Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default FAKE Officer in Smithfield! Be on the lookout

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbc.../NEWS/90206003

A man posing as a police officer stopped a 22-year-old motorist and tried to pull her from her vehicle, punching her in the face, before she finally was able to escape.

The woman told state police at Swiftwater that this happened at 12:25 a.m. today on Franklin Hill Road, near P&S Garage, in Smithfield Township.

She described the man as black, in his early 30s with a light scar across his left cheek, wearing light blue jeans, a black leather jacket and a black wool winter cap. She said the vehicle he was in had a blue oval light on the dashboard.

She said he approached her vehicle, conversed with her, got her information and then tried pulling her from her vehicle, punching her in her left cheek. She said she was able to free herself and flee the scene.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at (570) 839-7701.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: FAKE Officer in Smithfield! Be on the lookout

I thought blue lights were for volunteer firemen in PA? Don't the PDs use red? Or are they using red and blue?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

yes, you are correct, blue for VF and red or red/blue for LE only. That doesn't negate stupid people and stupid stuff they do. IE, stop for a tear drop sitting on the dash board of an unknown type car.

Pass along: If you believe you are being stopped by an unknown LEO in an unmarked cruiser, Slow to a speed under the posted speed limit, recomended Ten MPH under posted limit, urn on interior light, put on four way flashers, call 911 or local police, and drive to a well lite public areas with people, assuming its at night. Same for daylight but no interior light need be on.

If you get 911, they will advise whether or not its a real officer. Also, if you don't feel safe pulling over for an unmarked cruiser, request a marked unit when calling into 911. Advise you are not running but are merely scared because of it not being a marked unit.

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    yes, you are correct, blue for VF and red or red/blue for LE only.
    Not entirely true... Last time I checked, VF Chiefs and I think Asst Chiefs can and some do use reds for their vehicles.

Pass along: If you believe you are being stopped by an unknown LEO in an unmarked cruiser, Slow to a speed under the posted speed limit, recomended Ten MPH under posted limit, urn on interior light, put on four way flashers, call 911 or local police, and drive to a well lite public areas with people, assuming its at night. Same for daylight but no interior light need be on.

If you get 911, they will advise whether or not its a real officer. Also, if you don't feel safe pulling over for an unmarked cruiser, request a marked unit when calling into 911. Advise you are not running but are merely scared because of it not being a marked unit.
    Excellent advice indeed, we have been ready to do this (esp Tootie) for many years now cause you just don't know ... they should put this type info on the front page of the paper!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Not entirely true... Last time I checked, VF Chiefs and I think Asst Chiefs can and some do use reds for their vehicles.
    yes but they wouldn't be blue then would they?

yes but they wouldn't be blue then would they?
    Last time I checked, VF Chiefs and I think Asst Chiefs can and some do use reds for their vehicles.
    But I think they need to get approval to do so. An old buddy was a VR chief and he used a red light. However, I can't find anything in the code that says they can use it. Just know that they have
    Last edited by chrisjames_71; February 6th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

At one time, all FV had to get permisson and authorization from PSP. I don't know if that was the law or just how they did in my area.

I believe a Chief, asst Chief, their personal vehicles are considered part of the FD and thats why they can have red, or red/white and siren. Don't quote me. Haven't been a VVF/EMT since 1991 or so.

At one time, all FV had to get permisson and authorization from PSP. I don't know if that was the law or just how they did in my area.
    Yeah they still do...

§4572. Visual signals on authorized vehicles.

(a) Flashing or revolving blue lights.--Ambulance personnel, volunteer firefighters and owners and handlers of dogs used in tracking humans may each equip one motor vehicle with no more than two flashing or revolving blue lights.

1. In order to be eligible to display lights on their vehicles under this subsection, the names of the ambulance personnel and volunteer firefighters shall be submitted to the nearest station of the Pennsylvania State Police on a list signed by the chief of the ambulance or fire department or company and each dog owner and handler shall register at the nearest Pennsylvania State Police station.
    2. The manner in which the lights are displayed and their intensity shall be determined by regulation of the department.
    3. The lights shall be operable by the driver from inside the vehicle.
    4. The lights may be used only while en route to or at the scene of a fire or emergency call.
    5. The lights shall be removed from the vehicle within ten days of receipt of notice from the chief of the ambulance or fire department or company to remove the lights upon termination of the person's status as an active volunteer firefighter or ambulance person or upon termination of the person's active status as a dog owner or handler, or when the vehicle is no longer used in connection with the person's duties as a volunteer firefighter or ambulance person or dog owner or handler.
    6. This subsection does not relieve the driver from the duty to drive with due regard for the safety of all persons nor exempt the driver from complying with all provisions of this title.

I believe a Chief, asst Chief, their personal vehicles are considered part of the FD and thats why they can have red, or red/white and siren. Don't quote me. Haven't been a VVF/EMT since 1991 or so.
    Yeah I seem to remember it was the following:
    Fire Chiefs, Assistant Chiefs, Fire Police Capt., 1 Fire Police Lt., Ambulance Commander, Ambulance Commander Assistant, Fire Marshal can use a red light and siren combo.

Not 100% positive though, may have changed.

Fire Police also can use red, if Lieutenant or Captain. There is a law about this but I forget where it is. I'll try to find it.

I found it.

http://www.pafirepolice.org/redblue.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast