Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: kimber compact

Default kimber compact

i just purchased a ultra carry kimber 45 with crimson trace laser grips does anyone have one and how well has it worked at the range any problems? its nice for 25 ounces.

(Chester County)

Default Re: kimber compact

Most Kimbers out of the box run pretty tight. You need to give them about 500 rounds to break in. So it is hard to tell with them as to how reliable they will be till you get about 500 rounds through them. But it is a kimber I don't think you should have any problems with it. If you do I am sure Kimber will get you squared away quickly.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

My friend down in NC got a stainless Ultra Carry II and he loves it. Last I heard he had problems feeding some hollowpoints but said that match grade hollowpoints feed fine, haven't heard if it needs breaking in.

(Delaware County)

My ultra carry II (.45) has been flawless through over 1,500 rounds - I feed it Federal Hydrashok's

I just run a mag of carry ammo through it every now and again - I use my Pro Carry Kimbers (.45 and 9mm) for most of my range work
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

(Blair County)

Ultra carry cdp here, no problems at all.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Chester County)

3" 1911's are fussy guns. You're more likely to encounter problems with that platform than most any other.

Kimbers have been known to have tight extractors, overly tight slide to frame fit (lots of initial friction), tight chambers, a series II safety which needs to break in, and slide stops that don't work out of the box (Kimber has an IMPROVED slide stop they'll send you, standard response, when your gun locks back with rounds left in the gun)...etc. All in a gun designed to have a longer slide.

The slides cycle VERY rapidly in a small 1911, and you have to stay up on changing their recoil springs every 800-1000 rounds. You also have a small, light gun transmitting a LOT of recoil to your hand/ wrist...creating a HUGE potential for limp-wrist induced jams.

You also have about half the capacity of an equivalently sized polymer pistol. Reloads are traditionally harder with a 1911 with no magazine well, than in a double stack polymer pistol.

So, on the range performance....lots of jams, lots of people sending their gun back to Kimber, and a lot of trade-ins on S&W J-Frames, Glocks and the like.

Everything Synergy said.

The 3" 1911's aren't range guns, (in fact, they're miserable to shoot at the range) they're pure carry guns. I can't comment on reliability, as the only 3" 1911 I shot was well used and well cared for.

-
    Jim

(Luzerne County)

I carry a ultra carry. I have not had any issues.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by LordJim View Post
    Everything Synergy said.

The 3" 1911's aren't range guns, (in fact, they're miserable to shoot at the range) they're pure carry guns. I can't comment on reliability, as the only 3" 1911 I shot was well used and well cared for. -Jim
    I agree, my Detonics makes a great CC gun, but it's a pita at the range. I do shoot it about every three months at the range when I buy a new box of JHP's for it to eat. Mine runs well on Hornaday 230g +P XTP/JHP's. Was gonna try the TAP stuff, but It's basically the same bullet in a cool black case, I can live with the brass at $12 less a box
    Honesta Mors Turpi Vita Potior ~ 3%

(Luzerne County)

I have an ultra carry II. I never had any problems with ammo. I actually enjoy shooting it too. It is very accurate for a 3in barrel.

My only problem with it is the finish. Its a very delicate finish that marks up pretty easily. I wish I had gotten the stainless.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast