Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast

Default YOUR thoughts on OC..

This isn't a thread to bash other peoples views(although eventually we know it will get to that point). I am curious on your views of OCing, and for those that do it, why do you(Dont worry i dont expect the truth from you on this question, theres no chance in that)

will anyone admit they do it just for the attention, or just hoping to get into it with an uninformed cop so you can make a thread on your rights being violated? I have just never met anyone who didnt have a politcal agenda of one kind or another while having OC as their main style of carry, whether the admitted it or not its usually quite apparent. There have been times where I OCed, such as the group shoots after because I forgot my IWB, so I am not against it when its a convienience issue but i'm sick of it being done for some sort of agenda, or power trip personally.. I also feel the more its done as an everyday form of carry and not a convienience issue your gonna see tons of laws start popping up becuse of it, and then we are all screwed

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: YOUR thoughts on OC..

I don't care how others carry and therefore won't tell them how to carry. I have a problem with anyone who carries a deadly weapon, regardless of method, and is not properly trained in its use. Yes, i do set a high bar for what i consider "properly trained".

I only hope to see the day where all of those who speak so adamantly about exercising their "rights" are equally obstinate about the accompanying responsibilities.

Any right that's not exercised is lost - eventually.

I don't give one damn what the other person thinks of me.

(Westmoreland County)

I mainly carry concealed just because I like to stay under the radar. I have OC'ed and will do so again just because it is my right to do so. However, I don't have the funds or resources to fight a bad OC LE encounter if it ever were to arise so I prefer to not attract attention. When I do OC it is usually to and from a shoot or one of the PAFOA OC events...etc. I would not OC in the company of my family during a regular family outing...

I may not always OC, but I support everyone that does prefer to do so!

(Allegheny County)

I carry a firearm in the event I need to protect my life, the life of my family or (a very distant third) the life of a stranger from a potentially lethal threat.

I am not interested in being noticed (quite the opposite) nor am I interested in making a political statement.

I have sought and continue to seek professional training on the tactical employment of the pistol.

I agree that PA citizens have a right to OC a firearm if they so desire. I do not agree with the claims that it is essentially "no different" than CC.

I am not an idealist, I look at the world the way it really is, not the way I'd like it to be. If you have a blue mohawk, ride a unicycle, walk your pet emperor penguin on a leash and carry a gun on your hip in plain view you might attract attention to yourself. Just because no one "should" make a scene or call the police or kick you out of their store etc. doesn't mean that it won't happen.

If you are in a crowded bar drinking alcohol and have a gun on your hip in plain view then I think that you are an unserious person. If an LEO approaches you at a gas station and asks you some questions about your firearm and you immediately launch into a political diatribe then I think you're an unserious person. If you choose to carry a firearm publically but have no interest in learning anything from an instructor on when/how to use it then I think that you're an unserious person.

I don't care if one chooses to go through life in an unserious fashion, but when you are unserious and carry a loaded gun then I do care.

I think that OC is appropriate at the gun range, at gun game events, at gatherings like PMSC, during training, etc. I don't have a problem OC'ing going to/from these events. However a concealment garment (lightweight vest) takes approx. 1 second to don.

It is my honest opinion that individuals that carry their pistols openly in plain view welcome any attention that it brings, good or bad. My problem is when they whine about the bad attention.

(Allegheny County)

I OC for two reasons.

Primarily becasue it's just more comfortable and convenient for me. CC is uncomfortable and it's a pain in the neck to access a concealed firearm when you are as large a man as I am.

Secondary to that I OC to raise awareness of firearms ownership and rights. When people ask about the weapon, I answer honestly and concisely.

I do not LOOK for attention, though sometimes the firearm on my hip garners some. I do not actively seek out confrontations with Law Enforcement - and that being said, I've had ONE encounter in MONTHS of OC'ing. That's pretty good in my mind, considering I do most of my OC'ing in urban Pittsburgh.

It has been my experience that 90% of people are so absorbed in their own little world that they don't even SEE the gun. Those who do usually just glance in a surprised way and go about their business.

For example, I had a 20 minute long conversation with a woman at the laundromat a few weeks ago and she didn't even notice my weapon until I pointed it out to her in the course of our conversation, which had terned to her ex and his threatening her and her PFA... Keep in mind I was wearing Tan pants and a bright red/orange shirt, which my black Glock and black Serpa holster contrasted against quite nicely.

OC is just another way to carry. For me, it's nothing more, nothing less. There are times that I CC as well, but it's rare.

(Philadelphia County)

excellent post katar, +6 next time it lets me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    Primarily becasue it's just more comfortable and convenient for me. CC is uncomfortable and it's a pain in the neck to access a concealed firearm when you are as large a man as I am.
    Is it the IWB concealed carry that you find uncomfortable, or is OWB CC uncomfortable to you as well?

(Luzerne County)

It's interesting that a significant percentage of the people whom do not agree with OC make it a point to attack the character of those that do OC.

Some of them are simply not happy with pointing out the personal and practical reasons they prefer CC but feel compelled to belittle others to bolster their choice.

(Westmoreland County)

I CC probably 98% of the time.

I OC when it's convenient. IOW I remove my coat at restaurants and movie theaters. If I stop to gas up my truck and grab a cup of coffee at Sheetz or stop at the ATM for cash I don't bother to don my jacket.

I do like the option but it's not my primary mode of carry.

Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast