Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default just got a glock-19, 2 questions

Last edited by vinterkald; April 13th, 2008 at 03:00 PM.

(Venango County)

Default Re: just got a glock-19, 2 questions

Not sure about glocks but most semi autos (incl. rifles) you would place in a full mag, charge the action and release. Make the weapon safe, drop the magazine, top-off the magazine again and reinsert.

do not ever load a bullet directly into the chamber, always load from the magazine. if you'd like after you put the one in the chamber to replace it, take out the mag and replace it there, stick the mag back in and your good to go.. I dont think I should have to tell you 20times to make sure its unloaded before cleaning or anything like that, but obviously be careful doing this, if done right your not in harms way but at the same time you could die doing it if you aren't smart about it. and remember guns are always loaded!

as for cleaning thats your call, I generally keep mine clean but its gone 500rounds without being cleaned with no problems, and i've personally seen a glock with over 18K rounds that was never cleaned and heard of them with 30K

sounds like your kind of new to guns may I suggest a training course? What is the purpse of the handgun?

(Allegheny County)

First, congratulations on your purchase of an excellent weapon. I, personally, and a big fan of Glock firearms and I carry a Glock 22 every day.

Quote Originally Posted by vinterkald View Post
    1) the standard magazine holds 15 rounds and the chamber is supposed to hold an extra round(the manual repeatedly says to make sure to empty the chamber when unloading the gun), so this 16th round is placed manually directly into the chamber when the slide is pulled back? i tried to put one there and it didn't seem to fit snugly so i took it out because the manual says not to experiment
    No, the round will not be placed properly loading it this way.
    The proper procedure is to load a round into the magazine, insert the magazine and rack the slide.

HOWEVER the only time is it reasonably safe to carry a round loaded in the chamber (with a Glock) is when you carry the gun in a holster that COMPLETELY covers the trigger and trigger guard so that NOTHING can touch the trigger accidentally. (this is becasue of the lack of a locking safety mechanism on a Glock)

I recommend the Blackhawk CQC SERPA holsters for OWB, and Kydex (sp?) for IWB.

2) the manual says gun should be field-stripped and cleaned with lubricants after everytime it is fired. is this just a pre-caution taken on their part? what if only 50-100 rounds are fired, would the gun really need to be disassembled and cleaned after so short a practice?
    1 round, 100 rounds or 1,000 rounds. It doesn't matter, clean the gun. You are trusting your LIFE to this weapon. You are depending on it functioning perfectly each and every time you pull the trigger.

Personally, I clean my G22 once a week, even if it's not been fired, as well as immediately when I get home from the range.

Keep the weapon well oiled, but not OVERLY oiled. I recommend Hoppe's #9 solvent for cleaning and Weaponsheild brand oil for lubricant.

After shooting use a brass or copper brush soaked in Hoppe's on the inside of the barrel, followed by a coten or Kimtex patch also soaked in Hoppes. Repeat this several times until the inside of the barrel appears smooth and shiny. Then, run a patch soaked in gun oil down the barrel, to protect the steel.

The rest of the gun wipe down with Hoppe's on cotton or Kimtex cloth and use q-tips to get in the tight areas (but be sure not to leave any lint), then oil in the recommended places.

On my Glock, I pull and clean the firing pin and extractor after shooting, but not in the weekly cleaning ritual.

One other thing I should add... Get a grip plug for your Glock. It's a plastic plug that covers the opening next to the magazine. I found that when carrying, dust used to collect in here, and it's a direct line up to the firing mechanism. They only cost about $6, and are well worth it for keeping the internals of your firearm clean.

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by lildobe; December 1st, 2007 at 05:06 PM.

I personally don't feel comfortable carrying a gun that i've totally stripped before firing, alot of the times i'll fire a mag threw it after I clean it and carry it like that until the next time i put alot of rounds threw it..

xditsaglock45

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    I personally don't feel comfortable carrying a gun that i've totally stripped before firing, alot of the times i'll fire a mag threw it after I clean it and carry it like that until the next time i put alot of rounds threw it..
    I dry fire several cycles before I re-load... but I just don't feel comfortable with leaving all of the crap that smokeless powder leaves behind in my firearm.

(Delaware County)

I'll take my shot at your questions. Others may certainly differ somewhat with what I say but that is one of the fun things about this forum.

1) The standard magazine holds 15 rounds and the chamber is supposed to hold an extra round (the manual repeatedly says to make sure to empty the chamber when unloading the gun), so this 16th round is placed manually directly into the chamber when the slide is pulled back? i tried to put one there and it didn't seem to fit snugly so i took it out because the manual says not to experiment

a) Yes the Glock 19 hold 15+1; 15 in the mag + 1 round on the chamber

b) The manual repeatedly stress the "make sure that the chamber is empty" because people DIE by ignoring that rule. Aways keep in mind that the Glock and most (not all) other autos will still fire with the mag removed if there is still a round in the chamber. There have been more than a couple serious and sometimes deadly accidents where the person removes the mag but forgets to clear the chamber. The Glocks (and some other brand as well) require that the trigger be pulled as part of field stripping the handgun for cleaning. This has resulting in negligent discharges that at the very let scare that he** out of you and could kill you or someone else.

c) IMO the proper way to load any auto that you are carrying is as follows:
    c1 - fully load the mag (in this case with 15 rounds)
    c2 - insert and fully seat the loaded mag in the handgun
    c3 - cycle the slide thus loading the chamber
    c4 - remove the mag from the handgun
    c5 - holster the handgun in the holster that is already on your belt
    c6 - load the 15th round into the mag
    c7 - insert and fully seat the loaded mag in the handgun WITHOUT removing the handgun from the holster

Many people will elect to not do steps c4 - c7 because they chose to carry with 14 rounds in the mag. Some feel that this practice slightly improves dependability but I have not experienced issues with fully loaded mags myself so I elect to carry fully loaded mags.

WARNING - NEVER load a round directly into the chamber of any auto. You can damage the extractor and in some case risk a slam fire occurring which could ruin the handgun and more importantly kill someone as a result of the negligent discharge.

2) The manual says gun should be field-stripped and cleaned with lubricants after every time it is fired. Is this just a pre-caution taken on their part? What if only 50-100 rounds are fired, would the gun really need to be disassembled and cleaned after so short a practice?

I think that you will get different slightly different answers to the cleaning question but here is my 2 cents worth. It can never hurt to clean the handgun. However, if I get to go to the range weekly or even bi-weekly I would say that you would be fine cleaning every other trip or so. Now I would recommend wiping the powder residue from the exterior of the handgun because it can harm the finish. No I know that some will argue that you should clean after every range trip and I CERTAINLY will not argue that for a second.

The Glock does not require a lot of lubrication so do not get carried away in that department.

Sorry for the long reply but you ask a lot of questions.
    Good luck with the Glock and Be Safe.
    Last edited by shermdo; December 1st, 2007 at 05:05 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TaePo View Post
    Not sure about glocks but most semi autos (incl. rifles) you would place in a full mag, charge the action and release. Make the weapon safe, drop the magazine, top-off the magazine again and reinsert.
    yep, what he said :-)

You dont HAVE to clean it every time, especially with a glock, but it is a good idea. Personally I like cleaning my guns, it meditative, and as close as I get to holy ritual.

(Centre County)

TaePo covered it on the "topping off" issue.

As for cleaning, I have 5 glocks. Should you clean after every trip to the range, well I wouldn't look at you funny if you said you did. For glocks, I don't. If it's my carry gun (glock 23) I will clean it every 2 months weather I shoot it or not and that is about it unless I am taking a class. I average about 3-4K through that gun a year and have yet to have a problem that was not caused by the magazine. Otherwise the glocks get cleaned when I feel like it. Infact I have a glock 19 http://www.pafoa.org/forum/gun-pictures-24/6177-now-something-completely-different.html
    that I shoot ONLY suppressed which blows TONS of carbon foweling back into the action and internals of the gun. I still can get away with only cleaning it every few range trips so it really comes down to YMMV. Should I clean my guns every trip, sure. Do I? No. (I know rain hell down on me now)

PS, I've also stuck the suppressed 19 into the dishwasher becasue I was to lazy to strip it the whole way down... no ill effects noted from that.

Cheers,
    Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by vinterkald View Post
    2) the manual says gun should be field-stripped and cleaned with lubricants after everytime it is fired. is this just a pre-caution taken on their part? what if only 50-100 rounds are fired, would the gun really need to be disassembled and cleaned after so short a practice?
    The other advice on loading is essentially correct so let me address this question.

I routinely go several thousand rounds between cleanings on my glock. I certainly wouldn't look down on anyone who cleans theirs more often, just like I don't condemn the numerous folks who clean theirs less often. (none of us have problems)

When i clean my glock, i detail strip the slide and use hot water and dish soap on a toothbrush. Sometimes i'll use a brass brush to clean the chamber if it's really messy. I use a stiff nylon bore brush on the barrel (the one that comes with your glock) and q-tips or pipe cleaners in the small holes. No solvents, just soap and water. Nothing gets it cleaner. Then i hit the parts with a hair dryer.

Do not over oil your glock. I personally use a q-tip and satuare one end with oil (this is enough to do the entire gun). hit the recommended lubrication paints pictured below with a super thin coat of oil

Don't get any lube in the firing pin channel.
    Last edited by MarcS; December 1st, 2007 at 06:52 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast