Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default DA Lauds Citizen Who Defends Himself

Easton shooting ruled self-defense
    District attorney lauds man who fired at would-be robbers.
    Thursday, December 06, 2007
    By COLIN MCEVOYThe Express-Times

EASTON | A city man defending himself shot one of two would-be muggers Tuesday in what police are calling a "botched robbery."
    Robert Pierce Jr., 27, of Easton, opened fire in self-defense after two men attempted to rob him, put a gun to his head and said they were going to kill him, police said Wednesday.
    "There's real fear here of these young thugs (on) the streets with a gun, trying to take down another citizen of Easton," Northampton County District Attorney John Morganelli said. "Luckily, this time the citizen won. The good guys sometimes prevail."
    Maurice Cook, 22, of Easton, was shot in the abdomen by Pierce after the two exchanged shots Tuesday on South 11th Street, Capt. David Ryan said at a news conference.
    Cook is in stable condition at St. Luke's Hospital in Fountain Hill.
    Tyrone Wright, 22, of Newark, who police said "did the talking" during the attempted robbery, was arrested Tuesday night.
    Wright claimed to be a member of the Crips gang, Morganelli said. But officials said Tuesday night's incident is not related to the "gangland hit" that left three people dead -- including one member of the Bloods -- on the 100 block of North 13th Street last week.
    First a holdup then a shootout
    Pierce was walking alone about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday on the 200 block of South 11th Street when he was approached by Cook and Wright, Ryan said.
    Cook pulled out a handgun while Wright ordered Pierce to "run his pockets." When Pierce backed away, Cook ran behind him and placed the gun at his back, while Wright grabbed his left side and pulled him toward the ground, according to the police affidavit.
    When Cook aimed the gun at Pierce's head and Wright said they were going to shoot him, Pierce fired a shot into the air and the three dispersed. Then the exchange of gunfire ensued.
    "At that point, they obviously put his life in danger of death or serious bodily injury," Morganelli said.

Seven shots were exchanged, including three from Pierce and four from Cook. Two vehicles and a nearby garage were also struck with gunfire, Ryan said.
    Pierce and Wright were not seriously injured, Morganelli said.
    Pierce ran to a nearby relative's house and called the police, Ryan said. At about the same time, police received a call about a gunshot wound victim at 1143 Washington St. Cook and Wright fled to the house, where, Ryan said, "two female acquaintances" lived.
    Police recovered Cook's .45-caliber semiautomatic handgun, Ryan said. Pierce used a .357 Taurus revolver.
    Morganelli said Wright and Cook will be charged with robbery, conspiracy to commit robbery, aggravated assault and conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, all of which are first-degree felonies.
    The two men had not been arraigned by late Wednesday night. Wright was jailed at Northampton County Prison for providing a false name to police, Ryan said.

RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS

Police determined Pierce, who had a permit for the concealed weapon, acted in self-defense and will not face criminal charges, he said.
    Morganelli said this was a "crystal clear" case of a law-abiding citizen protecting himself with a firearm, a right he said he supports when no other options are available.
    "When you commit robberies and you have guns in your possession, you may find that your victim is armed and you may get shot," Morganelli said. "But you know what? You're not going to be complaining about it in Northampton County, because I'm going to err on the side of the citizen who has a right to protect himself."
    Reporter Colin McEvoy can be reached at 610-258-7171 or by e-mail at cmcevoy@express-times.com.
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Chester County)

Default Re: DA Lauds Citizen Who Defends Himself

Quote Originally Posted by Plinker View Post
    Police determined Pierce, who had a permit for the concealed weapon, acted in self-defense and will not face criminal charges, he said.
    Morganelli said this was a "crystal clear" case of a law-abiding citizen protecting himself with a firearm, a right he said he supports when no other options are available.
    "When you commit robberies and you have guns in your possession, you may find that your victim is armed and you may get shot," Morganelli said. "But you know what? You're not going to be complaining about it in Northampton County, because I'm going to err on the side of the citizen who has a right to protect himself."
    WOWOWOW!!! Man, the people of Northampton County are lucky to have a DA like this. He's a model for all the other DA's in the state to follow.

Thanks for posting.

Slim
    "How do you tell a Communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an Anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin."- Ronald Reagan

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"- Patrick Henry

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Plinker View Post
    MORGANELLI FOR PRESIDENT!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave D. View Post
    MORGANELLI FOR PRESIDENT!
    Maybe Governor Morganelli first? He'd get my vote, either way !
    My dog "Ruger" is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.

Pray for our troops....and a little extra for our snipers.

(Montgomery County)

I'd vote for him!

(Berks County)

It is about time that the DA's around this state see what is actually going on. I think this will make other DA's think before they throw a law abiding citizen in jail that was defending him self. YAAAAAA.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Centre County)

I'm relocating to Northampton County
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Philadelphia County)

Pierce was walking alone about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday on the 200 block of South 11th Street when he was approached by Cook and Wright, Ryan said.
    Cook pulled out a handgun while Wright ordered Pierce to "run his pockets." When Pierce backed away, Cook ran behind him and placed the gun at his back, while Wright grabbed his left side and pulled him toward the ground, according to the police affidavit.
    When Cook aimed the gun at Pierce's head and Wright said they were going to shoot him, Pierce fired a shot into the air and the three dispersed. Then the exchange of gunfire ensued. "At that point, they obviously put his life in danger of death or serious bodily injury," Morganelli said.

Am I missing something or why does Morganelli say, after there was an exchange of gunfire that "at that point" citizen's life was in danger?

Wasn't his life in danger the moment these animals drew a gun on him?

Maybe it's just the way it was reported but I'm not thrilled with a DA who lets him go only because he actually got shot at. Was it a tough call to say that was a clean shoot?

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Philadelphia View Post
    Wasn't his life in danger the moment these animals drew a gun on him?

Maybe it's just the way it was reported but I'm not thrilled with a DA who lets him go only because he actually got shot at. Was it a tough call to say that was a clean shoot?
    I'm with you, impossible to tell from a news article.

(Perry County)

Just had to quote this again. Almost seems like it is out of a fantasy tale. What's that they say about things too good to be true?
    We the people have not only the right but the responsibility to hang tyrants for treason.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast