Model 70 isn't due in stores until June. I visited Gander Mtn. and had a look at a few of the other models I mentioned in my original post. They had a Kimber Montana, I'm not too particular for the synthetic look and feel but that gun felt very nice and with the wet weather I will surely see in AK it may not be a bad idea for me to look into synthetic or composite/stainless rifle.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gearadrift View Post
    I just learned the new Model 70 isn't due in stores until June.
    That was June 2008. They're available. I've seen them on the auction sites and just ran into a friend at a gunshop today and he has one.

I visited Gander Mtn. and had a look at a few of the other models I mentioned in my original post. They had a Kimber Montana, I'm not too particular for the synthetic look and feel but that gun felt very nice and with the wet weather I will surely see in AK it may not be a bad idea for me to look into synthetic or composite/stainless rifle.
    If you can swing the premium price of a kimber, they are nice rifles.

(Chester County)

Why not a Pre 64 Model 70? If it was me that is the route I would go.