Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default PA Budget highlights

THE BIG PICTURE

$26.6 billion in taxes, fees and surpluses
    $2.4 billion in federal stimulus money
    No increase in income or sales taxes

GOING UP

$9.6 billion, up 5%, for Public Welfare Department (aid for low-income adults, disabled and neglected children)
    $5.9 billion, up 5%, for public school instruction and operations
    $1.6 billion, up 10%, for Corrections Department
    $942 million, up 4%, for debt payments
    $514 million, up 9%, for higher education tuition aid

Related Stories
    Rendell budget adds money for Poconos schools
    GOING DOWN

$218 million, or 35% less, for Community and Economic Development Department (grants and other aid to local governments, community organizations and businesses)
    $38.5 million, or 13% less, for Health Department
    $1.5 billion, or 5% less, for universities, colleges and community colleges

BORROWING
    $200 million for bridge repairs, which would be repaid with money from fuel taxes and fees on vehicle registration and drivers licenses.

TAXES

Increase the state cigarette tax by 10 cents a pack to $1.45. Expected to raise $61 million.
    Eliminate the transfer of cigarette tax revenue to a special fund that helps doctors and hospitals pay their medical malpractice bills. Expected to free up $199 million.
    Levy a new tax on other tobacco products, including cigars, snuff and pipe tobacco — 36 cents an ounce for smokeless and loose tobacco and 36 cents per 10 cigars or cigarillos. Expected to generate $38 million by the end of the fiscal year in June 2010.
    Impose a new severance tax on natural gas extraction based on both the value and volume of the gas. Expected to generate $107 million the first nine months it is in effect.
    Eliminate a discount that allows retailers to keep 1% of the money they collect from the state's 6% sales tax if they pay the rest to the state on time. Expected to generate $75 million.
    Give counties the ability to impose a sales tax increase of up to 1% on top of the state's 6% sales tax and share 50% of the proceeds with struggling municipalities.
    Impose a 2% assessment on revenue from some health maintenance and managed-care organizations statewide to help pay for the Medicaid program.
    Continue the scheduled phase-out of the capital stock and franchise tax on businesses, which is scheduled to expire in 2011.

SURPLUSES

Transfer $375 million from the "rainy day" contingency fund.
    Transfer $350 million in surplus money from the medical malpractice fund.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: PA Budget highlights

Dredly, please don't post this stuff. I was perfectly happy with my head burried in the sand---now i am forced to realize it---thanks buddy. 9.6 billion for welfare---wtf do i even go to work for---i need to learn how to not work and get paid.

(Berks County)

Not a fan of welfare at all, but that was already something I knew about. I really don't like this one:

Give counties the ability to impose a sales tax increase of up to 1% on top of the state's 6% sales tax and share 50% of the proceeds with struggling municipalities.
    This one sucks. This is basically going to raise the sales tax in PA to 7%, because what county ISN'T going to impose the tax, whether they need it or not? All so that they can give it to "struggling municipalities", which we all know means urban centers that can't seem to get their act together.

Glad to know that Berks will almost definitely impose this increase so that Reading can get more of my money.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Not a fan of welfare at all, but that was already something I knew about. I really don't like this one:

This one sucks. This is basically going to raise the sales tax in PA to 7%, because what county ISN'T going to impose the tax, whether they need it or not? All so that they can give it to "struggling municipalities", which we all know means urban centers that can't seem to get their act together.

Glad to know that Berks will almost definitely impose this increase so that Reading can get more of my money.
    not sure whats new there. Its been 7% here in Alleghany county for a long time.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    not sure whats new there. Its been 7% here in Alleghany county for a long time.
    In the county or just in the burg? Philly has had the extra 1% for years which is why so many people from Philly shopped in the burbs. Remember Philly is both a city and a county. I'm guessing that this will effectively increase sales tax in Philly and the burg to 8% all the while claiming that its "for the children," what a load of shit.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    In the county or just in the burg? Philly has had the extra 1% for years which is why so many people from Philly shopped in the burbs. Remember Philly is both a city and a county. I'm guessing that this will effectively increase sales tax in Philly and the burg to 8% all the while claiming that its "for the children," what a load of shit.
    in the county

And where do these retard expect us to get the extra monies to pay these increased taxes, oh wait, we'll just print it like the how the federal government is.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    And where do these retard expect us to get the extra monies to pay these increased taxes, oh wait, we'll just print it like the how the federal government is.
    You should know by now that its only OK for the .gov to make pretend money... not its citizens.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Quote Originally Posted by schmol View Post
    Let's face it, they are NOT going to be happy until we are serfs living on the master's property and being 'allowed' a few crumbs for our labor ... been saying it for years, they are going to drive us back to the dark ages.

(Northampton County)

*buries face in hands*

So, what's a good, warm and sunny, pro-gun state? I mean, Arizona and New Mexico are lookin' pretty good, except for the prohibitions of college carry and carrying in establishments serving alcohol...
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast